Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep's new computer!

Default Jeep's new computer!

I ordered parts for my first computer build! I'm so excited. Here's what i got:

Q9400
    Sapphire 4850 512MB
    500 GB Seagate Barracuda
    Vista Home Premium 64
    Office Enterprise (For 20 bucks through HUP (Look it up)
    2X2 G Skill DDR2 [email protected] 5-5-5-15
    LG DVD Burner
    Antec 300 W/ 3 extra Blue LED 120 MM fans
    750 watt PC Power & Cooling Cross Fire Edition PSU
    ASUS P5Q
    Arctic Silver 5

Big upgrade from my current laptop!

redtails

Looks sweet, although I have no clue how high the Sapphire 4850 ranks, half a gigabyte of vram is normal these days

The 48xx is the high-end market for ATI, the 9850 being something that compete's with a 9800GTX+.

Loving the rig bro, nice buy!

Not bad. Though the 4850, you should go for one with more VRAM. And Radeons don't play well with Intel Processors... I'd suggest getting an AMD with the Radeon.

More then 512 MB of video ram is only useful if you play a high resolutions.

Not bad. Though the 4850, you should go for one with more VRAM. And Radeons don't play well with Intel Processors... I'd suggest getting an AMD with the Radeon.
    O_O You must be smoking. A 4870 X2 would scream with a Q9500.

More then 512 MB of video ram is only useful if you play a high resolutions.
    That's debatable. My GTS 250 with 1GB of GDDR3 will load maps, textures, etc on things like CoD4, CoD5, etc faster than the same GPU with only 512MB of VRAM, and will be able to keep them loaded in RAM more often thanks to the headroom. I played on 1024x768 for a while to prove my theory, although now I play at 1600x1200.

a antec 300 seems like a pretty small case though..

In all honestly, I would of gotten 8gb of RAM instead of 4gb. RAM is super cheap nowadays. Also, why 32bit Vista? You've got 4gb of RAM and a video card, 32bit OSes can ONLY support a TOTAL of 4gb of memory. So, you'll get more like 3.8gb of RAM with that. Also, why Home Premium? Vista Ultimate x64bit is only $180 from Newegg if you buy the OEM version.

@Fire2box: I've got an Antec 300 case and yes it's small, but if you know how to cable manage you can get some good airflow going on. I've got 2 120mm fans up front where the hard drive rack is as intake fans, the side when it was on was intake and it was right over my gfx card which helped keep it cooled. The top fan was intake, it's a huge 200mm fan over the CPU. The two back fans are exhaust. My temps in there with an almost 1ghz OC (3ghz to 3.8ghz) are around 37C idle and 48C under load.

redtails

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    In all honestly, I would of gotten 8gb of RAM instead of 4gb. RAM is super cheap nowadays. Also, why 32bit Vista? You've got 4gb of RAM and a video card, 32bit OSes can ONLY support a TOTAL of 4gb of memory. So, you'll get more like 3.8gb of RAM with that. Also, why Home Premium? Vista Ultimate x64bit is only $180 from Newegg if you buy the OEM version.

@Fire2box: I've got an Antec 300 case and yes it's small, but if you know how to cable manage you can get some good airflow going on. I've got 2 120mm fans up front where the hard drive rack is as intake fans, the side when it was on was intake and it was right over my gfx card which helped keep it cooled. The top fan was intake, it's a huge 200mm fan over the CPU. The two back fans are exhaust. My temps in there with an almost 1ghz OC (3ghz to 3.8ghz) are around 37C idle and 48C under load.
    lulwut you overclocked your cpu 800mHz..? That's 27% overclocking you know. This is a shit-ass computer, the power supply is too weak for the gpu and cpu to be OC'd simultaneously, so I can only push mine up about 20% if I intend to use it for something intense like a regular game. Your attempt sounds much more epic, though!