Driving - Manual Vs Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick, from the beginning (took my test in a hot 4-speed).

Currently a (8-speed to 13-speed) stick, with 18 wheels to pull/push around the USA, in diapers 24/7, of course.

I've driven a 2015 Freightliner automatic, but felt like I could fall asleep, sine the tranny was doing all the shifting.

Last edited:
Driving a manual trans car is definitely more fun...I actually prefer it. My best and most favorite story was when I picked my 13 year old son up at school after purchasing a new car with a manual trans. He walked up to get in and as he sat down and realized it was a 5 spd, he said, "Awesome Mom, I never knew that you could drive one of these!" I felt like the coolest Mom ever.

the first time a drove a manual was when my dad got his first tractor for his company. it was a kubota B2100 with three speeds.(it got stolen and was never recovered) a few years ago I got a 1943 GMC CCKW that was manual and that taught me the double clutching although I still can't shift down.Just three months ago my parents got me a jeep wrangler with a 5 speed and I picked it up with no problems since my CCKW has problems and hasn't been driven in a long time and I was nervous about having trouble. I hope to one day learn how to drive a semi but because I have sezuries and need meds for the rest of my life it sounds like it will never ever happen although I'm still going to try.

Experiment626 said:
the first time a drove a manual was when my dad got his first tractor for his company. it was a kubota B2100 with three speeds.(it got stolen and was never recovered) a few years ago I got a 1943 GMC CCKW that was manual and that taught me the double clutching although I still can't shift down.Just three months ago my parents got me a jeep wrangler with a 5 speed and I picked it up with no problems since my CCKW has problems and hasn't been driven in a long time and I was nervous about having trouble. I hope to one day learn how to drive a semi but because I have sezuries and need meds for the rest of my life it sounds like it will never ever happen although I'm still going to try.
It took me 14 years to get my Seizures under control. Then you get that. Parents are scared to let you drive because you could have one or it might happen. Pain in the padded rear.

Lestat said:
It took me 14 years to get my Seizures under control. Then you get that. Parents are scared to let you drive because you could have one or it might happen. Pain in the padded rear.
You got it to a T! I was the only one of 5 siblings to get my license at 16 and I felt comfy driving then I had my sezuries at 18 so I couldn't drive for about four years then I could with another person but it felt like I was 15 1/2 all over again! Nervous as hell and what not.Now I can drive alone but it has never been the same.

I prefer stick but I've owned automatics too. Wife won't learn stick. :(

I have owned eight cars in my life and they were all manual. I read that only 4% of all new cars sold in the US are manuals so it is getting very hard for me to find one. I own a 2004 Acura TL with a manual but Acura dropped it in the 2015 redesign. I don't even know it Toyota offers one in the US, Subaru is dropping them. My best bet at this point in an Audi A4. I don't understand the American market but I am definitely an outlier.

Yeah, not many are made with manual transmissions. Most models have dropped it completely & you can't even get it as an option. With so few being made, it's getting to the point where someone that wants a manual, might have to buy a new one, ordered from the factory.

Started driving with a manual around 11/10 Was driving electric car/buggies from around 7/8(98ish) And started learning to drift manual cars around 13(that did not last long. >.> scary yo!)

I rather Automatic for my daily commute though(all .2miles of it.[I walk some days if I wake up early enough and don't have other errands.]), just more pleasant and less distracting.

I've driven:
Cars
Trucks(F350, things like that.)
Kuboto Tractors
Kuboto front end loaders
Fork Lifts (dem certs.)
Kuboto Bush hogging tractors(the big ones.)
Front end loaders

and a bunch of other varying things that I don't drive anymore.

I prefer to drive manual as they offer more control and I've always gotten better gas mileage out of them. It's sad though, living in America, to get a newer car with a manual, you're pretty much limited to expensive sports cars and not much else.

BMW only sells automatics is the US starting this year. The only exception is the M3.

Chanch0 said:
I prefer to drive manual as they offer more control and I've always gotten better gas mileage out of them. It's sad though, living in America, to get a newer car with a manual, you're pretty much limited to expensive sports cars and not much else.

not really, Chevy Aveo comes with a 6 speed manual Auto cost more, same with dodge dart, cobalt was same during its run, Ford Focus As well, there are lots you just have to look at the books also dealers only stock autos you have to ask for manual and alot of vehicles still have them if you ask they can find one

w0lfpack91 said:
not really, Chevy Aveo comes with a 6 speed manual Auto cost more, same with dodge dart, cobalt was same during its run, Ford Focus As well, there are lots you just have to look at the books also dealers only stock autos you have to ask for manual and alot of vehicles still have them if you ask they can find one

Yeah, I guess you're right. And Acura offers most of their vehicles with both types of transmissions. I'm just disappointed with the typical American market lol

For me driving is a chore and the less I have to think about it the better. Highway driving is just so much nicer with automatic transmission and cruise control. I'm basically just counting down the days until I can get my hands on a self driving car or even things like automated highway driving assist and automated parking. The more of the driving the car does the happier I am, because driving sucks.

Near said:
For me driving is a chore and the less I have to think about it the better. Highway driving is just so much nicer with automatic transmission and cruise control. I'm basically just counting down the days until I can get my hands on a self driving car or even things like automated highway driving assist and automated parking. The more of the driving the car does the happier I am, because driving sucks.

Why drive then ? If you hate it that much ?

parcelboy2 said:
Why drive then ? If you hate it that much ?

What percentage of people do you think drive because they like it? That's like asking someone why they go to work when they'd rather do something else with their day.

well we do have mass transit for people that don't like to drive are cant drive, as a buss driver I find that a lot of my passengers in joy having someone else drive for them.
But for me I do a lot of back road driving for camping and so on, so self driving cars will not cut it for me.

DBBaby said:
well we do have mass transit for people that don't like to drive are cant drive, as a buss driver I find that a lot of my passengers in joy having someone else drive for them.
But for me I do a lot of back road driving for camping and so on, so self driving cars will not cut it for me.

Not all areas have mass transit tho. I'll admit driving is sometimes a chore & I don't always want to drive. There are times when I do enjoy getting to drive. I'm in a rural area, & I do a lot of back road driving / pasture driving, when I'm checking my cattle or checking on different things.

Mattew said:
Not all areas have mass transit tho. I'll admit driving is sometimes a chore & I don't always want to drive. There are times when I do enjoy getting to drive. I'm in a rural area, & I do a lot of back road driving / pasture driving, when I'm checking my cattle or checking on different things.
most areas don't have mass transportation.
although we, here, have fairly good access to road networks, public transport has been something of a ball-ache requiring at least two buses to get anywhere, as would be needed by the socio-economics and infrastructures policies of government (housing, schools, shops and places of work are only where they are because of government say-so) and meaning that any reasonable trip takes at least an hour.
even going to the next two villages down the road requires one to go in another direction to the main interchange to get another bus to the villages from the other direction, taking about an hour; you can walk to the first village in ten minutes (great, if you're not elderly or infirm).
the enforced commute [by government] is also copied by employers, who refuse to employ 'local' folk.

and i say 'local' suchwise because of the way in which it's used on a criminal level by government and employers to mean anything they want. but 'local', meaning 'this place', is very specific and the english words for it show so: here, spot, stow.
'local' refers to a specific place, complete with it's place-name; it's not some vague area or area of bureaucratic governance [which can be changed willy-nilly], it's a physical place and described so in it's place-name.

as you see, one of my pet-hates, but only because there's loads of work in our village, just none for local folk.
and then throw-in the shift-work that we're forced to do and public transport is non-existent.

Acura manuals

Chanch0 said:
Yeah, I guess you're right. And Acura offers most of their vehicles with both types of transmissions. I'm just disappointed with the typical American market lol

Acura only offers manuals in the ILX which is nothing more than a glorified Civic. I drive a 04-TL manual but they dropped them when they redesigned the TL in 15. This is the US market so I am curious if Acuras in other countries offer more transmission options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back