Driving - Manual Vs Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a heavy truck licence. I have driven every thing from auto to manual in cars. Up to large buss what I drive part time, and 5 ton snow plow trucks for the highway. the hardest ones are the older tracker/tandems without trailers.(I don't have a tracker and trailer licence). the strait cut gears can be tricking double clutching the older truck.
Rite now I have a f350 4 speed manual trainee.

Cook said:
Whenever I see someone driving an automatic, I immediately think they're a bad driver (blame my dad for that!).

That is an ignorant and cocky way of thinking. It's honestly people like you that cause the most accidents on the road.

FauxPas said:
That is an ignorant and cocky way of thinking. It's honestly people like you that cause the most accidents on the road.

Now, now.

I think you meant "most accidents per capita". ;->

But actually, I agree. I mean... texting and driving, and driving a manual transmission? That's a recipe for a serious accident! Get an automatic transmission so that you don't have to hold your phone in your mouth and type "be right there" with your tongue. What are these manual tranny drivers trying to be, anyway? Drivers, or one-man bands? Free limbs are a good thing, people! If I have to set my latte down at any point while driving to work, I consider that a failure of automotive engineering. The pleather-wrapped phallus jutting out of the center console of my automatic car gets enough action as it is.

Cottontail said:
What are these manual tranny drivers trying to be, anyway? Drivers, or one-man bands?

*slowly sets down accordion and sousaphone* No, nobody wants to be a one-man band. Whatever gave you that idea?

Cottontail said:
Now, now.

I think you meant "most accidents per capita". ;->

But actually, I agree. I mean... texting and driving, and driving a manual transmission? That's a recipe for a serious accident! Get an automatic transmission so that you don't have to hold your phone in your mouth and type "be right there" with your tongue. What are these manual tranny drivers trying to be, anyway? Drivers, or one-man bands? Free limbs are a good thing, people! If I have to set my latte down at any point while driving to work, I consider that a failure of automotive engineering. The pleather-wrapped phallus jutting out of the center console of my automatic car gets enough action as it is.

Using a mobile(cell) phone in any type of vehicle is bad manual or other wise and is banned in the UK and comes with a 3 point £100 fine minimum up to a prison sentence for death by dangerous driving

FauxPas said:

In the UK many people think that if it's not a higher end car where auto is the only trans option. Not many people buy an auto willingly.

There are tons of new manual cars in Germany still. And I can see the benefits of both. For me manual still is a bit more fun to drive, but I could totally see me opting for auto when my main use for the car is stop and go traffic to work each day.

Fawuko said:
There are tons of new manual cars in Germany still. And I can see the benefits of both. For me manual still is a bit more fun to drive, but I could totally see me opting for auto when my main use for the car is stop and go traffic to work each day.
Europe seems to be more manual car orientated as most models are the same all over europe

My wife and I have owned eight cars - all sports, all manual.

Last edited:
Having grown up and living in Italy, the majority of the cars I've driven are manual, and apparently that's still the standard here around the old continent.

I used not to be a fan of automatic transmission until... I visited the U.S. a few years ago and drove around in a car equipped with it :biggrin: That was the first time I experienced driving 700+ km in one day (VA to NYC) and getting to destination as fresh and relaxed as I had started the trip.

My fav kind of automatic is the authentic old school torque-converter automatic trans, vs. the electro-actuated sequential trans that they put in most of the "automatics" here in EU, which are nothing else than regular gearboxes and clutches operated by a mechanism instead of manually. CVTs are so-and-so but still better than sequential - at least you don't get power gaps between one gear and the other being that there's no actual "gears" - and I've yet to try a WV DSG although it sounds as sort of acceptable compromise.

I can see the fun in driving a sports car around a race track with a manual trans (even though most race cars, including F1, now just use sequential!), but for an everyday drive, especially in heavy traffic like we have over here, I'll never understand people who willingly choose to have to keep shifting a million times a day when there's a way to have the car do it for you. The widespread thought is that automatic is less reliable and more expensive to repair, but automatic has actuallty been around (at least in the USA) since the '40s, so it's far from being some experimental and exotic technology that you can't trust. Besides, not having to continuously shift means you can put 100% of your concentration on the road and both of your hands can stay on the wheel all of the time, which makes for a much safer way to drive.

All in all, if I had to get myself a daily driver, that'd be an automatic for sure. One of my classic cars is, but it doesn't get out of the garage very often :p

FauxPas said:

Please elaborate on how my driving 'causes the most accidents on the road'. That's more ignorant and cocky than anything I've said.

I'm not saying someone driving an automatic is a bad driver... This was my dad's opinion and after hearing it multiple times growing up, it's my initial thought but no way my last! My uncle drives a Challenger 2 Tank and drives an automatic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cook said:
I'm not saying someone driving an automatic is a bad driver... This was my dad's opinion and after hearing it multiple times growing up, it's my initial thought but no way my last! My uncle drives a Challenger 2 Tank and drives an automatic.

But that's exactly what you said in your OP. Word for word. Like it or now what I said stands. An attitude like that is what gets people hurt. Maybe I'm more pissed at the comment than I should be, but the other night I got ran off the road by a truck that decided because he drove a truck in the snow he could speed and try to go around me on a 2 lane road. Needless to say his attitude of I'm a better driver and I'm in a truck put my life at risk.

Sooo maybe next time you want to call other people bad drivers maybe you should stop and think for a second "I'm human and I have made mistakes, I'm a good driver. But still have a lot to learn" trust me on that it will fucking save your life or someone else's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pretty much was the person you were looking for as I am your typical American who like most Americans, does not drive a stick, nor do I have a desire to learn.

Cottontail said:
I'm also one of those ultra-lazy, so-easygoing-it-makes-passengers-mad drivers who changes lanes miles in advance of when he has to because he doesn't want to bother with merging. I also take the first empty spot I come to in a parking lot.
This. I am the exact same way, and I always piss people off for parking far away and forcing them to walk because I don't want to hunt for a parking space a few feet closer. So I do not have the energy or desire to learn to drive a stick shift. Add in the point about how they're not green and all reliable on fossil fuels and its an open and shut case for me on whether I'm going to learn to drive a manual.

Unless they are driving on the highway, drivers of stick vehicles do have to focus more on their driving. Whether that makes them better drivers or not is questionable.

Bad drivers are those who do not take the activity seriously enough, e.g. those with entitlement attitudes who speed, tailgate and expect everyone to get out of their way, those who run red lights, drive impaired or distracted, and those who do not wear their seat belts. Comedian Tracy Morgan takes absolutely no responsibility for his injuries even though they would have been substantially mitigated if he had been wearing a seat belt. I read reports of people being thrown from their vehicles seemingly daily.

All my trucks have been manual, and i would never buy a 4X4 that was not manual as manuals run cooler when Rock crawling.
Plus my next jeep 4X4 has to be able to be towed behind my class A motorhome.
and i can put a PTO takeoff on a manual to run a generator.

Cars i do drive with automatics as they do get higher MPG.

My car has no transmission at all (well not an adjustable one). The electric motor drives a fixed gearing to the wheels. I have to remember when I go back to a conventional manual/automatic that I can't do things like throw the car into reverse while it's moving forward like I can with the electric.

I reckon the reason Europe love manuals is the fact we have a lot of small twisty steep roads which suit manual boxes
where as US has loads of long straights and suits Auto's
Also Now German truck maker MAN charges extra for a manual box now

parcelboy2 said:
I reckon the reason Europe love manuals is the fact we have a lot of small twisty steep roads which suit manual boxes
where as US has loads of long straights and suits Auto's

Yup -- that's pretty much it. It's also why Europeans like firm suspension and American cars wobble like you're on a waterbed if you try to go round a corner!

I don't drive any more, but (as a Brit), I only drove cars with manual transmissions for a long time. I had a courtesy car once that was automatic and it was horrible. I didn't feel nearly as in control. You can't use the gearbox to brake or adjust the traction and power like you can when you decide when the damn thing decides to change gear!

But that doesn't matter on long motorway journeys... and a couple of times I got stuck in stop-start traffic and it was heavenly to be able to relax my clutch leg!

tiny said:
Yup -- that's pretty much it. It's also why Europeans like firm suspension and American cars wobble like you're on a waterbed if you try to go round a corner!

I don't drive any more, but (as a Brit), I only drove cars with manual transmissions for a long time. I had a courtesy car once that was automatic and it was horrible. I didn't feel nearly as in control. You can't use the gearbox to brake or adjust the traction and power like you can when you decide when the damn thing decides to change gear!

But that doesn't matter on long motorway journeys... and a couple of times I got stuck in stop-start traffic and it was heavenly to be able to relax my clutch leg!
The only auto i owned was when i was just commuting across town (Worthing W Sussex ) and had to go through about 10 sets of lights and countless roundabouts also i finished around or just after lunch time so lots of slow OAP's driving ::wallbash: plus i was driving a Auto dustcart all day and had a tendency to for get to de clutch when coming to a stop oops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back