Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving - Manual Vs Automatic

Default Driving - Manual Vs Automatic

So how many Americans here can drive stick? As a Brit, it's standard to drive stick/manual. Whenever I see someone driving an automatic, I immediately think they're a bad driver (blame my dad for that!). My dad taught me to drive on a dirt track when I was 13 so although I've had my license 3 years, I've been driving for 7. So yeah, how many of you can drive stick, and what are some of your driving experiences?

Being a Brit as well i can drive any thing from a car with 4 +manual gears to a 26t lorry with an 8 speed split gear box .
    I find auto's to slow on acceleration and change up to quick at top end on a hill

My first stick was the family tractor at 11 years old.
    After that I drove everything from 3 speed vans and cars to 13 speed semi.
    Now all of my personal cars are automatic.

I only buy manual. I tried to teach my wife, but that didn't go well.

Murican here, always wanted to learn how to drive stick when I was younger. Dad started teaching me slowly how to drive as soon as I could reach the pedals, which was around 12, but I only started really driving at around 15/16. Got my license at 18, and soon after, my first car, equipped with a manual. I've had very little exposure to manual transmissions, as I've only seen technical diagrams of it beforehand really, so when we (meaning my dad, since he didn't really consider any of the other options I wanted) bought the car on the side of a road near the swap meet, he gave me the title, the keys, then got in his own car, and went home. It took a few minutes but I got the idea down, then soon drove home. Replaced the clutch about 2 years ago and done a lot of work to her so far.

I learned on a stick and just got one for my economy car when I don't have all the kids. @USA

I can drive stick and much prefer it to auto. A lot more fun.

In America it's nearly impossible to find a manual transmission vehicle anymore unless you're willing to go very, very used. They put them in barebones, no-features compact pickups and some cars (which also tend to be featureless, or way too expensive and sporty).

I prefer a man stick but my latest car is a sequential auto as the stock box can hold 550hp/500ft.lb so that saves about 6500 from not getting a manual dog box, and a dog box with straight cut gears would be a nightmare to drive in town!

Learned on a '63 VW Kombi. Bought manual ever since. Except for Mrs. Maxx's car. She can driive stick, but she tends to be hard on things mechanical. I gave up and got her an automatic after she trashed the shift linkage on my van.

I like stick because it gives much better control in slick conditions, or under hard manuevering. On top of that, way better gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Learned on a '63 VW Kombi. Bought manual ever since. Except for Mrs. Maxx's car. She can driive stick, but she tends to be hard on things mechanical. I gave up and got her an automatic after she trashed the shift linkage on my van.

I like stick because it gives much better control in slick conditions, or under hard manuevering. On top of that, way better gas mileage.
    You've got it in one Maxx about gas mileage as you change gear when you want and not having a box changing up and down all the time