Package Potentially Stolen/What to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Possibly Insane

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I ordered a sampler from Snuggies, to be delivered via USPS.

I was just informed that it arrived in my mailbox at 11:15 am today, when I was not home, yet the package is nowhere to be found. I live in an apartment building with five other tenants. Needless to say, I am incredibly freaked out right now and very angry. USPS isn't open until Monday. I don't know what to do.

A) Does USPS ever make mistakes in terms of updating their tracking info?
B) How should I proceed? I am so flipped out I can't even think.

My package got returned to post office because I was not home today. All they left was a phone number. They did not leave it at the local post office either so the number is long distance. I have to go online to hopefully get it Monday but I am working then so the kids will have to intercept it. Waiting is driving me crazy.

UPS typically leaves things at our door or in our porch. I've never had it not delivered. We live in our own house, not an apartment, so maybe they had a different policy for apartments?

I have never heard of USPS making mistakes in their tracking info, but I know it isn't foolproof either. Usually when it says delivered, it was delivered as the postal worker must scan the package before leaving it. It's possible that one of the other tenants might have it. May want to check with your neighbors to see if they have it. Just say, "did you happen to pick up a package of mine the other day by mistake?" They may have and just haven't gotten around to getting it to you yet. It may have been delivered to the wrong apartment by accident.

Not sure who to contact about stolen or lost packages that claim to have been "delivered." Most times USPS will not take responsibility for them since people could claim an item they received was stolen when they knowingly received it. Check out the USPS website for mail theft information though. You can file a report and they should look into it.

In the future, you may want to consider having the package made available for pickup at the post office rather than delivered to your apartment. They'll hold the package and send you a notice of when it is ready for pickup. I know they encourage this service since packages have been getting stolen a lot recently.

Yes they do make mistakes. Several months ago, I ordered some pills for my cat (vet approved!). I was running low and really needed the shipment. The tracking information said it was delivered but it wasn't. Like you, I was not home at the time so I couldn't be sure whether it was stolen or not. Based on past experience, I suspected that the package was either delivered to the wrong house or wasn't delivered at all. I waited a day or two and then tried to contact USPS. Before I was able to do so, the package showed up.

Whether your package was misbelieved or stolen, I don't know. I certainly would contact your USPS office on Monday.

I would say an error, either in the status or delivery is more likely than theft. I'm sure it will be agonizing to wait through Sunday but I'd say don't worry too much until after Monday's delivery has passed and it hasn't arrived.

If it was USPS (e.g. "THE Post Office"- official government mail)- then a mistake in the tracking might be possible. Don't stress.

If it was the private company "UPS", then tracking info is likely accurate, it probably was delivered, and was either stolen or accidentally picked up by a neighbor.

Odds are it will arrive Monday. For whatever reason, sometimes they mark it as "delivered" before it's actually been delivered. Odds are they intended to deliver Saturday but it didn't make it before the cut-off time. So it was scanned as delivered, but not actually delivered yet. I've seen this happen on many occasions.

I would contact the post office first and explain the situation to them to see if it was really delivered.
then if it was them I would contact your land lord or neighbors about your missing package.
you don't have to accuse anybody of taking it but to find out if anybody had seen it or if they know what might have happened to it.

There's a form for missing mail. Frankly, I've found my local post offices here are very helpful. They'll talk to the carrier and see if he recalls what he did with the package. You might ring the other neighbors (or put up a note on the mailbox) inquring if any inadvertantly picked up a parcel addressed to you.

We had one that was misdelivered to our neighbor. I only thought about checking with them because I had one of their parcels. Sure enough somehow our two deliveries got swapped.

Thank-you everyone for the advice. As you can imagine, I didn't sleep at all last night. I don't have any sort of relationship with the neighbors, and I'm afraid if I knock on their doors to find out if they took the package by mistake, they'll have opened it, and I'll have to explain it.

I've never had an issue with UPS or FedEx, but this is my first USPS delivery to this address. I will update you all on Monday... Fingers crossed.

I was able to reschedule my package for today. I went to the USPS redelivery website and put in my info. I can't wait until I get off work today!

Well, no sign of it, and USPS is run by freakin' robots. Been trying to talk to a human all day. I'm more angry than anything - not because of money, but the idea that someone might have stolen it, violating my privacy and trust, disgusts and enrages me. I'm not so afraid of being exposed - if someone confronts me about it, I'm going to say A) You opened a package with someone else's name on it, which is illegal. And B) I'll tell them it was a joke gift or for a film project (which it very well could be.)

Still. I mean, fuck people, right? And fuck USPS for not having a human being to talk to!

I do not trust USPS with anything and their tracking is very unreliable in my experience.

I have had several packages- non-ABDL related -delivered to the wrong address, rerouted halfway across the country to forward to a local PO box, relatively expensive insured items being lost or stolen, and not getting my money for months. In one case, a package was lost, insurance paid out, 6 months later it was returned to me.

UPS and FedEx are better, but recently they have had a habit of dropping the packages at the post-office and having them bring it to my door...ugh.

LittleAaron said:
I do not trust USPS with anything and their tracking is very unreliable in my experience.

I have had several packages- non-ABDL related -delivered to the wrong address, rerouted halfway across the country to forward to a local PO box, relatively expensive insured items being lost or stolen, and not getting my money for months. In one case, a package was lost, insurance paid out, 6 months later it was returned to me.

UPS and FedEx are better, but recently they have had a habit of dropping the packages at the post-office and having them bring it to my door...ugh.

Unfortunately, I had no say in the matter. This was how Snuggies shipped them. I'm sure they ended up in some holler in North Carolina some how.

I would give them a few days. USPS is absolutely HORRENDOUS with their tracking stuff. I've had items given a tracking number by USPS that is then e-mailed to me, I check it daily for a week and USPS has no record of it. The item shows up in my mail and the next day the tracking info magically appears. FedEx and UPS do so much better at it, it is amazing. With those guys, their computers automatically update the status whenever it passes through any checkpoint, including being loaded onto their truck.

If I consider it valuable or necessary, I don't trust it to USPS. I have had them lose weeks worth of my mail, deliver stuff to the wrong address, and damage of packages beyond what is considered normal. We shipped Christmas candy to my Dad in Virginia one year, it was a good thing that we bagged it all inside Ziploc bags. When it arrived, the contents of the whole box was delivered in a giant plastic bag because it had disintegrated from water damage.

Thank-you for the encouragement, Analog. I hope you're right. It's screwy that, when I did order from the infamous ABUniverse, I never had a problem like other people had. But a reputable company like Snuggies, I start to have problems!

You might consider wading through the phone system to file a missing mail complaint. You can also ask a neighbor discreetly. If they took it by mistake, they could see the name on the label already and if they didn't you don't have to say what was in it. Just "hey, did you see a package here a couple days ago?"

Did you go to the post office. I've found that the guys who actually work there (not the phone dweebs) are genuinely helpful.

I had a package that I misaddressed using the street off my home address and my city off my work address. I was watching the traffic and I saw it was rejected. I hauled ass down to the post office that had it and they said, oh yes, we saw that street goes to the other city so we sent it over there. Told me to check with them early the next morning (it wouldn't get there earlier). Sure enough 9 AM the next morning I'm at that post office and the guy goes in the back and finds it for me .

Here is what i know about USPS when ever it says "delivered" it means delivered to the post office and it well get to me next business day. that could just be my area but it always take an extra day for USPS to get my stuff to me unless it is overnight 1 day or 2 day priority shipping, because with those if they are not at your house at that time then USPS has to pay back the money because it is their own policy with those fast ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back