Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: World Cinema!

  1. #1

    Default World Cinema!

    Any other ADISC enthusiasts of world cinema, or arthouse films in general?

    I absolutely love the classic neo-realist cinema of Italy, especially filmmakers like Rosselini and Vittorio De Sica, who made Bicycle Thieves. In more recent years, I've got into darker European auteurs like the Dardenne Brothers and Bruno Dumont, as well as the wonderful cinema coming out of Iran. My local arthouse/indie cinema has recently done a Middle Eastern Film Festival too, and I saw a wonderful documentary about the Egyptian Revolution as part of that.

  2. #2

    Default

    I am a big fan of Film of all countries and did go to Film School, so I know a bit of World Cinema.

    I've seen a lot of great stuff from France (particuarlly during the French New Wave), Italy, Germany, Brazil, and Japan (Kurosawa is easily one of the best filmmakers ever, and the rest of the country has some great cinema too). I know there's a lot more great cinema outside the U.S that I'm hoping to find.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by gsmax View Post
    I am a big fan of Film of all countries and did go to Film School, so I know a bit of World Cinema.

    I've seen a lot of great stuff from France (particuarlly during the French New Wave), Italy, Germany, Brazil, and Japan (Kurosawa is easily one of the best filmmakers ever, and the rest of the country has some great cinema too). I know there's a lot more great cinema outside the U.S that I'm hoping to find.
    Absolutely love Kurosawa! High and Low has to be one of the best film noirs ever. I like a lot of French New Wave cinema, though I prefer the human dramas of Truffaut to the more explicitly political filmmakers like Jean-Luc Godard.

    Brazilian cinema isn't one I know much about, with the exception of City of God/Men. Which other auteurs or individual films from Brazil should I be checking out? And is there a distinct feel or style about Brazilian cinema which makes it especially great?

  4. #4

    Default

    I'm a translator and my favorite way of improving on my languages is to watch films from those countries. Germany produces some great cinema.

  5. #5

    Default

    I also went to film school for a while.

    Definitely a fan of world cinema and independent / less mainstream films in general.

    Is anyone else here on icheckmovies.com ? I find it a good site for keeping track of what you've watched, and getting recommendations for more films.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Absolutely love Kurosawa! High and Low has to be one of the best film noirs ever. I like a lot of French New Wave cinema, though I prefer the human dramas of Truffaut to the more explicitly political filmmakers like Jean-Luc Godard.

    Brazilian cinema isn't one I know much about, with the exception of City of God/Men. Which other auteurs or individual films from Brazil should I be checking out? And is there a distinct feel or style about Brazilian cinema which makes it especially great?
    I'd definitely recommend the filmography of Fernando Meirelles. You already mentioned watching City of God, easily his most well known piece, but his entire filmography is pretty good. Also remember seeing some films during the Cinema Novo movement that definitely were good (Barravento and O Bravo Guerreiro come to mind).

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by gsmax View Post
    I'd definitely recommend the filmography of Fernando Meirelles. You already mentioned watching City of God, easily his most well known piece, but his entire filmography is pretty good. Also remember seeing some films during the Cinema Novo movement that definitely were good (Barravento and O Bravo Guerreiro come to mind).
    Excellent, I'll put them on the to-watch list. On that note, I watched an excellent Brazilian documentary a few years back, titled Favela Rising. It centres around a former drug trafficker who tries to keep poor youngsters away from crime and gang violence by getting them involved in street dancing and music. It's both a very uplifting and rather troubling documentary - a really interesting look at different faces of the same country.

  8. #8

    Default

    I'm not very knowledgeable regarding film, but I did see City of God a few years ago, and found it to be really impactful and meaningful. Here's a link if anyone wants to check it out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_God_(2002_film)

Similar Threads

  1. Cinema nappies
    By beeeblebum in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-Mar-2012, 19:44
  2. Diapers and the Cinema
    By bbabysitter26 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2011, 00:43
  3. Horror Cinema - YaY or No Way?
    By KaworuVsDrWily in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2010, 00:39
  4. Violent cinema!
    By KaworuVsDrWily in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2010, 23:52
  5. AMD's Cinema 2.0 Inititive
    By IncompleteDude in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2008, 19:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.