Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106

Thread: America's Worst Ever President?

  1. #1

    Default America's Worst Ever President?

    Over the last decade, it's been common to hear Americans of differing political persuasions claim that either George W. Bush or Obama are is 'the worst President ever'. However, people have short memories. And without any anti-American sentiment whatsoever (in many ways it's a super country)!), you guys have admittedly had some pretty good competition for terrible presidents.

    I'd personally say that, economically, Calvin Coolidge was absolutely the worst. The Great Depression was largely a result of his complete ineptitude in understanding banking (particularly stocks & shares), and his presidency was one of Laissez-Faire laziness. With that said, a fairly recent biography I read of him (by David Greenberg), cast Coolidge as a rather likeable man - on a personal level, at least.

    In terms of social policies, I'd nominate Franklin Pierce (the only time I would nominate him), for his bizarre, polarising policies on slavery and dislike of the Abolition movement.

  2. #2

    Default

    *yawn* This is always disputed...

    I personally don't care who the worst is but if this is on Obama as you listed, the only real beef I have with him is the trade for one US American for 5 Taliban soldiers... I do care about America yes, but I also do care about safety because nobody knows this, they might be expert bomb builders...who knows

    The president fights don't really touch up to me anymore because I'm starting to think they only want the job for the money.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    *yawn* This is always disputed...
    Instead of indicating your boredom with the topic, you could just not reply...



    Quote Originally Posted by Snivy
    if this is on Obama as you listed
    I made it clear that I didn't think Obama was one of the worst US presidents, and implied that people partly name him because his tenure is current, and Bush because his was recent. A lot of people don't really know enough (and/or think enough) about prior presidents to consider whether Obama or Bush really is worse than someone like Pierce or Fillmore.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Instead of indicating your boredom with the topic, you could just not reply...
    That was a joke to my reply, I always do that. I do mean to reply to topics when I say stuff like that, that's just my nature.



    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I made it clear that I didn't think Obama was one of the worst US presidents...
    You might have but I still gave an honest opinion about it.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Over the last decade, it's been common to hear Americans of differing political persuasions claim that either George W. Bush or Obama are is 'the worst President ever'. However, people have short memories. And without any anti-American sentiment whatsoever (in many ways it's a super country)!), you guys have admittedly had some pretty good competition for terrible presidents.

    I'd personally say that, economically, Calvin Coolidge was absolutely the worst. The Great Depression was largely a result of his complete ineptitude in understanding banking (particularly stocks & shares), and his presidency was one of Laissez-Faire laziness. With that said, a fairly recent biography I read of him (by David Greenberg), cast Coolidge as a rather likeable man - on a personal level, at least.

    In terms of social policies, I'd nominate Franklin Pierce (the only time I would nominate him), for his bizarre, polarising policies on slavery and dislike of the Abolition movement.
    I totally agree with what you said on people having short memories. People can be so passionate, and live so thoroughly in the now. They can be so angry with the side they belong to.. and they don't know how to set aside the "worst" from "the one I personally disagree with".

    To be honest, I tend to really sympathize with the President's of the United States, no matter which part of the political divide they belong to. I tend to find that most of the time they are just trying to do their best, and often times many people blame the President for problems out of ignorance, blame the man in the White House for things he cannot personally fix. You didn't do any of this, this is just a comment because of how many people I often say saying things like. "I hate this man! I would spit on him!" and I'm just like.. gawsh.

    That being said, if we are talking about worse then I do think your answer Calvin Coolidge is a very good. Very possibly who I would consider the "worst" by far for exactly the reasons you said. For the sake of come up with a competing one though, another one I can think of off the top of my head would be Richard Nixon.. who probably would have been the first President to become impeached had he not resigned first. Definitely would be in the running for that "worst" position for sure.

  6. #6

    Default

    Ronald Reagan.

    St. Ronnie in his later years especially was mostly an Alzheimer's-addled puppet for certain special interests that were embedded in his administration. Under him, we saw substantial deregulation of our media. This is what allowed the current media landscape, in which only a few companies own nearly all of the media, there's no attempt at truth or actual reporting, and there's no tether to the public good.

    Under him, we saw the rise of the religious right, because again, they had gotten themselves in bed with his administration. Under him, we saw the beginnings of the destruction of the American middle-class, what with the various deregulations he did. Under him, we watched our military spending balloon on stupid things like "Star Wars" and trying to bankrupt the Soviet Union. Under him, we watched the beginnings of the decimation of the unions. Under him, we watched our deficit increase several-fold.

    Oh, and he and his cronies arranged to prolong the Iran-Contra hostage crisis to thwart Jimmy Carter's efforts to retrieve them and his presidential reelection bid.

    It's ironic, really, because the majority of Reagan's presidency saw America experiencing good economic times. The lens of history shows us, though, that he really mostly broke everything he touched, but it took awhile for the effects to show up.

  7. #7

    Default

    I think worst has to go to James Buchanan. He's the only president under whose watch the Union dissolved. And he did nothing. No big military, rhetorical, or executive action. That's a high bar to surpass for being terrible at running a country.

  8. #8

    Default

    I guess it depends on how you define worst. Silent Cal is in a close race With Jimmy Carter if the criterium is ineptitude.

    Barack Hussein Obama wins hands down if you consider active, malevolent subversion.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    I think worst has to go to James Buchanan. He's the only president under whose watch the Union dissolved. And he did nothing. No big military, rhetorical, or executive action. That's a high bar to surpass for being terrible at running a country.
    Fractured, I think, is a better word. And would the South have been that great a loss? (yes, I know about the slavery, and no I don't condone it in any way shape or form. Yes, I know the South is a fine place, and I don't mean to suggest otherwise. Blah blah blah)

    Seriously, though, that's a great nomination, and one that's so infrequently considered. I mean, most people don't even know who he is (as in, you say James Buchanan to a person on the street and they'll look at you funny).

  10. #10

    Default

    Some good arguments here but there is also some errors.

    Polk would have to go down with worst president. He refused to wear a coat at his inauguration and died 34 days later of pneumonia. Then the people learned about stupid campaign slogans when they had to find out what the hell a "Tylor Too" was.
    Jefferson was the first on to cross the line of manifest destiny and caused the expansion of the countries territories and thus lead to the War of 1812 and more division between the north and the south.
    The whole southern issue can be argued for all of the presidents before hostilities began and the reconstruction issues are still being fought to this day.
    As for depressions there are several presidents that started them and the fact that they occurred every 20 to 30 years.
    We can blame Obama for the financial problems now but his did now work, Roosevelt got lucky because a few of his alphabet soup programs actually did work. Clintons did not get out of the gate and the economy recovered faster then Obamas plans.
    Johnson is one of my consideration for worst. Look where his war on poverty went. He is the one that has caused the welfare class and started the disparity between income bases that is argued now.
    Others have made matters worse on issues but do not get blamed. Others have done "the right" thing and people 20 to 30 years later paid the price i.e. Harry S Truman. His moves against communism are what put us into Vietnam and Johnson made wishy washy decisions that Nixon escalated to the max with out follow through and it did not work and 50k soldier died for the cause .

    Bottom line the question should be the same that Burns and Shrivers used in there comity routine. "How many presidents have we had?" And the answer is we have had 6 and 38 have had US!

Similar Threads

  1. EA earns themselves another worst company in America title
    By MokatheGroundhog in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2013, 04:10
  2. If you were president....
    By GodOfAllMoniques in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 19-Feb-2011, 23:29
  3. Adult diapers in South America? ¿Pañales en Latino America?
    By snowbird in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Oct-2010, 04:26
  4. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2009, 12:19
  5. Worst Diaper Run/Worst Diapers!
    By scarolina21 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-Feb-2009, 12:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.