Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a urodynamics test.

Default Getting a urodynamics test.

Well I had a Cystoscopy done months ago and everything seemed fine. That hurt like hell. Even with the numbing gel and all. Next Wednesday I go for a uro dynamics test.
    With that said I am paranoid of how much it will hurt. Any men here have experience with this? How was the pain for you (yes I know it will vary from person to person)? How long did it take and did the pain last the duration? What did you do to prepare for the test?
    I see a lot of posts about the test being inconclusive. Has anyone had the test provide results? Thanks in advance for your replies!

If you can do the cystoscopy then UD test is a walk in the park. They insert the smallest catheter imaginable and fill your bladder with water and ask you when you fell you need to pee, once you reach that point they ask you to pee and measure the flow rate and what muscles are working and how.

Yeah, I was white knuckling the bed while they did the cys. so that is why I'm paranoid about this one. Three days after the cys was done I had a stinging feel when I urinated ( that was very often thanks to my OAB). How do they measure what muscles are working? Electrodes or X-ray?

Quote Originally Posted by Merp View Post
    Yeah, I was white knuckling the bed while they did the cys. so that is why I'm paranoid about this one. Three days after the cys was done I had a stinging feel when I urinated ( that was very often thanks to my OAB). How do they measure what muscles are working? Electrodes or X-ray?
    They stick little things round your waist IIRC.

How did the test go? and how accurate are the test?

I'll most likely be going for the test myself sometime in near future.....and apparently, when reading from others, the results from the urodynamics test are inconclusive, to some extent.

The only thing I fear will have an effect on my worklife, is all the sudden having a label on my health documents saying I'm incontinent.
    although I have been to my doctor before, and he knows about my bladder problems and knows I wear diapers, he never wrote anything on my documents....which I'm not at all unsatisfied with.

The only advantage as I see it from having the tests done is, that after the test is done (if they can come up with a conclusion) that you are entitled to help, that is diapers or whatever they suggest. However after wearing diapers for more than two years now, I hope they will understand my needs and just accept it.

I have had this done. It was not to bad but then I have not much feeling down there due to diabetic related nerve damage. Following all the tests I had done by the urogogy team I was subciquently diagnosed as incontinent and yest it does state this on my records along with my enuresis. (nightly bedwetting) It doesn't bother me in the slightest that my medical notes state I am incontinent and enuretic. Because of this I was refered to the continence nurse and now get free pads etc supplied by the Continence service.

When the urologist used the camera to check my blader the other day they also tested my bladder void by filling it with water, I think they used the same tube that carried the camera as I was able to watch the video monitor and the water was already in when he removed the camera.

I have to say the tests were not as bad a I thought and Imonly had a slight pain (discomfort) whe. The camera entered the blader.

Sorry you were in pain juring your test,

Well yesterday was the day. I couldn't do it. The first time they tried with the usual numbing gel and the pain was incredible. Now I've cut fingertips off, drilled through my thumb, had a nail go all the. Way through my foot, etc. so I'm no stranger to pain. It felt like they were using a cactus.
    I couldn't bear it and started to black out and broke into a sweat. They tried some clear numbing agent in a needless syringe and let that sit for a few minutes. Then they made a second attempt and while they were able to get a bit further the pain hit again and they had to stop. I was dissapointed in my self that I couldn't get this done.
    So the uro believes that my back is the issue for a bunch of reasons and now I'm getting set for a MRI with contrast. Been a while since I had one done.

Quote Originally Posted by Merp View Post
    Well yesterday was the day. I couldn't do it. The first time they tried with the usual numbing gel and the pain was incredible. Now I've cut fingertips off, drilled through my thumb, had a nail go all the. Way through my foot, etc. so I'm no stranger to pain. It felt like they were using a cactus.
    I couldn't bear it and started to black out and broke into a sweat. They tried some clear numbing agent in a needless syringe and let that sit for a few minutes. Then they made a second attempt and while they were able to get a bit further the pain hit again and they had to stop. I was dissapointed in my self that I couldn't get this done.
    So the uro believes that my back is the issue for a bunch of reasons and now I'm getting set for a MRI with contrast. Been a while since I had one done.
    You either have a very low pain threshold or you have a problem. That test didn't hurt me one bit, I didn't even feel the thing go in, apart from the finger nails digging in of the nurse trying to site where it went in. (I am female though, and I know you guys are complete wusses when it comes to having your todgers touched in a non-sexual way :P )

Without that test they cannot diagnose you, so have you booked in to try again?

Serioiusly though if it hurt you THAT much that you started to black out, I would suggest that there is a problem in your todger that needs looking at asap. Or you are the world's biggest wuss hahah jk

Lol. I have a high threshold for pain. I have trouble feeling pain often. I have some graphic pictures of injuries I've had (cut off finger tip, drilled through thumb) if you want some proof. i had the urodynamics done (which was far larger) and made it through that. It I was peeling blood for a few days after
    It is weird being a guy and seeing blood in front of your diaper.
    Today I go for a MRI with contrast to see what is going on with my spine. I have two gets about that though. One is that they find something very wrong. The other is that they find nothing at all, I end up looking like an ass and keep on being a voodoo doll/guinea pig.