Would I be allowed to post my Indiegogo campaign here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I want to film a series for YouTube based on Assassins Creed, and I can't think of any place to turn to where the people are more supportive than here.

If I may ask how does indiegogo work, because I always wanted to make a crowdfunded anime/superhero show, how does it work.

I'd recommend kickstarter if it's an option as it has more credibility. If you do go with Indiegogo, I'd suggest staying away from flexible funding because it usually screams scam to people.

Also, I don't know how many game streaming related kickstarters there are on kickstarter, but I'm going to guess around 100 billion. Very few of them get any funding. I'm not saying this to discourage you, only to point out that to have any hope of getting funded it's going to have to be something very well thought out and presented.

I'd recommend taking a skim through http://www.reddit.com/r/shittykickstarters/search?q=channel&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all for an at least basic list of what not to do.

Themanswifesman said:
I want to film a series for YouTube based on Assassins Creed

Enjoy the cease and deist warning.

It's not a gaming series, it's a live-action series.

Getting funding to do youtube videos is next to impossible, unless you have something extremely original. Most people will not even give you a penny unless you have something to show them, like a pilot episode as an example. The reason this is the case is because everyone and their cat has become a youtuber lol.

In most cases, if you want to make it on youtube, you have to make it on your own. If you are able to work up a fan base, then you might actually be able to work up some funding. If you need help, you can always join a network like Freedom. Though it's mostly gamers, but you get a lot of resources to use such as professional music from Position. We are talking trailer and movie production music actually used by very big time films and games. It's an exclusive partnership, so no other network can use their music besides Freedom.

Well it would be 1 step on your way to the right direction.

AEsahaettr said:
Yes, and the rights to a live-action adaptation have already been sold for millions.

Indeed.

Beyond that, fair use doctrine is very dubious, and even if you are legally in the clear and properly avoid the right trademarks and label it as a transitive parody or whatever you are making, you can still be screwed over because youtube heavily sides with the big guys on these things. Their dispute process is a joke, and by even opting to argue your point you risk permanently losing the ability to monetize any of your work. Youtube has basically made an (admittedly sound) business decision that they have way more to fear from big media than some guy with a cellphone cam, so they take the default position that will piss off big media the least.

This is actually something that pisses me off greatly as it hinders a lot of creative works, and the terms on this stuff are stupidly long, but the law is what it is, and just ignoring it is asking for trouble.

BoundCoder said:
Indeed.

Beyond that, fair use doctrine is very dubious, and even if you are legally in the clear and properly avoid the right trademarks and label it as a transitive parody or whatever you are making, you can still be screwed over because youtube heavily sides with the big guys on these things. Their dispute process is a joke, and by even opting to argue your point you risk permanently losing the ability to monetize any of your work. Youtube has basically made an (admittedly sound) business decision that they have way more to fear from big media than some guy with a cellphone cam, so they take the default position that will piss off big media the least.

This is actually something that pisses me off greatly as it hinders a lot of creative works, and the terms on this stuff are stupidly long, but the law is what it is, and just ignoring it is asking for trouble.

Making a parody or live action of assassins creed is perfectly fine as long as it isn't involving the games story line. Do you realize how many people do machinima's and live action versions of games they like? It's nothing new and many many people do it. There are even youtube channels dedicated to doing content like this.

As for youtube's dispute process, it works fine as long as you are not doing anything wrong.

brabbit1987 said:
Making a parody or live action of assassins creed is perfectly fine as long as it isn't involving the games story line. Do you realize how many people do machinima's and live action versions of games they like?

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good section on the legal aspects of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinima#Legal_issues

The TLDR is that while game publishers have largely ignored fan made works around their art as they tend to be a good thing anyway, if they do decide to enforce their rights, they would probably win. You need only look at the whole Nintendo/Lets Play debacle to see what happens when a company decides to enforce it's rights over their IP in fan generated content. The brony community is also a pretty good place to look for stories of when IP gets ugly.

Maybe you can make an assassins creed live action and maybe it'll be left alone. Just saying that if for whatever reason Ubisoft decides they want to be dicks, they've got the law on their side, and even if they didn't, youtube will mostly side with the publisher.

BoundCoder said:
Wikipedia actually has a pretty good section on the legal aspects of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinima#Legal_issues

The TLDR is that while game publishers have largely ignored fan made works around their art as they tend to be a good thing anyway, if they do decide to enforce their rights, they would probably win. You need only look at the whole Nintendo/Lets Play debacle to see what happens when a company decides to enforce it's rights over their IP in fan generated content. The brony community is also a pretty good place to look for stories of when IP gets ugly.

Maybe you can make an assassins creed live action and maybe it'll be left alone. Just saying that if for whatever reason Ubisoft decides they want to be dicks, they've got the law on their side, and even if they didn't, youtube will mostly side with the publisher.

Yes, of course. I know that. However, as I pointed out, this really isn't the case all too often. Especially if you are not using assets directly from the game, which makes it even less likely.

If they wanted to be dicks, then of course you would have no choice but to take it down. They own the IP. I think Nintendo is one of the only companies I know who are so strict. There really is no point in worrying about it though until it happens. Getting a copyright notice on youtube doesn't do anything unless you dispute it with out proper rights, in which case you could end up with a strike.

brabbit1987 said:
There really is no point in worrying about it though until it happens.

When it's your own time and money, then sure, I fully agree. If your taking other peoples money to produce something though I feel ones responsibility changes a fair bit. At the bare minimum I feel the risk needs to be disclosed.

BoundCoder said:
When it's your own time and money, then sure, I fully agree. If your taking other peoples money to produce something though I feel ones responsibility changes a fair bit. At the bare minimum I feel the risk needs to be disclosed.

Yes, of course, though I really think you are just arguing to argue. The only thing that matters is what is. Currently it's not an issue ..so no used debating about it. As long as you respect another companies wishes on how you use their assets and such, then again, you shouldn't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back