Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Would I be allowed to post my Indiegogo campaign here?

  1. #1

    Default Would I be allowed to post my Indiegogo campaign here?

    I want to film a series for YouTube based on Assassins Creed, and I can't think of any place to turn to where the people are more supportive than here.

  2. #2

    Default

    If I may ask how does indiegogo work, because I always wanted to make a crowdfunded anime/superhero show, how does it work.

  3. #3

    Default

    I'd recommend kickstarter if it's an option as it has more credibility. If you do go with Indiegogo, I'd suggest staying away from flexible funding because it usually screams scam to people.

    Also, I don't know how many game streaming related kickstarters there are on kickstarter, but I'm going to guess around 100 billion. Very few of them get any funding. I'm not saying this to discourage you, only to point out that to have any hope of getting funded it's going to have to be something very well thought out and presented.

    I'd recommend taking a skim through http://www.reddit.com/r/shittykickst...elevance&t=all for an at least basic list of what not to do.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Themanswifesman View Post
    I want to film a series for YouTube based on Assassins Creed
    Enjoy the cease and deist warning.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    MarchinBunny

    Default

    Getting funding to do youtube videos is next to impossible, unless you have something extremely original. Most people will not even give you a penny unless you have something to show them, like a pilot episode as an example. The reason this is the case is because everyone and their cat has become a youtuber lol.

    In most cases, if you want to make it on youtube, you have to make it on your own. If you are able to work up a fan base, then you might actually be able to work up some funding. If you need help, you can always join a network like Freedom. Though it's mostly gamers, but you get a lot of resources to use such as professional music from Position. We are talking trailer and movie production music actually used by very big time films and games. It's an exclusive partnership, so no other network can use their music besides Freedom.

    Well it would be 1 step on your way to the right direction.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Themanswifesman View Post
    It's not a gaming series, it's a live-action series.
    Yes, and the rights to a live-action adaptation have already been sold for millions.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Yes, and the rights to a live-action adaptation have already been sold for millions.
    Indeed.

    Beyond that, fair use doctrine is very dubious, and even if you are legally in the clear and properly avoid the right trademarks and label it as a transitive parody or whatever you are making, you can still be screwed over because youtube heavily sides with the big guys on these things. Their dispute process is a joke, and by even opting to argue your point you risk permanently losing the ability to monetize any of your work. Youtube has basically made an (admittedly sound) business decision that they have way more to fear from big media than some guy with a cellphone cam, so they take the default position that will piss off big media the least.

    This is actually something that pisses me off greatly as it hinders a lot of creative works, and the terms on this stuff are stupidly long, but the law is what it is, and just ignoring it is asking for trouble.

  9. #9
    MarchinBunny

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Indeed.

    Beyond that, fair use doctrine is very dubious, and even if you are legally in the clear and properly avoid the right trademarks and label it as a transitive parody or whatever you are making, you can still be screwed over because youtube heavily sides with the big guys on these things. Their dispute process is a joke, and by even opting to argue your point you risk permanently losing the ability to monetize any of your work. Youtube has basically made an (admittedly sound) business decision that they have way more to fear from big media than some guy with a cellphone cam, so they take the default position that will piss off big media the least.

    This is actually something that pisses me off greatly as it hinders a lot of creative works, and the terms on this stuff are stupidly long, but the law is what it is, and just ignoring it is asking for trouble.
    Making a parody or live action of assassins creed is perfectly fine as long as it isn't involving the games story line. Do you realize how many people do machinima's and live action versions of games they like? It's nothing new and many many people do it. There are even youtube channels dedicated to doing content like this.

    As for youtube's dispute process, it works fine as long as you are not doing anything wrong.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    Making a parody or live action of assassins creed is perfectly fine as long as it isn't involving the games story line. Do you realize how many people do machinima's and live action versions of games they like?
    Wikipedia actually has a pretty good section on the legal aspects of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinima#Legal_issues

    The TLDR is that while game publishers have largely ignored fan made works around their art as they tend to be a good thing anyway, if they do decide to enforce their rights, they would probably win. You need only look at the whole Nintendo/Lets Play debacle to see what happens when a company decides to enforce it's rights over their IP in fan generated content. The brony community is also a pretty good place to look for stories of when IP gets ugly.

    Maybe you can make an assassins creed live action and maybe it'll be left alone. Just saying that if for whatever reason Ubisoft decides they want to be dicks, they've got the law on their side, and even if they didn't, youtube will mostly side with the publisher.

Similar Threads

  1. Recall of Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker Campaign Begins!
    By Diapered Rabbit in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-Nov-2011, 00:21
  2. Campaign to remove letters from the alphabet!!!
    By mchkeegan in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 23-Oct-2010, 08:14

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.