Who else thinks that the Disney Princesses have overstayed their welcome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitterdafoxy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
First off, I want to say that I do NOT hate disney or Pixar, they have created breathtaking masterpieces of animation, and basically revolutionized CGI as viable way to make movies. First off, a little history lesson. Pull Ups were introduced as a unisex disposable training pant in 1989, meaning they had no designs or non gender specific designs. It wasn't until 1992, which was, ironically the year I was born, that Pull Ups introduced gender specific specific designs. Those designs were Pastel Colored Animals for Girls, and Trucks for Boys. For some reason, pictures of vintage training pants (Luvs Trainers, Pampers Trainers, And Indeed, The 1992 Pull Ups) are one of the hardest things to find on the internet, so I have no images to share, sadly. I have no clue what designs pull ups had from 1993-1998 as no images are availble and Wikipedia only says that realistic underware designs were introduced in 1996. In 1998 the first disney designs, Mickey And Minnie Mouse were introduced on Boys And Girls Pull Ups, respectively. It wasn't until 2003 that pull ups changed their designs again, this time to Disney Princesses and... I have no clue what the boys pull ups had. 2003 was 12 years ago, disney princesses are still on pull ups nowadays, but boys pull ups have changed designs several times since then. For comparison, Pampers Easy Ups have been around since 2003 and have changed designs many times since then, they currently have Thomas The Tank Engine and Doc McStuffins. Does anyone else think that the princess designs should have been retired by now?

I love the princesses, but variety is always better. I can't fit into that stuff anymore though. That's the one problem I've had with bulking up...

Well personally the next set of designs for pull ups are going to be Frozen! I don't know why they haven't done it yet!!! It is Disney's biggest hit right now!!!

I think the boys pullups have Mickey Mouse and Pluto, but I could be wrong.

Disney Princesses are eternal.

Doc McStuffins designs are on Pull-Ups. Easy-Ups have Dora the Explorer.

Why is it so hard to find vintage training pant photos online. Better yet, pictures of vintage anything? I was reading about failed beers the other day and couldn't find any pictures of the bottles or merchandise to see what it looked like.

I believe the 2003 Pull-Ups had Toy Story and Buzz Lightyear pictures on them. Those ran for a long time until Cars was released and ran in conjunction with Toy Story. The designs were the medium until Monsters Inc. designs were included in the packages. Now, we see Lightning McQueen designs with Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

Pampers Easy-Ups for girls have primarily had Dora designs for as long as I can remember. Boys had Diego for a long time, but I think there was something else before that. I can't remember what it was though. It wasn't until recently they switched to Thomas the Tank Engine since Diego was cancelled. They haven't changed much over the years.

I wouldn't say that the Disney Princesses have overstayed their welcome. I do enjoy seeing them and they are characters the primary market enjoys highly. Parents and children alike love them. I do wish they would rotate the designs more or included more princesses in each pack. It'd be kind of cute to include 4 or 5 different designs featuring multiple or different princesses. Seeing the same 2 over and over gets old quickly.

So, to answer your question- No, the Disney Princesses shouldn't be retired from Pull-Ups.

- - - Updated - - -

They currently have Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Cars

- - - Updated - - -

Dashsanta said:
Well personally the next set of designs for pull ups are going to be Frozen! I don't know why they haven't done it yet!!! It is Disney's biggest hit right now!!!

Have you heard that they are for sure going to do Frozen designs? I'm surprised that they haven't been included in the lineup either since it is currently Disney's biggest cash cow. Maybe someday soon.

PearlPinkFloydJam said:
Why is it so hard to find vintage training pant photos online. Better yet, pictures of vintage anything? I was reading about failed beers the other day and couldn't find any pictures of the bottles or merchandise to see what it looked like.

I believe the 2003 Pull-Ups had Toy Story and Buzz Lightyear pictures on them. Those ran for a long time until Cars was released and ran in conjunction with Toy Story. The designs were the medium until Monsters Inc. designs were included in the packages. Now, we see Lightning McQueen designs with Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

Pampers Easy-Ups for girls have primarily had Dora designs for as long as I can remember. Boys had Diego for a long time, but I think there was something else before that. I can't remember what it was though. It wasn't until recently they switched to Thomas the Tank Engine since Diego was cancelled. They haven't changed much over the years.

I wouldn't say that the Disney Princesses have overstayed their welcome. I do enjoy seeing them and they are characters the primary market enjoys highly. Parents and children alike love them. I do wish they would rotate the designs more or included more princesses in each pack. It'd be kind of cute to include 4 or 5 different designs featuring multiple or different princesses. Seeing the same 2 over and over gets old quickly.

So, to answer your question- No, the Disney Princesses shouldn't be retired from Pull-Ups.

- - - Updated - - -

They currently have Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Cars

- - - Updated - - -

Have you heard that they are for sure going to do Frozen designs? I'm surprised that they haven't been included in the lineup either since it is currently Disney's biggest cash cow. Maybe someday soon.

I found a few pics, but they're so effing blurry that it's hard to make out anything.
image.jpg
I can't discern any design from this image, even after I fixed it up.
image.jpg
This was taken in the late 1990s with a very early digital Camara, it's basically fruitless as there are no actual images on the package anywhere.
image.jpg
This was easy to find, but any pictures of the product out of box is alluding me.

kitterdafoxy said:
I found a few pics, but they're so effing blurry that it's hard to make out anything.
View attachment 23250
I can't discern any design from this image, even after I fixed it up.
View attachment 23251
This was taken in the late 1990s with a very early digital Camara, it's basically fruitless as there are no actual images on the package anywhere.
View attachment 23252
This was easy to find, but any pictures of the product out of box is alluding me.

I know the pictures are out there, but most are not very detailed. Just a picture of the package and nothing of the actual product.

Here are all the designs from 1996-2005, all the 4T-5T size, and additionally a few of the 3T-4T sizes of the Disney Princess ones. They really dropped the printing quality near the end. I think my favorites are Minnie Mouse in the blue dress, the Jasmine portrait, and the second Minnie (1998) one with the pink and turquoise heart pattern all over.

Attachments

• 1996.jpg
    1996.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 561
  • 1998.jpg
    1998.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 956
  • 1999.jpg
    1999.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 598
  • 2000.jpg
    2000.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 470
  • 2001.jpg
    2001.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 579
  • 2002.jpg
    2002.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 586
  • 2002b.jpg
    2002b.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 508
  • 2002c.jpg
    2002c.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 763
  • 2003.jpg
    2003.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 530
  • 2003b.jpg
    2003b.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 460
  • 2003c.jpg
    2003c.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 576
  • 2003d.jpg
    2003d.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 594
  • 2003e.jpg
    2003e.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 494
  • 2003f.jpg
    2003f.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 420
  • 2003g.jpg
    2003g.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 497
  • 2004.jpg
    2004.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 779
  • 2004b.jpg
    2004b.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 879
  • 2004c.jpg
    2004c.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 464
  • 2004d.jpg
    2004d.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 482
  • 2004e.jpg
    2004e.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 401
  • 2004f.jpg
    2004f.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 448
  • 2005.jpg
    2005.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 789
  • 2005b.jpg
    2005b.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,236
  • Love
Reactions: WillFord384 and wetnights
Prairie said:
Here are all the designs from 1996-2005, all the 4T-5T size, and additionally a few of the 3T-4T sizes of the Disney Princess ones. They really dropped the printing quality near the end. I think my favorites are Minnie Mouse in the blue dress, the Jasmine portrait, and the second Minnie (1998) one with the pink and turquoise heart pattern all over.

And nowadays we get this "print job", if you can call it that. It looks like you left them out in the sun for 6 months and then washed them.
image.jpg

Prairie said:

Thank you so much for sharing the photos. It was a lot of fun looking through all of them. I remember seeing pictures of those designs back in the day so it was a little nostalgia.

I personally like the designs which show the characters in different scenes doing activities. The Minnie ones are adorable and I love the Ariel designs from 2005. The ones with the princesses dancing and going to the castle are cute too. I like thinking of stories to go along with those images. :)

- - - Updated - - -

kitterdafoxy said:
And nowadays we get this "print job", if you can call it that. It looks like you left them out in the sun for 6 months and then washed them.
View attachment 23276

The newer ones are nice in their own way, but the older ones have a distinct personality about them that is unmatched today. It seems like quality in graphics has gone down over the years. I guess companies figure that they really shouldn't invest much in the designs they put on a disposable diaper.

I have that generation of Pull-Ups in your picture and I do like seeing Rapunzel in her hand-drawn cartoon form rather than CGI. I do agree that they could be a lot better though.

PearlPinkFloydJam said:
Thank you so much for sharing the photos. It was a lot of fun looking through all of them. I remember seeing pictures of those designs back in the day so it was a little nostalgia.

I personally like the designs which show the characters in different scenes doing activities. The Minnie ones are adorable and I love the Ariel designs from 2005. The ones with the princesses dancing and going to the castle are cute too. I like thinking of stories to go along with those images. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The newer ones are nice in their own way, but the older ones have a distinct personality about them that is unmatched today. It seems like quality in graphics has gone down over the years. I guess companies figure that they really shouldn't invest much in the designs they put on a disposable diaper.

I have that generation of Pull-Ups in your picture and I do like seeing Rapunzel in her hand-drawn cartoon form rather than CGI. I do agree that they could be a lot better though.

Yeah, we need more vibrant colors and bolder lines in my opinion, maybe even less dense cloth covering.

I feel like this thread misses the point that the designs aren't there for for any reason other then an advertisement. Pull-ups seem to be almost in part owned by Disney or at least HEAVILY HEAVILY backed by them, and they understand that part of what makes a successful "kids" line is to advertise in this sort of aggressive "everything becomes their fandom" thing that I honestly do enjoy in my own way. The way the quickest way to sell a early child product is to plaster their favorite character on it. They don't want the boring toothapste, they want the SPONGEBOB toothpaste. They don't want boring pull-ups, they want PRINCESS pull-ups.

I think even older fans of things are guilty of this as well. I mean, I own a Sofia the First trash can for instance. My dad owns a Dallas Cowboys one.

The Princesses will continue to be the main thing on "girls" official Pull-Ups as long as the princesses are the main thing that makes the people wearing them WANT to wear them. Once girls start hitting the age for pull-ups, the Dora The Explorers and the Doc McStuffins really do start playing second fiddle towards the big "princess phase" age group. It just is focused-tested proven marketing. I think it's perfectly understandable why Disney has stuck with them.

I completely agree with gigglemuffinz except I think Dora the Explorer is still pretty great around the ages of 2-5 when most kids that wear pull-ups would have them.

gigglemuffinz said:
I feel like this thread misses the point that the designs aren't there for for any reason other then an advertisement. Pull-ups seem to be almost in part owned by Disney or at least HEAVILY HEAVILY backed by them, and they understand that part of what makes a successful "kids" line is to advertise in this sort of aggressive "everything becomes their fandom" thing that I honestly do enjoy in my own way. The way the quickest way to sell a early child product is to plaster their favorite character on it. They don't want the boring toothapste, they want the SPONGEBOB toothpaste. They don't want boring pull-ups, they want PRINCESS pull-ups.

I think even older fans of things are guilty of this as well. I mean, I own a Sofia the First trash can for instance. My dad owns a Dallas Cowboys one.

The Princesses will continue to be the main thing on "girls" official Pull-Ups as long as the princesses are the main thing that makes the people wearing them WANT to wear them. Once girls start hitting the age for pull-ups, the Dora The Explorers and the Doc McStuffins really do start playing second fiddle towards the big "princess phase" age group. It just is focused-tested proven marketing. I think it's perfectly understandable why Disney has stuck with them.

Okay, if they can't completely change the design for pull ups (Girls OR Boys), why not add a different princess (Anna or Elsa for instance), or for boys, since cars isn't that big anymore, explore a Different franchise tahrs a bit more relevant (Big Hero 6, for example).

gigglemuffinz said:

I think it's safe to say that it's all about product placement and advertising whenever Disney (or any company for that matter) plasters their cartoon character on a product. Otherwise, why would they go through with the trouble in creating a design and promoting it? Kids love wearing anything that has their favorite character on it. The only thing that is baffling is that Frozen is an absolute phenom at the moment with the potty training and pre-teen crowd; you would think Disney would be ready to jump on putting the characters on one of their most prominent products.

- - - Updated - - -

ArchieRoni said:
I completely agree with gigglemuffinz except I think Dora the Explorer is still pretty great around the ages of 2-5 when most kids that wear pull-ups would have them.

Dora is extremely popular with that age group so it only makes sense they use her design to promote the product.

- - - Updated - - -

kitterdafoxy said:
Okay, if they can't completely change the design for pull ups (Girls OR Boys), why not add a different princess (Anna or Elsa for instance), or for boys, since cars isn't that big anymore, explore a Different franchise tahrs a bit more relevant (Big Hero 6, for example).

I second the thought of simply adding a design rather than changing the whole product. I realize that Disney tries to hit every interest with their Pull-Ups design choices. Not every girl is a "princess," so that's why we currently have Doc McStuffins in the lineup. Why they can't add Frozen to the lineup in place of Ariel is a mystery though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back