Aérospatiale-BAC Concorde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snivy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
The end-result said that the Concorde would never fly again due to high maintenance costs, fuel prices rising, and the reputation of the July 25th 2000 incident of Air France 4590.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-24629451

The thing about those three is here,

The Maintenance costs went down significantly (Not alot though)
The fuel prices went down greatly. They are rising a bit but not as bad as it was in 2012-2013.
Concorde had many incidents but this was the only crash and it was no design flaw, no pilot error, etc. The blame was for the Continental DC-10 that took off. The Concorde was definitely a beautiful plane even if it was only flown for British Airways and Air France and definitely a ticket 4 times the price of a regular 747.

Does anyone think the Concorde will ever fly again in the future? Need your opinions.

A couple of things stop the Concorde flying again
1st is money
2nd is money
3rd is money
I do hope it does fly again ,
I've seen the one that was out side Heathrow air port

As much as I would love to see the Concorde fly again, I very much doubt that it ever will. The operating costs of the aircraft are just to prohibitively high for airlines to justify having a small sub-fleet of them, and then there is the factor that it was only allowed to go supersonic over open water, which limits where they could fly it to. Aircraft like the 787, 777X, and A350 are the next generation of long haul aircraft for the world.
Nothing can ever really replace the Concorde however, it really is in a class of it's own, flying or not.

It wont. As stated before it was a costly AC and the practicality for the aviation industry is not there. No airline would want it. it's all about competition for passenger amount. The aircraft wouldn't not survive in today's industry.

everything's being geared towards bulk transportation, so i don't think that Concorde or anything like it will be seen for a long time, if ever.

Yep. The competition everyone should worry about is the Airbus A380 because that is the only commercial plane that can carry over 800 passengers. The 747's are soon to phase out and be replaced with wide-body jets.

The issue with Concorde is the actual technology behind it is rather dated, the avionics and flight controls are what? 20 or 30 years old now? Even the 747 and 737 have gotten avionics overhauls by now, almost all of the Concorde controls are manual iirc, there is little to no computer control which makes it relatively hard to fly as everything is all analog. Combine obsolete analog controls with speeds in excess of mach 2 makes the plane unable to meet safety regulations anymore anyway.

While I'd LOVE to see Concorde fly again the combination of terrible fuel economy, outdated technology and being relatively hard to operate make it nonviable for any airline to want to operate it. I can only hope that a new Concorde is built, modern and up to date learning from the mistakes of the first one. It's certainly possible and would streamline travel and make the economy better. The ability to travel from new york to the UK in under like 2-4 hours compared to I think 8-12 hours is amazing and needs to be capitalized upon.

In my opinion the Concorde is the Jaguar E type of the sky. Beautiful. Unfortunately it's just too old to run commercially anymore.

If the Concorde is made airworthy again, it will most likely be for display purposes and will never see commercial service again. The operating costs were too high, and I also believe the post 9/11 downturn in air travel drove airlines to retire it. In this day and age of flat bed seats and in-flight internet access, those who would be able to afford a Concorde ticket would probably rather pay for a business/first class ticket rather than spend 4 hours in a cramped, tiny tube with tiny windows.

- - - Updated - - -

Snivy said:
Yep. The competition everyone should worry about is the Airbus A380 because that is the only commercial plane that can carry over 800 passengers. The 747's are soon to phase out and be replaced with wide-body jets.

I don't think airlines should worry too much about the A380. It only makes sense to a few operators such as Emirates who can fill them up. a VLA only makes sense if the airline can fill up the seats. Otherwise, it is much better to buy smaller aircraft such as the A330 or 777. In my opinion, an 800 seat A380 is unlikely as most airlines have chosen to invest in larger premium cabins rather than more economy class seating.

aviationchild said:
I don't think airlines should worry too much about the A380. It only makes sense to a few operators such as Emirates who can fill them up. a VLA only makes sense if the airline can fill up the seats. Otherwise, it is much better to buy smaller aircraft such as the A330 or 777. In my opinion, an 800 seat A380 is unlikely as most airlines have chosen to invest in larger premium cabins rather than more economy class seating.

It was a small statement, nothing out of the ordinary dude. No airline is going to care much about an A380 because just because it's a double decker, don't mean anything. 777's have carried more passengers than a QANTAS A380 before according to airline records.

aviationchild said:
In my opinion, an 800 seat A380 is unlikely as most airlines have chosen to invest in larger premium cabins rather than more economy class seating.

As an aside, this article popped up in my news feeds a whole back while I was in an airport... waiting for a flight on a Singapore A380

http://dereklow.co/what-its-like-to-fly-the-23000-singapore-airlines-suites-class/

Spent the next 13 hours in the air wondering how if any of those nice, soft beds were free upstairs! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back