Wearing nappies/diapers frowned upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
At the mere mention of nappies the person your talking to you sends negative vibes that can make you feel rather awkward.

quite likely. when was the last time you were in a conversation about someone's underwear?

I tend to only discuss stuff about diapers in online places like this, with like minded people. When I'm hanging out IRL with fellow abdl's I don't really discuss it that much. There's way too many other things to talk about. This just happens to be a shared interest. When you're new to the community, you might discuss it a lot, because you're finally able to do it for the first time ever.

Mypotty said:
At the mere mention of nappies the person your talking to you sends negative vibes that can make you feel rather awkward.

There are a lot of subjects that make people feel awkward. Some of that is social taboos stepped in tradition, and some of it is because there are certain things that people don't talk about. In the latter case, modern communication theory suggests that there are several levels of intimacy in conversation, and people are generally put off when a subject is raised that seems too personal compared to the level of intimacy the current relationship is at. e.g. it would be weird if someone you just met starts telling you about their sex life, but maybe not so much if you and your best friend have a conversation about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-disclosure if you want to read more about it.

I have to agree with Irnub. There are exactly 2 people whit whom I feel free to talk about diapers and related things, but that is ok. It really makes me feel fortunate that I have found this site to have discussions about things that usually will tend to make vanillas uncomfortable or wierded out. A BIG THANK YOU to everyone here and the producers of this site where folks can feel safe, accepted/tolerated, welcome, encouraged/empowered,and actually LISTENED to! HUZZAH!!!

I never talk about diapers to my friends. I would probably the most uncomfortable person in the room. It's only been in the last few years that I can talk about them in front of my wife. I guess it's always something that I've kept hidden, and has been a personal part of my life, that it's too late for it to be completely comfortable for me to discuss in public.

Except for one time, I have never discussed adult diapers with anyone. The one time I did, I was very nervous. This happened within the last year and my mother had begin to 'leak' a little at night. We were at CVS and she wanted some more pads. I misunderstood her and was looking for some pull-ups or diapers when she just wanted some light pads.

I have no intention of discuss diapers (at this time) with anyone IRL. I may at some time if I attend a munchie or something.

there has been along social stigma about diapers
that only babies and the elderly wear them
this has began to change in recent years but a lot of people still don't feel comfortable talking about them.

Would you like your dad to tell you in every excruciating detail how he brought your mum to orgasm last night? No, so why on earth would any duggle (non diaper person :) ) want to know about the sexual pleasure and youth nostalgia wetting a diaper gives you?

I wear nappies all the time I can't say I really think about any negative vibes. What others think is their problem. I am incontinent so I wear a nappy to keep my bed and pants dry.

It's not about that persons underwear it's merely saying the word nappy/diaper

- - - Updated - - -

I can understand when talking about it in an intimate way but at times it's jokes as well as saying the word

It has to do with traditional potty training. Instead of saying, "Diapers are for people who need them, & if you're sick, injured, or need them for other reasons, they're perfectly fine to have," we lie to our kids, telling them it's okay to have the from the day they're born, teaching them not to care, or even notice needing a change, then we rip away their diapers, the only okay, "go zone," they've ever known, as soon as we get tired of changing them, & act like one magical day, they innately know how to use a toilet.

Don't lie to kids. Teach diaper & potty from day 1, moment 1, breath 1.

It's also used as a way to shame children to get them to want to become trained sooner than they would on their own. Some children want to be adults and this is held out as something adult. But then all this comes back to bite any adults who become incontinent. It's something most worry about because it presses their "I'm a helpless person" button.

Im with you... I struggle with saying the word nappy, so bad that my ex had to refer them to snugglepants..

If you're referring to just mentioning that adult diapers exist, I feel a reason people feel uncomfortable and feel a negative vibe is because to most people associate adult diapers with Illness and Incontinence. So bringing it up makes them think of somebody's disability and people in general, aren't comfortable talking about disabilities and just want to brush all that under the rug and not get involved. The connection of diapers and babies and the elderly also makes people pity those who have to wear diapers for medical purposes, and people don't like feeling that, so the best thing for them to do, is to just brush that away.

I have encountered this many times. Most people I know do frown upon diapers in what ever context they are brought up in and they make it seen like diapers are one of those taboo things that you should stay away from. When this happens I stay quiet because I don't want to say something that will make them suspect me of anything and to see what they really think of diapers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back