Alternative uses for baby items

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinoise

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I use baby oil for shining my car's tires. I also use it to lube my feet as protection against blisters. (I spend a lot of time on my feet at work.) Anyone else use "baby" items in unorthodox ways?

I've used diapers to soak up spills (they're basically SAP pillows), that's about it.

Not sure it counts there but I always clean myself with a baby wipe after doing #2, I'm never satisfied by the cleaning with regular toilet paper, I always have a pack of carry-on baby wipes with me at all time in my backpack, quite handy.

I use baby powder on my "boys" everyday to keep them from sticking to my legs

I use baby wipes to treat mosquito bites.

You can use the SAP from the diapers mixed in with soil to keep your plants watered, needing watering less often and prevent over watering. You can also put the powder in a balloon and add some water, keep it in the fridge as a cold pack for burns/ hot days.

Also some diaper rash creams can be good for treating sunburn or other burns.

I use baby lotion (lotion in general wouldn't make a difference, but i like the smell) to style my hair. It stiffens just enough to keep my hair how I want it, but it doesn't create dandruff, and it gives the opportunity for the lotion to keep my scalp a little healthier. I also feel like it helps keep soft hair.

Baby wipes are good for removing makeup.

- - - Updated - - -

Tyger said:
I use baby lotion (lotion in general wouldn't make a difference, but i like the smell) to style my hair. It stiffens just enough to keep my hair how I want it, but it doesn't create dandruff, and it gives the opportunity for the lotion to keep my scalp a little healthier. I also feel like it helps keep soft hair.

Using lotion in your hair also helps to keep the static down.

i use my bottle warmer to heat up tubes of epoxy glue to make it easier to mix

I have some baby wipes in my trucks, barns, & garage. They're great for cleaning my hands when working.

I will also use baby powder for some of the crafting I do, or with my silicone masks. Makes them easier to put on, & it's recommended by the making.

I've got a diaper pail & diaper sacks I use for putting food scraps in or other things that might smell over time. I don't have trash service. So I sometimes have to keep it in my house longer than if like, before I can get it out if the house. The sacks & pail keep unpleasant smells away.

I have used thick zinc rash cream for thermal paste on a CPU heat sink lol it worked fairly well till I could get some proper thermal paste
baby wipes and baby oil work well for cleaning old thermal paste off also baby wipes work for cleaning just about anything.

I have used baby oil on computer fan bearings and it worked quite well
also works on many other things that need oil hair clippers door hinges sewing machines or anything that needs a thin oil and it smells so nice lol
its probably not as good as real oil but does work in a pinch pretty much any oil is better then none at all

once used a diaper pin in place of the cotter pin to hold a wheel on the lawn mower cause I lost the cotter pin LOL still there now and working just fine he he.

just thought I would post some of the odd alternatives I have used baby items for.

I've done the "using-a-disposable-diaper-as-a-super-absorbent-paper-towel" thing before. I don't know if this is unorthodox, but I use baby lotion for my dry hands because I hate the extra oily feeling from regular dry skin lotion. Baby lotion takes care of the issue, and I can get away with it because I can blame it on my tactile sensory issues--two pluses in my book.:)

ClandestineWing said:

Nice Idea, I never knew that. I have to try that one. Thanks!

BabyToddler said:
Nice Idea, I never knew that. I have to try that one. Thanks!

You're welcome.

Been using nappy sacks as liners in small bins, and always have baby wipes in my car, tool box and workshop to clean my hands. I use baby powder on the neck and wrist seals of my dry suit to make it easier to get on. I been doing this for so long and openly that I never thought it anything other than normal.

ClandestineWing said:

it works?? o0

DrunkBearCub said:
it works?? o0

It should help at least, but that's not real science there, its because some baby wipes have some aloe cream in them which then explain why it soothe and help treat mosquito bites.

DrunkBearCub said:
it works?? o0

When a mosquito bites you, it leaves a lot of bacteria on your skin, enough to cause an allergic reaction; this is why mosquito bites itch. I used to put rubbing alcohol on my bites before switching to baby wipes.

Baby powder to keep military (or another heavy) boots free of bad stinky.

A few timas I used baby lotion as a combustble (contains alcohol) to do my cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back