Thread: Kansas Governor Rescinds Civil Rights Protections to LGBT State Employees...

Default Kansas Governor Rescinds Civil Rights Protections to LGBT State Employees...

Governor Sam Brownback of Kansas ruthlessly rescinded Civil Rights Protections to all LGBT State Employees today, citing his "True Christian Faith".

I wonder how long that will stand since it goes against federal law, as far as I understand it. It's like the idiot judge from Alabama who directed other justices not to issue marriage licenses after the state federal court said they must be honored. The judge even threatened to jail justices who would honor the law. The last time he did something like that, he was suspended for six months.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I wonder how long that will stand since it goes against federal law, as far as I understand it. It's like the idiot judge from Alabama who directed other justices not to issue marriage licenses after the state federal court said they must be honored. The judge even threatened to jail justices who would honor the law. The last time he did something like that, he was suspended for six months.
    "All" he did was remove an executive order which is technically within his rights. He didn't overturn any legislature or do anything to act against legislature. IMO it's just a ploy to get people to focus on this rather than his numerous other failings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthon View Post
    "All" he did was remove an executive order which is technically within his rights. He didn't overturn any legislature or do anything to act against legislature. IMO it's just a ploy to get people to focus on this rather than his numerous other failings.
    That's not necessarily true. If the executive order resulted in the state being in compliance with federal law and removal of the executive order took the state out of compliance with federal law, they will be in deep trouble if the LGBT employees sue them. Like "you will pay all benefits in backpay, plus interest, plus a penalty to every single employee" kind of trouble. Federal law is supreme in the USA, so if a state's action contravenes it, the state can put itself in position to lose a class action lawsuit.

Governor Sam Brownback of Kansas has no more idea of what Christianity is than Jihadists know what Islam is.

It's just "federal court." There's no such thing as "state federal court".

Fortunately, Brownpants while a prejudicial ass isn't completely stupid. He didn't cite his "true" religion as being justification. He used the argument that the (prior) governor lacked the authority to do this through executive order and it should have been passed by the legislature. I'm pretty sure he's wrong on that, but it's clearly in the procedural dickering of the state government rather than being an outright unconstitutional act.

This stinks of a political move. It feels like he's grabbing for support more than he is actually attempting to make a (rather sad) moral statement. He'll be fried (rightfully so) when the federal judicial system catches up, but depending on his voter base, something like this could very well pay off in a future election.

Politics aside...what a miserable human being, to do that to other fellow humans all for some kind of stupid political stunt. I wonder how this guy would feel if the situation were revered and he was suddenly stripped of his own rights.

Very embarrassing situation for all of Kansas. I'd be ashamed to have that guy as my state's governor.