Thread: New kind of diaper plastic?

Default New kind of diaper plastic?

Has anyone ever seen or felt a diaper that had plastic outer that felt so soft it was almost like cloth......but it wasn't. Also this Plastic is breathable. Has anyone heard of that before? I am trying to design a diaper that we will all love and not have to pay those crazy prices those other guys charge. Any and all Input would be nice. -Thanks Everyone-

Total Dry Plus and the last batch of Unique Wellness Superios used a similar plastic. I wouldn't expect that it is breathable but it felt closer to a clothlike cover than any plastic I have encountered before. This is not a bonus to me. I particularly hated the Total Dry Plus. I prefer cloth and plastic to stay in their respective corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwear365 View Post
    Has anyone ever seen or felt a diaper that had plastic outer that felt so soft it was almost like cloth......but it wasn't. Also this Plastic is breathable. Has anyone heard of that before? I am trying to design a diaper that we will all love and not have to pay those crazy prices those other guys charge. Any and all Input would be nice. -Thanks Everyone-
    This is an interesting notion of entrepreneurship... Trevor said it quite succinctly... cloth (cloth-like) and plastic ought to be put back to their respective places... For example... aside from a sort of plastic-fetish I have, My preferred nighttime/sleeping diapers are not breathable, nor cloth-like... the breathable also means they wick dampness onto the bedding, and tend to emit more odor, and the cloth-like does not slide around well, so creates more bunching and over-all disturbance of the diaper position... and, I like the feel of the smooth plastic better...

For daytime, and when flow rate and frequency are not too bad... then a cloth-like diaper is perfectly suitable to me for discretion of sound, and a trimmer profile. It also helps that I don't slide in my clothes when sitting... which can be a particular issue when riding or driving... I still prefer to not have the breathable though, due to odor and dampness/wicking... the benefit of greater air-flow to purportedly aid in skin health, is not something I've found particularly noticeable... I think that it's a worthless marketing gimmick myself...

After this, I want proper sized small diapers... Plastic, Youth-sized/Adult XS, with 2-3 more inches of length in the rise (between the leg scoops)... would be excellent for daytime use, for me... as the waist edges would not be too tall, and the body of the diaper would not be too bulky, yet there would be a good seal around the legs...

For nighttime, if you brought back the Bambino-Bianco smalls, and maybe brought the capacity closer to the Teddies... probably by having the waist edges go to navel height or more and, shortening the leg scoops to create a wider wrap below the butt-cheecks, and that might start over the thigh-tops sooner than the pelvic bone protrusions... insure high standing gathers, leg cuff elastics not too long... and maybe give the perforated plastic directional inner liners another go... as an alternative to the common spun-bond poly sheet... And last but not least... thicker wing padding (front and back) that goes squarely to within a half-inch of the back-sheet edges (remember the earlier Pampers and such?)... I think with all that... we could have a diaper that is functionally superior, give us the fun and nostalgia of earlier diapers... and could be made with variations on prints, and without prints... Oh, I'm not sure how functionally well it would work... but, one huge tape tab, with a straight landing zone on front... for a total of two tapes per diaper... I think the tape tabs would have to be around 1.5-1.72" X 2-2.5"... scale and tweak something like a 1990's plastic baby diaper to fit us...

Sorry I don't really have any ideas on this

I really don't know how you would do this, or something more comparable to what's on the market now... without it having to be as much or more expensive as the specialty ones in existence now...

Best of luck though!
    -Marka

I prefer traditional plastic backed diapers or plastic pants
    I don't like cloth like disposables they tend leak more easily and some brands the covers are rough like sand paper and chaff my legs and inner thighs

I like to think there's a group of people who, like me, enjoy a cloth-backed AB/DL diaper, and wish they had a source other than ABU. Initially, it seemed that Snuggies was considering such a thing, but they went for the bigger market -- which is understandable from a business standpoint. Still, if you're thinking about making a diaper that won't simply be "yet another _____", then I think a well-thought-out answer to Cushies would be appreciated. My requests would be: Soft, cloth-like backing; hook-and-loop tapes; one large tape per side; elastic wings (like baby diapers); all-over print.

I do agree with the above folks who've said that a hybrid of cloth-like and plastic would be unappealing. Best to be good at a few things than "meh" at everything.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 04-Feb-2015 at 19:05.

I love plastic back better then cloths ones because there more comfortable for me. I would love diaper cheaper then most ABDL diapers on the market today.

Yep, I strongly prefer plastic as well. I don't even get the appeal of cloth backed anymore once I started trying out plastic backed diapers. They're more comfortable. In my case at least, actually cause less skin irritation, stay fitted longer due to not stretching quite as much, and when you accidentally get a side leak it isn't an instant game over, with plastic-backed it at least has the chance to roll around to the absorbent material on the back of the diaper as long as it isn't too much. If you have cloth backing that just instantly goes right to your outer clothing. They also have less friction against your clothes and slide around better, so you tend to not notice they are there quite as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I like to think there's a group of people who, like me, enjoy a cloth-backed AB/DL diaper, and wish they had a source other than ABU. Initially, it seemed that Snuggies was considering such a thing, but they went for the bigger market -- which is understandable from a business standpoint. Still, if you're thinking about making a diaper that won't simply be "yet another _____", then I think a well-thought-out answer to Cushies would be appreciated. My requests would be: Soft, cloth-like backing; hook-and-loop tapes; one large tape per side; elastic wings (like baby diapers); all-over print.

I do agree with the above folks who've said that a hybrid of cloth-like and plastic would be unappealing. Best to be good at a few things than "meh" at everything.

agree completely! cloth-backed are what I grew up in and i don't understand all the dislike they seem to generate (can i even use dislike as a noun like that?). if someone made another cloth-backed adult diaper, i'd buy half the warehouse!