Difference between Diapers and Nappies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

santa22

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I know that there names may be different, but i'm just wondering if there's a physical difference between diapers and nappies?

No difference, just the name as far as I know.

santa22 said:
I know that there names may be different, but i'm just wondering if there's a physical difference between diapers and nappies?

One is a Diaper: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/diaper -this falls on the cotton category-

Other is a Nappy: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nappy -Except this falls on the hair category-

I guess it is a different word people are comfortable with physically saying.

You hear the word "nappy" from New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland, Uk, Australia and found one from wikipedia: Zimbabwe

There is no difference, it's just a different term people use in another part of the world like the UK or Australia.

It's like 'tire' and 'tyre'. Different word, same meaning.

Meowstic said:
It's like 'tire' and 'tyre'. Different word, same meaning.

Tire means "to become weary", but a tyre is what you put on a wheel to aid traction. :p (In Britland anyway!)

But yes -- nappy and diaper are just regional variations for the same object.

santa22 said:

Nope.

Now they mean the same thing, but I did find this. I'm to tired at the moment to facts check it.

Just you lot over there being different again like red is a colour to me but a color to you and I'm good at maths not math

- - - Updated - - -

Snivy said:
One is a Diaper: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/diaper -this falls on the cotton category-

Other is a Nappy: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nappy -Except this falls on the hair category-

I guess it is a different word people are comfortable with physically saying.

You hear the word "nappy" from New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland, Uk, Australia and found one from wikipedia: Zimbabwe
All former Uk colonial countries

they are called nappies in the uk and Australia. and diapers in north america. im sure other countrys have some names for them too.
but in the end they are he exact same thing

nappies and diapers are basically the same thing
cloth nappies tend to be made of terry cloth similar to bath towels where cloth diapers are usually a different type of cloth like birds eye, gauze or flannel

wetatnight said:
nappies and diapers are basically the same thing
cloth nappies tend to be made of terry cloth similar to bath towels where cloth diapers are usually a different type of cloth like birds eye, gauze or flannel

That's more to do with regional variations for the word, and regional variations in fabric preference. The meaning of "diaper" and "nappy" are synonymous and don't specify or imply a particular type of fabric.

Come to think of it, neither name makes any sense, really.

Diaper and nappy is the same thing. Although I prefer too say diaper. The word excites me lol. Here in Cape Town we have another word these. Kimbi it's a slang word based on a brand of diaper we had here long ago.

parcelboy2 said:
All former Uk colonial countries

Well the US is technically a former UK colony and people don't refer to them as nappies. ;) In India, most people I know refer to them as "diapers", but then again diapers have only recently started being popular with mainstream Indian consumers.

Its just the name from different countries.

nappy - UK
diaper - American
pañal - Spanish
luier - Dutch
Windel - German
couche - French
косматый - Russian
omutsu - Japanese
Pieluszka - polish

etc.

tiny said:
Tire means "to become weary", but a tyre is what you put on a wheel to aid traction. :p (In Britland anyway!)

But yes -- nappy and diaper are just regional variations for the same object.
In the U.S 'tire' is both a wheel and when you're exhausted.

santa22 said:

since you're not wondering about the common [mis]use of the words, yes, there is a difference; and it's all to do with the weave, not the use of the cloth, as both are weaving terms.

diaper weaves are based on further development of herringbone twill
'nappy/nappe', although used from the 15th century, was really popularized with the development of mass production in weaving, during the Industrial Revolution, and such popularity of use was taken from the Flemish weavers' use of 'noppe' (or it's then equivilent; sorry, can't remember for sure, but i think it can be confused with the modern Dutch 'knappen'), they having been brought to Britain to establish the terry-towelling 'nappy' weave, looms and techniques.
'nappy' becoming used as a by-word specifically for babies' absorbant attire is most likely due to textile workers taking off-cuts for family use, and the nature of industrialization also meant a greater separation of young and old and also of what materials and styles of clothing were available and suitable for each.
previously, underwear was little different for any age or sex, with women only having to wear [what we would call] 'nappies' for obvious reasons; but, all such were equally 'nappies/diapers', being more akin to loincloths, with young babies swaddled rather than nappied/diapered.

Abdlforever said:
In the U.S 'tire' is both a wheel and when you're exhausted.

I remember seeing the word "night" commonly spelt "nite" on signs when I was in the US. And "doughnuts" spelt "donuts". I always wondered (as with "tire") -- are they legitimate spellings that would be acceptable on, say, an (American) English exam... Or are they tongue-in-cheek jokes about crazy spelling...?

Like... you see the letters "EZ" on signs/products because (with US pronunciation) it sounds like "easy". But (I assume) you would be marked down in an exam for spelling "easy" like that! Is it the same with "nite" and "donuts" and "tire"...? Or are they equally valid in formal use?

tiny said:
I remember seeing the word "night" commonly spelt "nite" on signs when I was in the US. And "doughnuts" spelt "donuts". I always wondered (as with "tire") -- are they legitimate spellings that would be acceptable on, say, an (American) English exam... Or are they tongue-in-cheek jokes about crazy spelling...?

Like... you see the letters "EZ" on signs/products because (with US pronunciation) it sounds like "easy". But (I assume) you would be marked down in an exam for spelling "easy" like that! Is it the same with "nite" and "donuts" and "tire"...? Or are they equally valid in formal use?

To my knowledge, those aren't used in anything formal. They're a mix of organic changes and attempts to change things or make English easier: http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/spell/histsp.html. I'm not aware of "tire" as one of those conscious efforts. It's the accepted spelling 'round these parts: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back