Not open for further replies.

NappiedTruckDriver

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Well i run a windows 8 lap top and i've finaly had enough of window IE :mad:
It was slow to load pages and keeped freezing up , so i've just swaped to Fire fox what a difference :cool:
When are Microsoft going to stop producing crap !

I know this, therefore i use Fire fox. Cause IE very slow load websites. Use Fire fox or Chrome, or delete the Not used applications.

People still use IE? I can't really imagine why, aside from corporate and governmental short-sightedness.

Firefox dug away at IE's market share in gradual strides starting about 8 years ago, and Chrome nearly wrecked the market share of both IE and Firefox - at least in stats provided by my usual reference Sitepoint.

http://www.sitepoint.com/browser-trends-november-2014-ie-drops-20/

I still use Firefox for web development, and it's a positively solid experience for general browsing - the only reason why I use Chrome as my primary browser on all my home machines is the same reason I switched to IE in 2000 and Firebird/Firefox way back in 2003ish - a perceived increase in speed.

As for when Microsoft will stop producing crap? Probably when it stops being profitable to do so. If we all stop buying Windows OS and embrace Linux, they might be compelled to produce something special. There was a time, long long ago, when Internet Explorer was actually a better option (over the leviathan of bloat, Netscape 4) so anything could happen. Some day, seeing the tide shift toward Linux, Microsoft could actually pull an Apple and embrace it themselves, producing a streamlined, semi proprietary, and absolutely dirt cheap distribution of Debian. They could focus on developing drivers, decent interfaces and compatibility layers instead of increasingly bloated operating system software with code dating back to the bronze age of computing.

parcelboy2 said:
Well i run a windows 8 lap top and i've finaly had enough of window IE :mad:
It was slow to load pages and keeped freezing up , so i've just swaped to Fire fox what a difference :cool:
When are Microsoft going to stop producing crap !

Google Chrome I prefer using ^^ but I have to use Firefox for school, so I have to have bother browsers.

Who does honestly use IE anymore? I guess some old generation people prefer using it but it is not as fast as other browsers anymore. And to answer your question with another question, when is Microsoft going to stop being a bitch? :3

IE is so bad that in Windows 10, they are actually using a new browser that is code named spartan, IE will be available for legacy and corporate customers. I try to use Firefox at times, but it just crashes too often in windows and linux. Chrome works quite well and is more secure. Usually in the pwn2own contests, Firefox gets hacked first. If you do download firefox, becareful you get it from the official mozilla site, as there are many installers out there infected with spyware or viruses.

I used to use Firefox, but switch to Chrome a few years ago.

IE ... is ... well. A thing? I don't know lol, it's pretty bad honestly and I usually like Microsoft's products. Windows X is going to be coming with an entirely new web browser, don't even think it's called IE anymore. Question is .... how well will it work.

----updated----
mattyd said:
IE is so bad that in Windows 10, they are actually using a new browser that is code named spartan, IE will be available for legacy and corporate customers. I try to use Firefox at times, but it just crashes too often in windows and linux. Chrome works quite well and is more secure. Usually in the pwn2own contests, Firefox gets hacked first. If you do download firefox, becareful you get it from the official mozilla site, as there are many installers out there infected with spyware or viruses.

Spartan .. so that is what it's called right now.

I'm just shocked that you were still willing to use the internet if you've only ever been exposed to IE. I switched away about 14 years ago.

Unfortunately there are certain websites I have to use for work that only load in IE, so I haven't been able to abandon it.

I use FireFox on my Mac in place of Safari. I mostly like it, though I'll swear that the developers think "bookmark" means "a place you never want to go again". The Bookmarks feature in Firefox is practically unusable -- unless you like ending up with a bunch of random-named bookmarks and having to hunt around for them in multiple menus. What were they thinking?! Fortunately there are plug-ins, but I'll take the Favorites feature from IE over Firefox's Bookmarks anytime.

Cottontail said:
I mostly like it, though I'll swear that the developers think "bookmark" means "a place you never want to go again". The Bookmarks feature in Firefox is practically unusable --

I don't know what you're talking about. I have all my bookmarks set up as a toolbar that I can just click right away.

See:Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 3.04.44 PM.png

ampelhamza said:
I don't know what you're talking about. I have all my bookmarks set up as a toolbar that I can just click right away.

The toolbar is useless if you're bookmarking things like searches on eBay, LinkedIn, craigslist, etc., which is what the majority of my bookmarks are. Putting such things in the toolbar would make it appear as though I had ten of the same thing in there, and with the names being truncated I'd have no idea what I was clicking on. So I don't use the toolbar at all.

One of my bigger gripes is that, when you click the star to bookmark a page, you aren't immediately prompted to name your bookmark like you are in Safari, IE, and just about everything else. That's fundamentally broken. Bookmarks are something that you create fairly infrequently and then use many, many times. As a result, optimizing for the creation case is just bad design. I don't care about being saved a click or a few keystrokes when I create a bookmark; I want to be immediately offered a chance to name the thing and put it in the right place. Having to click the star, then go and find the bookmark, right-click it, rename it, etc.... Ugh. What were they thinking?

I also really hate the fact that the bookmarks in the menu can't be put at the top level unless you drag them around in the sidebar or create them from there. I don't have so many bookmarks that I need all of them to be in subfolders, so just put them at the top level by default, please! Except in rare cases, I want to click a menu, see a bookmark, and click it. Done.

In short, I mostly like FireFox. The bookmark thing is sort of a nit, but I do genuinely dislike that part.

I don't really use IE, but it's still the darling of the corporate and institutional world. I don't have any particular beef with it. I like Chrome's functionality, but I hate that it's a resource hog. Firefox is good but for the lack of easy duplicate tab functionality. Safari occasionally does stupid things, even on a MacBook Pro.

In short, they all suck. Chrome's just the least sucky of them, I suppose. I miss Opera.

The old dude here also uses Google Chrome, for all the said reasons. IE is just down right annoying, being slow and cumbersome.

I went straight from Mosaic to Netscape, then Mozilla, then Firefox.

I always hated IE. ActiceX made it a magnet for malware and MS kept trying to abuse their position in breaking standard conventions...

Chrome is pretty slick and minimalist... but there are hardly any good add-ons and you just know that somehow Google has it's omnipresent eye on you!

tiny said:
ActiceX made it a magnet for malware and MS kept trying to abuse their position in breaking standard conventions...
Well, but how many times have you had to install Flash, and how many security updates has that required? Fortunately, casual ActiveX use in web development has declined precipitously (it still has its place), but let's see how much longer we're stuck dealing with awkward Adobe appendages hanging off our browsers. :)

tiny said:
you just know that somehow Google has it's omnipresent eye on you!

Xkcd already addressed this =) http://xkcd.com/792/

Personally I love chrome its highly functional, fast and user friendly.

Last edited:
Me I keep both firefox and chrome.
Mostly I use chrome, but sometime it can be a resource hog.
So I like to have firefox handy for big downloads (chrome download manager is glitchy) and css live editing.

- - - Updated - - -

For IE websites cant you just use an user-agent switcher?
Since most of the code is old I dont see why new browsers (firefox and chrome) cant see them, unless blocked by user-agents.

IE is only ever used to download a new browser.

I have three email addresses that I follow, so have all three browsers simultaneously (Firefox, IE11, but mainly Chrome). I use incognito Firefox for fetish stuff like this web site. Also, my security camera software only works on IE11 so I am stuck with that browser anyway. I have recently had problems viewing AOL article comments (they do not show), so I copy the address in IE11 to see them (the Chrome problem may be due to IDF on-line identity security software).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back