Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm sorry, but what's up with this?!

Default I'm sorry, but what's up with this?!

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/...ermanent-baby/

I guess I should have expected this from Faux News, but really?

I haven't even finished reading the article, but I'm fuming already.

***I must say that I overreacted in my thread title and overall response. I apologize for any perceived sensationalism. I understand that the Mature Topics forum is deserving of more eloquent exposition, and to that end, I offer my apologies.***
    Last edited by Crinklesaurus; 29-Jan-2015 at 07:26.

Old new and the article is totally inaccurate. It took Stanley years and years to build up his AB collection and he only has about ten dollars left over after paying all his bills so he earns a little extra by going out and collecting pop cans to turn in for some cash. Also it took him weeks to build his high chair and the show staged him getting wood for it and it put him in pain doing that work so he had to rest which wasn't shown on the show. He whole a whole entire essay on his website defending himself and he said these things.

I don't know. Let's take an honest look at this from the other side: Here is a dependent of the US government who is also doing his best to live a dependent child's lifestyle. It's a metaphor made real. People are going to be pissed about that. I don't know if I agree with Dr. Ablow's suggestion that ABDL is a treatable psychosis, but I think he's also suggesting that Stanley has other things going on, and that seems very likely. Given that, his lamenting the fact that the government would rather hide its problems than fix them isn't wholly without merit.

I understand that the article is riddled with inaccuracies; however, I am appalled at the lack of journalistic integrity on the part of Fox News.

I understand that it was published as an "opinion" piece, but that does not grant any liberties to be a bigoted, condescending ass about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I don't know. Let's take an honest look at this from the other side: Here is a dependent of the US government who is also doing his best to live a dependent child's lifestyle. It's a metaphor made real. People are going to be pissed about that. I don't know if I agree with Dr. Ablow's suggestion that ABDL is a treatable psychosis, but I think he's also suggesting that Stanley has other things going on, and that seems very likely. Given that, his lamenting the fact that the government would rather hide its problems than fix them isn't wholly without merit.
    Not really the right angle to consider it, I think. Stanley, for a variety of reasons, wasn't able to support himself at the time the article was written. That inability to function is the mental illness, whether it expresses itself in ABDL, depression, hallucinations, or any other form. If a person is suffering from that, I think the government ought to care for them. You can argue about the details, about how much care he should get, whether it makes sense to give him diapers or whatever, but when it comes down to it, I think that people who...break, for lack of a better word, should be taken care of at some basic level, not left to suffer. It's not even for them, it's about reducing crime, getting people off the streets, and ultimately saving society money by treating people who are hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicZelda View Post
    I understand that the article is riddled with inaccuracies; however, I am appalled at the lack of journalistic integrity on the part of Fox News.

I understand that it was published as an "opinion" piece, but that does not grant any liberties to be a bigoted, condescending ass about it.
    It's old, don't worry yourself over Fox News, or anyone else writing a biased and inaccurate piece. It happens constantly. Just do your best to spread accurate info instead.

The lack of Journalistic Integrity in Faux News is nothing new. Just ask any resident of Birmingham, England how reliable their news stories are. http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/...omplete-idiot/

As for whether Stanley should still receive social security (aside from that being old news), I'm not going to question whether he should receive it or not as I don't know much about Stanley or why he's getting it. Doesn't even matter since the guy who wanted to take action on this, Sen. Tom Coburn is no longer in office anyways.

unless you are his doctor or work for social security I wouldn't be judging Stanley, he is messed up, and being a baby is the least of his issues, I remember him from DPF, serious mental illness, he spent a good portion of his childhood with horrible parents and in institutions, he has been investigated for fraud and found innocent, and if you think its easy to get disability, then you are living in a make believe world. People who have serious conditions get turned down almost automatically, my lawyers didn't understand why I was refused, Ive been fighting for it for almost 2 years, I know people worse off than me that are still waiting.

- - - Updated - - -

What a crappy article, it fails to mention if the man killed himself after the "great" doctor kicked him out. Tough love doesn't work well on suicidal people, thankfully the doctor is either dead or retired.

This article is dated from 2011. This is old news.

Stanley became a minor conservative cause a couple years back when the National Geographic piece aired, because a guy on disability who spends his time acting like a baby is just too perfect a target for an audience that's convinced that there's widespread fraud and abuse of safety net programs.

Stanley has given his side of the story - basically National Geographic helped him do the things that made him appear able, he lives a very Spartan lifestyle given what disability actually pays, and after getting political heat, he got grilled by the disability people before they ultimately concluded that it absolutely was appropriate for him to be on disability.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    Not really the right angle to consider it, I think. Stanley, for a variety of reasons, wasn't able to support himself at the time the article was written. That inability to function is the mental illness, whether it expresses itself in ABDL, depression, hallucinations, or any other form. If a person is suffering from that, I think the government ought to care for them. You can argue about the details, about how much care he should get, whether it makes sense to give him diapers or whatever, but when it comes down to it, I think that people who...break, for lack of a better word, should be taken care of at some basic level, not left to suffer. It's not even for them, it's about reducing crime, getting people off the streets, and ultimately saving society money by treating people who are hurt.
    I agree with you. I think maybe you missed the last part of my post. I *don't* agree with the article's focus on ABDL, but I do agree with the its core message that simply paying a mentally ill person to go away -- versus treating them -- is morally void. Of course, moral voidness is sometimes all the government can reasonably afford, but that's for another topic.

But I can, to an extent, empathize with the muggles who hear of a situation like Stanley's and get angry about the ABDL bit. That's not badmouthing ABDL, just acknowledging it as a pretty obvious aggravating factor in the public perception of this case. For that reason, I don't feel any outrage over it.

Pretty typical for Fox News really. Retrograde ideas about psychology and society, combined with a clickbait headline. The idea that ABDL is some kind of mental illness is ludicrous, but they've picked about the easiest target in our community for those claims, by exploiting the fact that Stanley Thornton was an ABDL who just happened to suffer from mental health issues, and making extremely tenuous (and factually incorrect) parallels between the two things.

I'd feel slightly annoyed if I felt like Fox News was singling out ABDLs for special criticism and disdain. As it is, we're the latest in a long line of vastly varying minorities, from the Islamic community in the US, to pregnant women wanting abortions, to get a set of idiotic aspersions cast on us by this 'news source' (and I use the term loosely) that nobody should be taking seriously.