Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Running?

  1. #1

    Default Running?

    Any runners in here?

    I took up running at the start of January by accident (long story!) and have been bitten by the bug!

    I've also seen a really cool aquathlon (750m swim then 5k run) in April that I'm thinking about signing up for (although I'm not sure about the transition!)

    So, do you guys run? What distance? Any advice for an aquathlon?

  2. #2

    Default

    Wow! A Star Trek thread was started last week, and a Runners thread this week! Life is good on Adisc. (if you check my user name you'll understand why these topics make me happy).

    I've been a long distance runner for thirty six years now. I started at a very low point in my life and running pulled me through it and changed my life. I told my story here: http://www.adisc.org/forum/showthrea...ophy-of-sports.

    I still run six miles a day and I rarely miss a day. These days I like to train for a half marathon in the spring and another one in the fall. I also do a really nice six mile race in Brockville in the summer so it's an opportunity to visit some family there.

    I ran my fastest full marathon in 1984, and although I'll never clock those kinds of times again, I love the sport now as much as I did back then. It helps keep me stable and deal with any stress or anxiety in my life.

    I must admit to having one advantage that helps keep me motivated even on the rainiest, coldest, or hottest days of the year. I live a block away from the Rideau Canal which is a world heritage site in Canada. It's a beautiful route with bike paths that run for miles along the canal. No cars or stop lights for the entire route. In winter, it is frozen over and turned into the world's largest skating rink. It plays a prominent part in the Winterlude Festival which begins this weekend: https://www.google.ca/search?q=ottaw...w&ved=0CDEQ7Ak

  3. #3

    Default

    I used to run several times a week when I lived in another city that was close to a cork track. Circumstances changed and I got out of the habit. Now I live in another city, but its a long distance to a cork track, so its an excuse I use to not run, but I may just get some better shoes and run along the water front park and see if I don't kill my knees.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Any runners in here?

    I took up running at the start of January by accident (long story!) and have been bitten by the bug!

    I've also seen a really cool aquathlon (750m swim then 5k run) in April that I'm thinking about signing up for (although I'm not sure about the transition!)

    So, do you guys run? What distance? Any advice for an aquathlon?
    Used to, but I'm several ankle sprains over the lifetime limit. Can't put in the training miles needed to race. Mostly cycling these days. Swim some as well, although my shoulder won't let me go more than a couple thousand meters at a time.

    Cross country and track back in college, marathons, duathlons and triathlons (including several Iron distance) since.

    Getting old sucks. All those injuries I powered through over the decades are catching up to me.

    Anyway, if you're a competent swimmer, 750m is just about perfect warmup distance for the 5k. For best swim performance, you'd also want to get 400m in before the gun to get your heartrate and circulation up to operating speed. Assuming you have access to the water for warmups. Going from zero to fullspeed in a second is ugly and painful.

    Transition? Run in your swimsuit, presumably speedo or compression shorts. No socks, elastic laces in your shoes. Lace locks are OK too if you can't find elastic laces. Tying shoes is wasted time. Talc or footpowder in the shoes if you're worried about friction. 5k is short enough that shouldn't be a big problem. Test the arrangement in a few workouts beforehand.

    Be prepared for pain. At that short a distance, you're going to be in the redzone for pretty much all of it.

    P.S. If you consider the swim distance a challenge, the best thing you could do is find lessons or a swim clinic between now and then. Swimming is more about technique and efficiency than anything else. Unless you were a collegiate swimmer, improving your stroke will buy you more speed than all the thousands of laps you could do between now and April.

  5. #5
    Misatoismywaifu

    Default

    I despise running but I'm trying to get my run down to 40 minutes for five miles, any tips?

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Duality View Post
    I despise running but I'm trying to get my run down to 40 minutes for five miles, any tips?
    My college coach was a mileage whore. His tip would be "80 miles a week ... Then do your speed work"

    Edit: You can get your cardiovascular conditioning in better shape with things other than running. Swimming and cycling are especially good. And don't forget speed work. 2-3 days a week of track intervals. Example: 2 mile warmup, 12x400 on the 90 second, 2 mile cool down.

    You have to practice fast to be fast.

    Edit 2: A couple days a week of track intervals + 300 miles a week cycling can get you under 35 minutes, maybe under 30. Been there done that due to injury (past age 50)
    Last edited by Maxx; 30-Jan-2015 at 02:13.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Used to, but I'm several ankle sprains over the lifetime limit. Can't put in the training miles needed to race. Mostly cycling these days. Swim some as well, although my shoulder won't let me go more than a couple thousand meters at a time.

    Cross country and track back in college, marathons, duathlons and triathlons (including several Iron distance) since.

    Getting old sucks. All those injuries I powered through over the decades are catching up to me.

    Anyway, if you're a competent swimmer, 750m is just about perfect warmup distance for the 5k. For best swim performance, you'd also want to get 400m in before the gun to get your heartrate and circulation up to operating speed. Assuming you have access to the water for warmups. Going from zero to fullspeed in a second is ugly and painful.

    Transition? Run in your swimsuit, presumably speedo or compression shorts. No socks, elastic laces in your shoes. Lace locks are OK too if you can't find elastic laces. Tying shoes is wasted time. Talc or footpowder in the shoes if you're worried about friction. 5k is short enough that shouldn't be a big problem. Test the arrangement in a few workouts beforehand.

    Be prepared for pain. At that short a distance, you're going to be in the redzone for pretty much all of it.

    P.S. If you consider the swim distance a challenge, the best thing you could do is find lessons or a swim clinic between now and then. Swimming is more about technique and efficiency than anything else. Unless you were a collegiate swimmer, improving your stroke will buy you more speed than all the thousands of laps you could do between now and April.
    Hey, thanks for the advice! The swimming I'm not at all concerned about. I'm fairly sure I can get my swim time down to a fairly fast MOP (and luckily this isn't a major event, more a start of season warm-up). I regularly swim a mile or two in the pool for fun.

    In terms of the transition - do female runners also just run in their costumes? Early April in Scotland is bloody cold, and I'm really worried about running with wet hair etc. I'm thinking maybe a fleecey headband, a light sweatshirt and leggings to over my costume?

    I'm going to do my next training session tomorrow morning with no socks on and talc in my shoes to see if that works ok for me

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Hey, thanks for the advice! The swimming I'm not at all concerned about. I'm fairly sure I can get my swim time down to a fairly fast MOP (and luckily this isn't a major event, more a start of season warm-up). I regularly swim a mile or two in the pool for fun.

    In terms of the transition - do female runners also just run in their costumes? Early April in Scotland is bloody cold, and I'm really worried about running with wet hair etc. I'm thinking maybe a fleecey headband, a light sweatshirt and leggings to over my costume?

    I'm going to do my next training session tomorrow morning with no socks on and talc in my shoes to see if that works ok for me
    In triathlon, yes. Remember that women are typically blessed with more insulation. High heart rate, short distance, shouldn't be a problem. That said, pay attention to the forecast and know thyself. I recall a long duathlon in Chicago... Start temp mid-60's. Shortly after getting on the bike in my Speedo and Styrofoam hat, the wind shifted off Lake Michigan, and I had to ride 40 miles in mid 40's temps at 25-30 mph before the final 8 mile run. Not pleasant.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    In triathlon, yes. Remember that women are typically blessed with more insulation. High heart rate, short distance, shouldn't be a problem. That said, pay attention to the forecast and know thyself. I recall a long duathlon in Chicago... Start temp mid-60's. Shortly after getting on the bike in my Speedo and Styrofoam hat, the wind shifted off Lake Michigan, and I had to ride 40 miles in mid 40's temps at 25-30 mph before the final 8 mile run. Not pleasant.
    Ouch! That doesn't sound fun! Yeah, I think I'm going to put on a layer or two, and if I get too hot I can always tie them round my waist! It's a coastal route, in an area that people go to for kite surfing, so it's pretty windy all the time, so I reckon prepare for the cold and be happy if it's not

    Thanks

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Ouch! That doesn't sound fun! Yeah, I think I'm going to put on a layer or two, and if I get too hot I can always tie them round my waist! It's a coastal route, in an area that people go to for kite surfing, so it's pretty windy all the time, so I reckon prepare for the cold and be happy if it's not

    Thanks
    Just like Lake Michigan. Windy is less important than fickle.

Similar Threads

  1. Dry 24/7 up and running!
    By thickdiapers in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-Apr-2014, 02:54
  2. Running low
    By Doubtful in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2014, 02:07
  3. Running a Marathon
    By jj2jjj in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-May-2012, 21:34
  4. Running
    By ScoobyDooKiddo in forum Incontinence
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-Apr-2012, 07:03
  5. FSX still running at 20 FPS!
    By LinkFloyd in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-Jan-2011, 12:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.