Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which type of waste do diapers belong to?

Question Which type of waste do diapers belong to?

When it comes to selective waste collection, where do they belong to? Assuming plastic backed diapers.

degradable/food
    unsorted
    plastic
    paper

Cheers,
    Thomas

I put all my dirty diapers into blue medical waste bags so no one(hobos) accidentally tear into a bag of nasty while they dumpsterdive.

Dirty diapers belong in the garbage.

However, there are programs that collect diapers separately for recycling. Usually these companies service daycares and the like, and sometimes local residents can participate. You could look into that. It would be more effort than curbside pickup, though. Additionally, if you remove the plastic backing, in most cases the rest of the diaper can be composted in your own compost bin (but it not suitable for municipal collection).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnythepony View Post
    I put all my dirty diapers into blue medical waste bags so no one(hobos) accidentally tear into a bag of nasty while they dumpsterdive.
    What brand of bag is that? Seems a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by MrCarter View Post
    What brand of bag is that? Seems a good idea
    Just blue heavy-duty garbage bags I get from the Giant Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinklebottom View Post
    Dirty diapers belong in the garbage.

However, there are programs that collect diapers separately for recycling. Usually these companies service daycares and the like, and sometimes local residents can participate. You could look into that. It would be more effort than curbside pickup, though. Additionally, if you remove the plastic backing, in most cases the rest of the diaper can be composted in your own compost bin (but it not suitable for municipal collection).
    Remove the backing all you want. The diaper still contains human waste. It is bio-hazard no matter how you look at it. That being said, they need to go to either a landfill, or a facility that can incinerate them. Question my position on the environment all you want, but, my soiled diapers go straight to the landfill...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1982 View Post
    Remove the backing all you want. The diaper still contains human waste. It is bio-hazard no matter how you look at it. That being said, they need to go to either a landfill, or a facility that can incinerate them. Question my position on the environment all you want, but, my soiled diapers go straight to the landfill...
    There are recycling companies that don't seem to be worried about any biological problems...and I personally see no reason to second-guess that, if they are approved to operate. I wouldn't say that's an environmental question.

But that case aside, sure, I agree that in general they are household waste and should be taken to the garbage dump.