Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My niece who is nearly 14 is coming to stay for a week whom is a bed wetter see more below

Unhappy My niece who is nearly 14 is coming to stay for a week whom is a bed wetter see more below

My G Niece whom is coming in the summer holidays to stay for a week however
    her Mum has informed me that she has taken off her plastic sheet on her bed at home and will not have it on as she says it is un comfortable so has ruined her mattress on her bed . Apparently she has worn Tena Ladies protection to bed while on holiday in a hotel but My wife and I are worried she will ruin our brand new spare bed I don't think she would wear a nappy and plastic pants to bed!. so we are stumped as to what are these Tena Ladies things are ! even my wife don't know! I know that there are pull up's and Pj pants for up to 15 yr olds but have been told that they leak ! she is actually nearly 14 and have been told weighs 97lbs I don't see her often so don't know what size plastic pants to get her as even if she would wear them?and her bed wetting is getting less and is down to about twice a week according to her mum ! but it is the un predictability of will she wet ?she asked us if she could come and stay as we live near London! UK .
    and want's us to take her up to see the sights of London!...lol can anyone advise us? or suggestions Please as we are at a loss what to do your suggestions would be most valuable and thanks in anticipation!

First of all, welcome to the site. Please take a moment and introduce yourself here: New Members

As for your predicament, since it's your house tell your niece that she must abide by your house rules and wear "protection" of some kind just in case she has an accident. Like you said, there are many products on the market including adult pull ups and diapers. At 97 lbs, she probably wears a small size.

You can get mattress protectors that are cloth covered and are much less noticeable. I'd just consider this a minimal precaution, and one that is non-negotiable. I think the rest is up to her parents. You can revisit any other actions if there actually is an accident on your protected bed.

Trevor are you on about the Terry mattress covers you can get in John Lewis?they do a single one for 25?
    your help in this is much appreciated or are you on about a different type that don't rustle and hardly noticeable when You said Linen is that what you meant the Terry Toweling type? I am in the UK not USA to be honest I don't think if she had an accident that she would wear plastic pants and a nappy as she would probably find it babyish and to be honest I don't know what her parents would say!. I will have to discuss it with her mum and see what she has to say? as you said it is our house if she wants to come then she has to abide by our rules obviously they have to be reasonable rules!...the way I think I would tackle things is by saying to her or getting my wife to say to her that she is old enough to take charge of her own personal care and wetting the bed needs to be taken care of and in this home we have a comfortable sheet on the bed and she should need to wear something as a precaution so as should she wet she sleeps in a dry bed! do you think that might work?

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
    Trevor are you on about the Terry mattress covers you can get in John Lewis?they do a single one for 25?
    your help in this is much appreciated or are you on about a different type that don't rustle and hardly noticeable when You said Linen is that what you meant the Terry Toweling type? I am in the UK not USA to be honest I don't think if she had an accident that she would wear plastic pants and a nappy as she would probably find it babyish and to be honest I don't know what her parents would say!. I will have to discuss it with her mum and see what she has to say? as you said it is our house if she wants to come then she has to abide by our rules obviously they have to be reasonable rules!...the way I think I would tackle things is by saying to her or getting my wife to say to her that she is old enough to take charge of her own personal care and wetting the bed needs to be taken care of and in this home we have a comfortable sheet on the bed and she should need to wear something as a precaution so as should she wet she sleeps in a dry bed! do you think that might work?
    Hi, sapphire!

I certainly understand my house my rules,... I would also caution against what could be considered a forced diapering (nappies), or plastic pants... Enforcement...

It seems to me, that for a few days... she should be able to tolerate a plastic sheet...(compromise) if you put a mattress-cover over that... that will help quite the plastic, and make it not so likely to cause undue perspiration too...

Otherwise, a cloth type (terry?) waterproof mattress protector... would probably be the best all around... even for other guests. If that's in your budget now.

It would certainly be cheaper than having to replace the new mattress...

Supplementing with misfit towels over any sort of protector, would be good too...

My best to you,
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
    I wasn't thinking about any specific product but that sounds about right. I prefer a vinyl mattress protector for my own purposes but I prefer to know it's there. People here have sworn by the cloth protectors as well, so I don't think vinyl is required. As I said, I think you can take reasonable measures on your own property but I'd leave the question of diapers or similar protection to her parents. If you get a protector and she doesn't have any accidents, it's all to the good. If she does, you can talk with her parents about any other necessary steps.

Theres an IKEA GoKart waterproof cover I found ebay polyester cotten
    Polyurethane layer 15.00 GBP mite be the one you will like .
    I searched matterss waterproof cover UK
    I hope this helps

I have one of those cloth mattress protectors on our bed and it works well. There is no crinkle as the plastic is either on the inside or the side that goes against the mattress. As others have said, I would be rigid on this matter. If she has a problem with something that you can't tell is there, then there must be bigger emotional problems.

You can take a mattress protector and put it on then cover it with a quilted mattress cover.

I have done this for years and its almost imposable to tell there is a protector there.

Where i live we get bugs like carpet beetles and you have other pest like mites and bugs that take up homes in mattresses.

Every time i have bought a new mattress i put a zip on mattress protector and use a quilted mattress cover over that.

then i just wash the quilted mattress cover every couple weeks.

A few years back i lived in a apartment and found out the apartment complex was infested with bed bugs.

Everyone in the complex had to throw out there mattresses but me because mine was covered and by just wrapping mine in black plastic and putting it out in the hot desert sun just in case. i had no bedbugs in it.

Thank you all for your input it is a delicate matter as I don't want to frighten the poor girl as she has enough to contend with thankfully the wetting is diminishing and getting less and less my niece (her mum) tells me the GP has said that their is no medical problems as they have done all the necessary tests and all is ok it's just a case of late bladder maturity! . I would agree about the nappy and plastic pants as she has never worn these since a baby and yes the mattress cover is a excellent idea I feel the Terry type waterproof cover would be far more comfortable. Than the vinyl one and less conspicuous I feel that putting a quilted one on top is an excellent idea to thank you all once again