Kid's tv show recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
tiny said:
I suspect it's just my British nostalgia that won't really translate well over the pond, but Rainbow was one of my favourite TV progs from the 70s/80s

Me too I love Rainbow, though if you check out the pilot episode on youtube and watch it with an *...ahem* adult mindset it is rather rude. All the shows you posted are great.

tiny said:
They don't make kids' TV like they used to!

Too true, some of my other fave's (more 80s/90s) are.

Cartoons:
Trapdoor
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Captain Planet
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Danger Mouse
Doug
Garfield and Friends
Hey Arnold!
Inspector Gadget
Sharky & George
Talespin
The Raggy Dolls

Non-cartoons:
Playschool "Here's a house, here's a door. Windows 1 2 3 4, ready to knock? Turn the lock - It's Play School."
Playschool became Playbus which became Playdays I think playbus was best.
zzzap
The Queen's Nose
Fun House
Fragle Rock
Bodger and Badger

There are so many more.

My toddler loves Peg + Cat by PBS. it's on Netflix and is super cute

Depends a bit on what Little age(s) you enjoy, but here's a few (mostly shows which are/have been on in the UK):

0-2 years old:

In the Night Garden
Cloudbabies
Peppa Pig
Anything from Baby TV
Woolly & Tig
Teletubbies

3+ years old:

Rugrats
Wacky Races
Doc McStuffins
Button Moon
Recess
The Octonauts

Apparently there are so many children's shows, old and new, that come to mind. If you want, I can list some shows that are worth watching:

Reading Rainbow
Bananas in Pyjamas (spelled "Pajamas" in the US)
The Big Comfy Couch
Rugrats
Bill Nye the Science Guy
Thomas the Tank Engine (my favorite)
Pokemon
Lamb Chop's Play Along
Dragon's Tales

Personally I am a fan of Thomas the Tank Engine and Sesame Street! So whenever I get the chance to have enough time to watch TV... I would throw on one of those!

However if I'm feeling a bit older.. You can't go wrong with spongebob squarepants or fairly odd parents! So I would watch one of those!

Belarin said:
Me too I love Rainbow, though if you check out the pilot episode on youtube and watch it with an *...ahem* adult mindset it is rather rude. All the shows you posted are great.

Too true, some of my other fave's (more 80s/90s) are.

Cartoons:
Trapdoor
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Captain Planet
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Danger Mouse
Doug
Garfield and Friends
Hey Arnold!
Inspector Gadget
Sharky & George
Talespin
The Raggy Dolls

Non-cartoons:
Playschool "Here's a house, here's a door. Windows 1 2 3 4, ready to knock? Turn the lock - It's Play School."
Playschool became Playbus which became Playdays I think playbus was best.
zzzap
The Queen's Nose
Fun House
Fragle Rock
Bodger and Badger

There are so many more.

Wasn't PlayBus the one where the bus driver in the intro had no idea how to drive and jerked the steering wheel from side to side randomly?

- - - Updated - - -

Dashsanta said:
Personally I am a fan of Thomas the Tank Engine and Sesame Street! So whenever I get the chance to have enough time to watch TV... I would throw on one of those!

However if I'm feeling a bit older.. You can't go wrong with spongebob squarepants or fairly odd parents! So I would watch one of those!

Yeah, and considering all the thinly veiled AB/DL references in both spongebob and fairly odd parents, that would be very fitting.

Right now I'm watching Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, from 1993

I love to watch anything that I remember watching as a little kid, like Blues Clues, Franklin the Turtle, Little Bear, etc. Then there are newer shows like Dinosaur Train and The Backyardigans that are also cute.

Fire2box said:
The Magic School Bus is pretty good for a kids show, it's all on netflix (US).

This was my absolute FAVORITE show as a kid! Makes me want to go back and watch some old episodes lol.

I would say try to find what you watched when you were younger. The nostalgia will be the best way to regress in my opinion. My personal favorites range all over the place since I'm more of a little than an AB. I really enjoy:

Looney Toons
Flintstones
Jetsons (not so much, but it brings back memories)
Tom & Jerry (definitely one of the favorites)
Arthur
Swat Kats
Captain Planet (This is another one of my favorites)
Rugrats
Hey Arnold!
Angry Beavers
Johnny Bravo
Dexter's Laboratory
Bear in the Big Blue House
Out Of The Box (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)
Duck Tales
Sagwa the Siamese Cat
Codename: Kids Next Door
Fairly Oddparents

There's a bunch more, but those are probably a good mix of little and adult baby elements to them. The others lean more towards big kid stuff, so that may not interest you. If you're looking for new shows that are pretty eye catching, the one I'm really into is regular show. I haven't found another to catch my eye.

- - - Updated - - -

Layne0033 said:
Right now I'm watching Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, from 1993

You are speaking my language! That brings back a lot of memories.

- - - Updated - - -

FievelandTonyAB93 said:
Apparently there are so many children's shows, old and new, that come to mind. If you want, I can list some shows that are worth watching:

Reading Rainbow
Bananas in Pyjamas (spelled "Pajamas" in the US)
The Big Comfy Couch
Rugrats
Bill Nye the Science Guy
Thomas the Tank Engine (my favorite)
Pokemon
Lamb Chop's Play Along
Dragon's Tales

Oh man, reading rainbow and dragon's tales were some of my definite favorites back when I was younger. Wow, this thread is so awesome. So many great memories here...

cm90210 said:
My toddler loves Peg + Cat by PBS. it's on Netflix and is super cute

Peg + Cat is one of those wonderful shows where there's an underlying humor for adults. I really like the show.

Winnie the pooh , baby looney tunes , and rugrats , little bear , Franklin , gal gal island , Dinosaurs, Adventures of the Gummi Bears , TaleSpin and chip and dale rescue rangers .

Nick Jr. and early PBS Kids shows are always fair game.

I love Arthur, Tracy Beaker, My Little Pony, Caillou, Teletubbies and Tots TV.

I've seen but a few episodes, but it's kinda cute (aside from the groan worthy puns) Animal Mechanicals. Mechanican We Do It? (Yeah, they say that a lot).

An oldie but a goodie is a Pup named scooby doo. I really loved that show so much. And Power Rangers is always entertaining too.

Oceltot said:
I've seen but a few episodes, but it's kinda cute (aside from the groan worthy puns) Animal Mechanicals. Mechanican We Do It? (Yeah, they say that a lot).

An oldie but a goodie is a Pup named scooby doo. I really loved that show so much. And Power Rangers is always entertaining too.

Yes! I too love watching the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, A. K. A. "Super-Sentai".

caitianx said:
Yes! I too love watching the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, A. K. A. "Super-Sentai".

You know Sentai? I tip my hat to you sir. You keep up with the current seasons?

I love both Power Rangers and Super Sentai--I think that Abaranger and Gokaiger have to be my favourites on the Sentai side, and MMPR through Lost Galaxy (with the addition of Dino Thunder and the specials i.e. Forever Red, Always a Ranger, etc). The newest ones are lousy in my opinion (on the PR side)

I would guess someone here already suggested this but "Rugrats" definitely is a must. I feel by posting this it adds emphasis.

rockdude2 said:
I would guess someone here already suggested this but "Rugrats" definitely is a must. I feel by posting this it adds emphasis.

I second that! :))))

Oceltot said:
You know Sentai? I tip my hat to you sir. You keep up with the current seasons?

I have not seen the latest Power Rangers shows, but I am pretty familiar with the original and Power Rangers ZEO.

- - - Updated - - -

BabyDash said:
I second that! :))))

I have "Rugrats - A Decade in Diapers" on DVD.

- - - Updated - - -

baby664 said:
I love both Power Rangers and Super Sentai--I think that Abaranger and Gokaiger have to be my favourites on the Sentai side, and MMPR through Lost Galaxy (with the addition of Dino Thunder and the specials i.e. Forever Red, Always a Ranger, etc). The newest ones are lousy in my opinion (on the PR side)

Oh! Predating Power Rangers/Super Sentai is "Kamen Rider", which is similar in its themes and supervillians.

Also, do not forget the 1960's "live action" Japanese Kid-Vid shows, "ULTRAMAN", "IRON KING", and "SUPER ROBOT 'RED BARON' ".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back