Best Traveling Diaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMS401

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Sorry for yet another "best diaper" post, but I've not seen this particular topic covered before.

I recently changed jobs and will be traveling more than I have in some time. On my last trip I took along some Dry 24/7s and they nearly took up half my suitcase. Clearly not a workable solution, so I'm looking for a better way to sleep padded.

I don't care about the plastic vs. cloth-like debate and am just looking for the most absorbent thin diaper. My first thoughts were the Tena Slip Maxi, but I've also heard good things about the Wellness Superio. Thoughts? Any other suggestions? Your input is greatly valued and appreciated.

-RMS

If space is key, the Tena slip maxi's are the way to go. For me when I traveled once I took a pack of Abena M3's(before they went CB), I have to assume that cloth back is out of the question though.

Thank you for the recommendation, Jonny. Actually, cloth-backed is NOT out of the question for me, though I may be one of the few who doesn't mind it. I have used (and am currently wearing) the Abena Delta-Form M3, but have not been impressed. So you recommend the Tena over the Superios?

-RMS

I'd try a sample of the new superio diapers, I would definitely recommend the previous version for this kind of thing (I don't trust the new version with this). They redid them and I find they tear easier especially if you have to reapply the tapes. If you ever wore the total dry x-plus, they seem very similar in so many ways. The SAP gets almost clumpy, the previous version would just do a full uniform expansion when wet. The Tena Slip Maxi is fairly absorbent and I have worn at night, sometimes throwing a booster in it just in-case. I would worry a bit if you did the cloth ones due to cloth sagging issues (though some places still have the plastic backed at the moment). I would keep an eye on NorthShore Care, they are going to have a mid-range diaper sometime this year, their normal ones are probably too thick for your requirements (probably is a bit more thick than Abena M4). You could always try to get some of the abri-let boosters for the M3.

Need a good travel diaper? Hmm...Absorbency plus 4 has the exact amount of SAP and absorbency for long travel or car rides (second to a Dry 24/7 which has more padding)

Look into those.

Thanks, all. I think MattyD had the best idea of getting samples of the Superio, and I think I'll try the same for the Tena Maxi. I'd love to travel with something thick, like the A+4, but they just take up too much room in the suitcase.

Funny story, I had diapers on my last trip and my checked bag was pulled out twice for TSA screening. I think they saw something odd that needed a closer look. :)

-RMS

Without much knowledge on different types of diapers, unfortunately I have found that diapers of any thickness will take up some valuable real estate in your suitcase that clothes do not. This is because unlike clothing, you cannot simply fold or roll diapers to make them fit in the suitcase like you can with shirts, pants, underwear, etc. The more diapers you need or the smaller your suitcase, the worse it will be. Over the past several years I have traveled with various diapers ranging from GoodNites to Bellissimos, and I have found all of them to take up some more space in my suitcase than normal (granted I do normally travel with a rather small rollaboard suitcase). However, most of my trips are only 2-3 nights so I have never had an issue with them fitting.

RMS401 said:
Funny story, I had diapers on my last trip and my checked bag was pulled out twice for TSA screening. I think they saw something odd that needed a closer look. :)

I highly doubt the diapers are what caused the TSA to take another look at your bag. I traveled last week with diapers in my carry on and TSA didn't bother taking a second look at my suitcase.

I dont tik TSA saw the diapers, i saw my bag screened in greece last summer, the diapers were not visible, the xray scans througt them, maybe it can be seen as a small shadow on the monitor but a very faint one if so,

a nice travediaper is the molicare super plus, discreete and works well in sitting position

The cloth-backed Tena Slip Maxi tends to swell up a lot, and for guys, a wet diaper would be very uncomfortable when walking. But if you are doing to be using them only when you are sleeping then they should be fine. I use it quite often myself when sleeping.

I was going to suggest Tena Value diapers, the relatively unknown cousin of the TSMs, but I'm not sure if you can get them in the US.

nilson said:
I dont tik TSA saw the diapers, i saw my bag screened in greece last summer, the diapers were not visible, the xray scans througt them
That's probably why it was screened, it would look like a big empty space on the xray so they'd want to open it up and see what caused it.

I second the Tena Slip Maxi suggestion. Those have just about the best absorbency I know of in a relatively "thin" form factor (,compared to bambino, abena, northshore, etc.) and for many, they're their favorite overall diapers period.

The most absorbent "thin" diapers (diapers with high SAP ratio) are Tena Slip Maxi and Attends 10 Slip (Regular and Regular Plus). All are super comfortable to wear out under clothes, as well as for sleeping in. The Superios aren't exactly in the same tier performance-wise.

Well, many years ago (2005) I wore a little known diaper called "Huggies Convertibles" on a ride from Indiana to Oklahoma. It's kind of hard to talk about since I'm a strict Over-Fursuit-Wearer now, but I'll tell you about it the best I can without and graphicness. Let's just say that It held up for over twelve hours on the interstate, I slept for around 3 hours in the back seat and woke up at our hotel. At the time I thought I was being pretty smart, but years later I found out that my uncle knew but didn't say anything. A modern equivalent would be a brief style diaper, or even a goodnight or underjam if you can fit.

I would also second Tena Slip Maxi, and since you don't care about cloth backed, I would definitely order a sample and try them (I've never tried the cloth backed version, but I love the plastic backed ones). Another one that you might want to look into would be Molicares. I've never tried them, but I've heard they are ver similar to Tena Slip Maxi as in they are very thin but still very absorbent.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I've tried every diaper mentioned here except the Wellness Superio, which I thought would get a better response. I've been wanting to give them a shot, but it doesn't look like they're all that loved. I really like the Molicare Super Plus, but think the Tena Slip Maxi may be the way to go for me.

Thank you all again!

-RMS

irnub said:
That's probably why it was screened, it would look like a big empty space on the xray so they'd want to open it up and see what caused it.

Sorry, i used the wrong word, i meant scanned, they did not screen the bag ie open it up or anything , on the screen of the xray you could not see them or very faint if so, i could clearly see my book that was behind the diapers,

I would consider trying the Attends Overnight Breathable Brief. This diaper has very little noise or bulk, the tapes can be fastened and refastened unlimited times (which comes in handy when your "package" shifts during the day), and it is very comfortable. It's not going to have the same performance as one of the premium diapers like Abena or Tena, but if you're looking for a discreet travel-friendly diaper you probably won't be maxing the diaper out anyway. The Attends Overnight Breathable Brief is discreet, extremely comfortable, and very reasonably priced online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back