Why are there no 'ridiculous' diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
If you look at cute diaper art you'll see that the diapers are at least 6" thick and would probably hold more pee than you could pass in 12 hours. I'm not talking about that kind of thing where the diaper is basically a huge bean bag thing, but more like... Just a really, really thick diaper. Why aren't these a thing? They would make an awesome 'special occasion' diaper. Even if they were $10 a diaper, I would still buy a pack of 10.
If a company tried to make these, I dunno, 'super-diapers', do you think they would succeed? If not, why? Production costs, lack of demand?

Because parents would probably not want to spend THAT much on diapers and the market would not sell them.

It's probably a combination of factors ranging from small market size to the capability of equipment. These diaper cores are pressed out and formed in machines that likely weren't designed to make anything so thick. It's also fairly easy to double- or triple-up on diapers to get a similar effect. With cloth, I've several times amused myself by pinning on six or more diapers as once, at which point I could barely sit up in bed. It was fun for a short time, anyway. :)

Diaper "enthusiasts" is already a fairly small market. Enthusiasts who would want a product like this is an even smaller subset.

Also as has been said, this would probably require custom equipment, which would only further increase the cost of producing such a thing with a limited market.

Fabines showed us the trouble with a superdiaper. Specifically, they were really great diapers, well reviewed by actual users, met pretty much all the benchmarks an ABDL could want. But, they were also commanded a hefty premium over their not-quite-as-good-but-popular-and-still-effective counterparts like Bambino and even Dry 24/7. While I believe there is enough demand for a superdiaper in aggregate, the pricing such a product would need to command would render it too expensive for pretty much the entire market. And then, who gets the superdiaper? Remember the ABDL market is effectively two or more markets, so there would not be enough demand to justify production on two continents, and the shipping costs for those on the unlucky side of the ocean would render it practically unobtainable.

Unless, of course, you use cloth. Then, you can make it however thick you like! Find a cute diaper cover, wrap up in enough layers that you can barely lay down, and you're in business!

Having written several reviews of premium diapers and having edited a bunch more, I've come to notice that "premium" diapers all tend to end up in the 1.5-2.0L range under our quantitative test, despite often fairly large differences in raw capacity as seen in XP Medical's comparisons or the general sense one gets from thickness and apparent SAP content.

Basically, once you reach a certain point of use, disposable diapers start failing for all the reasons that aren't capacity. Tapes pop because the backsheet has stretched so much from expansion of the diaper. Leakguards have problems maintaining their seal when the diaper is sagging under several pounds of additional weight. The diaper often can't wick liquid fast enough to the remaining dry areas before it pools and gets out.

To make a "superdiaper", you have to start re-engineering a lot of the other parts of the diaper to work under high stress. I take the fact that none of the mainstream brands are doing it as strong evidence that the per-diaper cost of such goes up so quickly for only incremental improvements that it just doesn't make much sense.

Meowstic said:
If you look at cute diaper art you'll see that the diapers are at least 6" thick and would probably hold more pee than you could pass in 12 hours. I'm not talking about that kind of thing where the diaper is basically a huge bean bag thing, but more like... Just a really, really thick diaper. Why aren't these a thing? They would make an awesome 'special occasion' diaper. Even if they were $10 a diaper, I would still buy a pack of 10.
If a company tried to make these, I dunno, 'super-diapers', do you think they would succeed? If not, why? Production costs, lack of demand?

Well there ARE bariatric diapers, they huge (size wise), expensive, and very hard to find, these are usually favored for other reasons though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back