Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tax Return Time!

Default Tax Return Time!

So at least for those of us in the United States, we've just entered tax return season! (For the non-Americans in the room, we generally get all of our income and account statements for the previous year during January. We have until April 15th or the following Monday if the 15th is on a weekend to file our tax returns. Many of us end up getting a refund because our tax liability ended up being less than was withheld from our paychecks. There are actually a lot of people that deliberately set themselves up to get a refund just to get that little shot in the arm.)

I'm expecting a refund. I have some losses from last year I'm carrying forward into this year, so I'm hoping for a decent refund. As long as that pans out, I'm paying off one of my small student loans and possibly refurbishing my living room. If there's extra, though, I'm probably going to buy a couple cases of fun diapers and maybe a bit of gear I've had my eye on (Segufix!)

So, who's getting a refund? What sorts of fun plans do you have for that refund?

Similar situation in Canada, though I usually break even so no great reno for me. Last year I ended up owing $20

Last year, I got a huge refund of $68.00 I'll probably get about the same this year.

My Social Security income isn't taxed. So I don't pay taxes, so I don't get a refund.

Same here in UK for self employed people , I must do mine but can't be bothered yet still got 2 weeks

My pay scale jumps from bracket to bracket depending on the month so since I been working here I have owed every year which is BS as they take 60% of my check every month. IRS takes more than I get in a month and I still somehow owe them money at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    So at least for those of us in the United States, we've just entered tax return season!
    What?! For me, Tax Season doesn't start until 24 hours prior to the eFile submission deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    So, who's getting a refund? What sorts of fun plans do you have for that refund?
    I usually have a slightly negative "refund" that causes me to regret things I've already done with my money. Really, I try to have as small a refund as possible by fine-tuning my withholdings. I figure that if Uncle Sam isn't going to pay interest on the money I loan him, he ain't getting a loan!

For the past several years, I've had to pay $500. quarterly so I break even. This year should be better since I retired a year ago. I still work my part time job, so I suppose that will be taxed, and both my wife and I get pensions. There also will be taxes on some capital gains, so.......

Misatoismywaifu

Probably going to get some maintenance done on my ride and save the rest for that new Vic I want.