Thread: Eating Issues....

Default Eating Issues....

Hello all! I haven't been on here in a while. I've been pretty depressed lately. I just had another medication change so i'm playing it off as that. I'm trying to get over my eating disorder which i've had for a long time. Since I was 12 and am now 28. I suppose i'm just looking for others who are struggling with these issues and are within the community. I want to get better and I do have some amazing people helping me, but i'm still feeling alone in this battle. I'm also a cutter and have anxiety issues so all in all it gets pretty rough at times. Especially because society (particularly the VA) doesn't know how to handle my issues.

I'm so sorry you're going through so much right now. It sounds really troubling and so sad. I wish I could give you a hug over the internet!

I have gone through similar issues with self-harm, but I guess a lot of people have different reasons for doing what they do. I've since recovered, with the occasional urge here and there when I'm extremely upset or feeling like a loser. Luckily I haven't cut in a few years, probably since I was 28 like yourself. Sometimes I will want to strike myself as hard as I can with my fists or hands, but that usually causes no lasting damage, which I guess in my opinion is good. Would be better if I never had that urge to begin with, though.

I have not really had a true eating disorder, only through a medical condition. I know that there are a few people here who have struggled with EDs, though, and it sounds so tough. It almost sounds like an addiction if that makes any sense. I really do feel for you!

We have something in common with anxiety, though. I get it quite often, still. I wonder if you struggle with it the way I do. Sometimes I get so anxious that it turns into depression. Usually it's a fairly brief depression (a day or two), but it's pretty severe for the time it lasts. It's almost as though I suddenly become overwhelmed with anxiety and just... shut down. You know? It's like a rollercoaster, going really slowly up and up with anxiety until you peak and then crash down super fast into depression. At least, that's how it works with me.

Anyway, I'm willing to talk if you need. Do you ever feel as though you're angry at your body? It sounds like these things are ways you're trying to hurt your body. With not eating properly, or by self-harm, those are all very body-directed, you know? Have you ever spoken to a therapist or anyone like that? I think they may be able to help you change, whereas I can merely sympathize. But I DO sympathize, and I am so sorry this is happening to you. If there's any advice I can give that has helped me - but isn't intended to replace that of a professional - it's that you really have no reason to treat yourself worse than you would treat others. And I bet that you wouldn't starve or physically harm a friend of yours, or maybe not even your worst enemy. You deserve to be treated just as well as anyone else in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    I'm so sorry you're going through so much right now. It sounds really troubling and so sad. I wish I could give you a hug over the internet!

I have gone through similar issues with self-harm, but I guess a lot of people have different reasons for doing what they do. I've since recovered, with the occasional urge here and there when I'm extremely upset or feeling like a loser. Luckily I haven't cut in a few years, probably since I was 28 like yourself. Sometimes I will want to strike myself as hard as I can with my fists or hands, but that usually causes no lasting damage, which I guess in my opinion is good. Would be better if I never had that urge to begin with, though.

I have not really had a true eating disorder, only through a medical condition. I know that there are a few people here who have struggled with EDs, though, and it sounds so tough. It almost sounds like an addiction if that makes any sense. I really do feel for you!

We have something in common with anxiety, though. I get it quite often, still. I wonder if you struggle with it the way I do. Sometimes I get so anxious that it turns into depression. Usually it's a fairly brief depression (a day or two), but it's pretty severe for the time it lasts. It's almost as though I suddenly become overwhelmed with anxiety and just... shut down. You know? It's like a rollercoaster, going really slowly up and up with anxiety until you peak and then crash down super fast into depression. At least, that's how it works with me.

Anyway, I'm willing to talk if you need. Do you ever feel as though you're angry at your body? It sounds like these things are ways you're trying to hurt your body. With not eating properly, or by self-harm, those are all very body-directed, you know? Have you ever spoken to a therapist or anyone like that? I think they may be able to help you change, whereas I can merely sympathize. But I DO sympathize, and I am so sorry this is happening to you. If there's any advice I can give that has helped me - but isn't intended to replace that of a professional - it's that you really have no reason to treat yourself worse than you would treat others. And I bet that you wouldn't starve or physically harm a friend of yours, or maybe not even your worst enemy. You deserve to be treated just as well as anyone else in the world.
    Thank you for replying. Yes I am in therapy. It seems like i've been in therapy forever. I think i've finally found a therapist who knows what they are talking about though. Learning to love myself has been another up hill battle. I'm also glad to hear you haven't cut in years! The urges can get to be too much to hold off so congrats on recovery! It's only a few times here and there for me and its definitely triggered by feeling inadequate or when i'm stressed. The eating disorder does create a high sometimes but as for it being a true addiction it has other factors but is definitely hard to shake. I want it to be gone from me. I'm finally at the point to wear i'm ready but stuck in it. Anxiety and depression don't help either.

Hello littlekorkor

I am on disability because of my anxiety and depression, so I can relate to some of the things you are saying. I too feel at times like the only thing I ever do is go to therapy sessions.

I just finished a group therapy on mindful eating. There is a good video on you tube the title of it is "why leaders eat last" and it talks about the chemicals in our brain and why and how they effect us. and that might be a good place to start.

I could start a thread in the group School house rocks ADISC on this if you think the information would be helpful.

Have the councilors taught you any coping mechanism?

If so are you practicing them?

There are some that work for me and it takes several attempts to get to the point where you feel them working.

One of the big ones I have used is to stop and reflect on a feeling that you have. At first I had to write everything down then go through and look at what is negative mind chatter and what is the "core belief". Then once you figure out the core belief, you either rephrase it to make it a positive belief, or you figure out a plan to change that into a positive belief.

I will warn you now. At first it will seem like all you do is the grounding or coping mechanisms, but with time it does help and you can do it faster.

Good luck and let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Egor

Hi littlekorkor. I've had similar problems when I was a lot younger, though depression still follows me. I spoke to my Dr. about it on Thursday. He suggested some medication, but I didn't want to start taking meds. I work with groups of people and I'm afraid it might affect my public speaking. My doctor was big and getting more exercise and I think I'm going to pursue that avenue. I need the extra physical activity anyway. My problem has been that while I know I have a number of things to do, I'll go to sleep instead. Some days are better than others, but some days seem pointless. It's something I have to fight.

I find that it's easy to offer advise, and a lot harder to put the advise into action, but it can be done. I always feel better if I'm doing things, or if I'm with people. It's the quiet times that can get to me. So my limited advise is to up your activity and be around people. It takes work and effort. I know.

I know what the problems are with eating disorders and medications for health disorders.

My doctor was big and getting more exercise.
    Doctors see more exercise as the answer to everything.
    But they will do nothing to help you get more exercise.

I have fibromyalgia/small fiber polyneuropathy on top of two autoimmune disorders and having a heart attack back in 2006 with bypass surgery.
    add on top of that a couple sleep disorders like sleep apnea and chronic Insomnia.

I exercise i hurt to the point i can not sleep.
    Not getting sleep only makes for more pain and its now a never ending circle and the VA doctors will not do anything to break the circle execpt to tell me i need more exercise.

Misatoismywaifu

Did you deploy or get blown up at all or did your body just give out after so much stress? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by littlekorkor View Post
    Hello all! I haven't been on here in a while. I've been pretty depressed lately. I just had another medication change so i'm playing it off as that. I'm trying to get over my eating disorder which i've had for a long time. Since I was 12 and am now 28. I suppose i'm just looking for others who are struggling with these issues and are within the community. I want to get better and I do have some amazing people helping me, but i'm still feeling alone in this battle. I'm also a cutter and have anxiety issues so all in all it gets pretty rough at times. Especially because society (particularly the VA) doesn't know how to handle my issues.

Hello littlekorkor. I myself have severe anxiety as well I think. The reason why I said I think is because I just happen to have extreme control over my emotions. Unfortunately as a result it's not obvious how much emotion I have to deal with on a regular basis. I can help you find some temporary relief quite possibly because I only just learned that I appear to have severe anxiety issues recently. You see it took my therapist years to see that was a problem simply because it's not immediately obvious how it was effecting me. I have a idea that will help when your feeling anxious. Whenever you feel anxious literally do anything that can distract you from those feelings. For me I simply go out and socialize in any way shape or form or just try anything that happens to be healthy and constructive at the time.(go to church and do volunteer work, bible study, theology discussion, or just go out to eat with someone from any social context) This does not necessarily have to involve exercise just any kind of social activity. I try to do so much all the time that I might very well technically have a behavior disorder that I just happen to turn into a asset unknowingly.

Now Maybe I am wrong and this will do you no good but it can do no harm to try. Please be advised as a recommendation since you have depression I would suggest activities that you normally don't want to do as far as socializing is concerned into a habit right on the spot because it will help you more then you can imagine. To put it into perspective if you look at my posts on other threads you will notice that I appear to not have depression and anxiety when nothing happens to be further from the truth. It my therapist years to find out that I probably do in fact have anxiety because it was never that obvious given the "poker face" I give to the world. It took years for my psychiatrist also to diagnose me with depression for the same reasons I think. I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Duality View Post
    Did you deploy or get blown up at all or did your body just give out after so much stress? Just wondering.
    No I didn't get blown up. I was on two deployments on aircraft carriers though. High Stress environment and afraid of making people angry or killing someone put me under a lot on anxiety and stress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by accepted View Post
    Hello littlekorkor. I myself have severe anxiety as well I think. The reason why I said I think is because I just happen to have extreme control over my emotions. Unfortunately as a result it's not obvious how much emotion I have to deal with on a regular basis. I can help you find some temporary relief quite possibly because I only just learned that I appear to have severe anxiety issues recently. You see it took my therapist years to see that was a problem simply because it's not immediately obvious how it was effecting me. I have a idea that will help when your feeling anxious. Whenever you feel anxious literally do anything that can distract you from those feelings. For me I simply go out and socialize in any way shape or form or just try anything that happens to be healthy and constructive at the time.(go to church and do volunteer work, bible study, theology discussion, or just go out to eat with someone from any social context) This does not necessarily have to involve exercise just any kind of social activity. I try to do so much all the time that I might very well technically have a behavior disorder that I just happen to turn into a asset unknowingly.

Now Maybe I am wrong and this will do you no good but it can do no harm to try. Please be advised as a recommendation since you have depression I would suggest activities that you normally don't want to do as far as socializing is concerned into a habit right on the spot because it will help you more then you can imagine. To put it into perspective if you look at my posts on other threads you will notice that I appear to not have depression and anxiety when nothing happens to be further from the truth. It my therapist years to find out that I probably do in fact have anxiety because it was never that obvious given the "poker face" I give to the world. It took years for my psychiatrist also to diagnose me with depression for the same reasons I think. I hope this helps!
    Thank you for the advice, and I can understand that distractions help. That's all I've done for years but it gets wrapped up in my mind and sends me to a panic attack. I can't explain it. It has also taken me a long to get a stable therapist and doctor. I'm in DBT group which offers a lot of skills that make sense and can help. I'm glad you have found something that helps you but I also have found being open and brutally honest with myself and my treatment team seems to work best. Also telling others how they have hurt me and opening up to how I feel with my loved ones has helped too. I tend to want to hold everything in and put myself down for getting upset when I should open up to that person and explain to them that how they treat me upsets me. It seems more of communication issue I have.

Each of us go through different reasons as to why we have anxiety and depression. With every different factor that can play into these issues it takes just as many skills to overcome them. Thanks for opening up and I will give it a try!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Hi littlekorkor. I've had similar problems when I was a lot younger, though depression still follows me. I spoke to my Dr. about it on Thursday. He suggested some medication, but I didn't want to start taking meds. I work with groups of people and I'm afraid it might affect my public speaking. My doctor was big and getting more exercise and I think I'm going to pursue that avenue. I need the extra physical activity anyway. My problem has been that while I know I have a number of things to do, I'll go to sleep instead. Some days are better than others, but some days seem pointless. It's something I have to fight.

I find that it's easy to offer advise, and a lot harder to put the advise into action, but it can be done. I always feel better if I'm doing things, or if I'm with people. It's the quiet times that can get to me. So my limited advise is to up your activity and be around people. It takes work and effort. I know.

Yes the work and effort do get hard. I can relate to when being alone too. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for your comments.

Misatoismywaifu

Well if you need someone to talk to just don't be afraid to PM me.