Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a pet bird?

Default Anyone have a pet bird?

Hey y'all!

I recently became the proud owner of a cockatiel...or, a cockatiel has recently become the proud owner of Kif!

Anyone else here have pet birds?

I've never had a pet bird before...I settled on a cockatiel because they were more quiet than other parrots, but also very snuggly and vocal. He loves to walk over my hands as I type...<3

If your talking about plane's that are called birds, then I have them but I see them all over my city ever since I moved so I technically consider them pre-owned.

Mrs. Maxx has cockatiels, although they decided they like me better. If you see typing errors in my posts, its often due to them. They'll dance on the keyboard if I don't pay enough attention to them.

I have a Quaker myself. Hand fed and raised him from 10 days old... 12 years ago. If you have the time to spend with them, birds are great pets. If you DON'T have time for them, don't get one. They are very social and need attention daily.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyCorry View Post
    I have a Quaker myself. Hand fed and raised him from 10 days old... 12 years ago. If you have the time to spend with them, birds are great pets. If you DON'T have time for them, don't get one. They are very social and need attention daily.
    Yep. If you can't let them out to be with you for a couple hours a day, you really shouldn't have them. At least as smart and demanding of attention as dogs. I mostly just let them out when I'm home. no need to keep track because they either sit on my shoulder or follow me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Yep. If you can't let them out to be with you for a couple hours a day, you really shouldn't have them. At least as smart and demanding of attention as dogs. I mostly just let them out when I'm home. no need to keep track because they either sit on my shoulder or follow me.
    Sounds like I'm on the right track there...the only time my 'tiel is in his cage when I'm home is if I'm cooking (open pots of boiling liquid and such).
    He gets several hours out of his cage every day, more on the weekends when I'm not working.

It's so cool to hear others here, like yourself, also have birds. Any other tips or funny stories?

I think the funniest thing I've found with my 'tiel so far is that he likes to eat stringy things...if his veggies are sliced this way, he finds them a little more appealing.

They like to drop things and watch them fall. Pens, pencils, coins, anything.

Don't leave glassware cabinets open. Our alpha male managed to destroy an entire set of very nice wine glasses over a period of months. I'd be doing dishes and open the cabinet to put something away, he'd dash in and push something off the top shelf.

I have a pewter mug full of pens on top of my computer desk. When he was younger, he liked to take the pens out one by one and drop them. One day he decided he was better than that and managed to push the entire mug off. The noise scared the crap out of both of us.

Watch your mice and other cables. He killed several of my mice... I had to put a new line cord on the microwave too. He and Mrs. Cockatiel were hiding back there nibbling on the insulation in between other hanky-panky. Fortunately, I discovered the damage before they electrocuted themselves or set the place on fire.

Turn your TV remotes upside down. They love nibbling on the soft rubber buttons.

They love grape nuts (cereal). and whatever else you're eating. Pizza, Egg-a-muff, pasta....

Broccoli. I've never met a bird who didn't love broccoli. Good for them too, as it is for you. Ours have also learned to like oranges and apples, although I'm told most don't.

A good source for all things cockatiel (not my site, but I've found it to be a reliable reference):

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    They love nibbling on the soft rubber buttons.
    and anything else like!
    we had one, years ago (seemed like a good idea in my pre-pubescent mind), but it wasn't a 'tame' (friendly) one and we ended up giving it to my uncle, who owned a pet-shop and had loads of critters running 'round his house.
    one thing i learned from my uncle is to never get a bird unless you're really committed; for such small-brains, they have very human-like mental issues.

strange dogs, strange cats, ferrets and birds: in my 'look, don't touch' category.

Cockatiels are a lot of fun. Some good friends of mine in college had a pair of cockatiels that were always let loose in the house when I stopped by. Watching movies or playing video games was a different experience with those two hopping and flying around.

My sister had parakeets when I was a kid, and I wasn't such a fan of those -- exceptionally noisy. Every home video from those days has incessant chirping in the background. I confess to watching with amusement as our big orange tabby cat jumped from the dining room table and grabbed onto the cage, tearing it out of the ceiling.

We have a rural house with some acreage now, and I've considered building an aviary for a raven. And, of course, it would have to be taught to say "never more."