Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why use the term 'onesie' for full body suits/pajamas?

Default Why use the term 'onesie' for full body suits/pajamas?

This is a question that really bothers me and confuses me. All my life full body pajamas has always been referred to as footed-sleepers or footie pajamas but a lot of people here and the general public call them Onesies.

Why do you call them Onesies? Whenever I see someone call them Onesies I get confused because I think of Onesies as the shirts with button snaps to hold up diapers for babies (or us).

I recently bought some Hello Kitty footed pajamas from JCP that were labled as onesie pajamas. They fit tight in the crotch like onesies should, and do not have the crotch at knee level like a lot of footed pajamas do. To call all footed pajamas onesies is doing the real onesies (pajamas or not) an injustice IMHO.

It is annoying but the general public have taken it and ran with it.

Quote Originally Posted by blondiewoof View Post
    I recently bought some Hello Kitty footed pajamas from JCP that were labled as onesie pajamas. They fit tight in the crotch like onesies should, and do not have the crotch at knee level like a lot of footed pajamas do. To call all footed pajamas onesies is doing the real onesies (pajamas or not) an injustice IMHO.
    i personally would have called this a footed onesie or a footed sleeper. I have a "onesie" but it really a purple sleeper with a low crotch. i hate that part of it but it keeps me warm at night so im not fussed. Also does anyone wear sleepers/ all in one pj's all year cause i used to at my old house but it was seriously cold there apart from maybe august.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMattyMoo View Post
    It is annoying but the general public have taken it and ran with it.
    your not wrong they have taken it too far and just ruined the actual purpose of a onesie of holding diapers in place but in the general publics eye they have to modify it ALOT to make it trendy like baggy clothes at one point used to be very popular. just an example. But if they did this with anything else that we can relate to i will probably be outraged. :/

Onesie is a Gerber product name that became largely synonymous with infant bodysuits in the US. It didn't have quite the hold elsewhere, so we see other uses for the name "onesie". The lack of clarity is irritating but I don't see it changing anytime soon. We just have to be sure what we're talking about when the subject arises.

Default Onsie -vs- Onesies®

Quote Originally Posted by LightYoshi View Post
    This is a question that really bothers me and confuses me. All my life full body pajamas has always been referred to as footed-sleepers or footie pajamas but a lot of people here and the general public call them Onesies.

Why do you call them Onesies? Whenever I see someone call them Onesies I get confused because I think of Onesies as the shirts with button snaps to hold up diapers for babies (or us).
    [Gerber] Onesies® brand one-piece underwear.

A Onesie History Lesson

Onesie - the name is aptly so. It provokes images of something that numbers in singularity. The onesie is a colloquial term for nightwear that is not separated into a top for the torso and a bottom for the limbs. It’s a full piece from head to toe.

History
    We seem to take nightwear for granted. Kids are thought to ‘get into their pyjamas’ and off to bed. The etymology of pyjamas is an interesting one and seems to originate from India or Persia; either way they share the same origin - Sanskrit. The traditional pyjama was an Indian concept that required adults and kids to get out of their day work and play clothes, then change into sleepwear so that the hygiene of the bed is kept intact.

The concept of night clothes gravitated from India in colonial times to Europe. When first arriving on the shores of Britain, the pyjama was a two-piece, soft trouser and top combination. In the winter it could be flannel; in the summer it was switched to something a little lighter.

Evolution
    As pyjamas caught on in popularity, it become an impetus for commercial endeavours which sought to develop variations of the pyjamas. So the onesies were born out of commerce and necessity. The term onesie is colloquial, as it represents that the garment is one piece, where the top half is joined to the bottom half.

Utility
    When the onesie caught on, people soon realized the best place for it was to replace the swaddle of an infant. The baby grew out of the safety of the swaddle and yearned for mobility and freedom; since two piece suits risked exposing the mid-section, the onesie was the perfect solution. A full body onesie would cover the neck and limbs all the way down to the ankles providing mobility, circulation and protection of the skin form bruises, cuts and bugs. Some even came with hoodies and booties to go along. That way it became a true head to toe solution. The only portion of the entire body that was then visible was the face. Babies, loved it.

Growing Up
    For the purpose of convenience and to access the trunk, a trap door was included that made diaper changes easy and quick. This design, quickly made its way through the ages, and soon included onesies for older kids, teenagers, then on to adults. The trap door managed to make it in to all the ages as well, for obvious reasons.

Blanket sleeper

The blanket sleeper (also known by many other synonyms and trade names) is a type of especially warm sleeping garment worn primarily during the winter in the United States and Canada. The garment is worn especially by infants and young children.

Typically, but not always, the blanket sleeper consists of a loose-fitting, one-piece garment of blanket-like material, enclosing the entire body except for the head and hands. It represents an intermediate step between regular pajamas, and bag-like coverings for infants such as buntings or infant sleeping bags (Terminology and Variations sections below). Like bag-like coverings, the blanket sleeper is designed to be sufficiently warm as to make regular blankets or other bed covers unnecessary, even in colder weather. Unlike such coverings, the blanket sleeper has bifurcated legs to allow unhindered walking (or crawling).

While no single feature is universal (see Terminology), distinguishing a blanket sleeper from regular pajamas usually include:

One-piece construction with long sleeves and legs.
    Attached bootees enclosing the wearer's feet.
    Composition from relatively thick, heavy fabric.

Although any sleeping garment with some or all of these characteristics could be called a blanket sleeper, the term is most commonly applied to a range of styles that deviate relatively little from the same basic design. (The features of this design are described in the Features section, below.)

Although widely thought of as something worn only by the very young, blanket sleepers are also sometimes worn (in decreasing order of frequency) by school-age children, teens, and even adults. (See Sizes, gender differences, and availability, below.)

Although footed, one-piece garments in a variety of fabrics and styles are used in many countries as infant sleepwear, the specific range of styles with which the term blanket sleeper is usually associated, the term itself, and the phenomenon of children older than infancy wearing footed, one-piece sleeping garments, are all largely unique to North America.
    So, the difference of a onesie, and the trademarked name of Onesies®... is a large part of the confusion...

Sleep well, sleep cozy,
    -Marka

I think most people know the difference between a onesie and a bodysuit whatever, but people LIKE to call things Onesies because it's "close enough" and also "cuter that way".

That's how I've always viewed it anyway.

Judging off previous post and other sources of research. Onesies appear to the name of a style of pajamas that vary based off the weather/season.

It's kind of like a brand name.

Fore me & my little, my pajamas are my sleeper, and all my snap shirts are onesies, or bodysuits. Sleepers are the only thing I can call them, it just fits with my little one... I am so confused! lol why does the world make these things so difficult!

Where I come from we call them Jumpers. But, I call them Onesies because I talk to a lot of Europeans who think the word jumper means sweater.