AB emotions vs. Adult emotions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanch

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Perhaps I'm alone in this, but one thing I've noticed is that my little side experiences emotions in a very different way to how I do as an adult. In my adult life, most of my emotions are quite complex and deep-seated, but they also feel quite measured and I'm generally able to appear level-headed, even if I'm especially excited or even upset about something.

However, as a little, I have absolutely no Poker Face. As Mama Snaps can attest to, if I'm tired or worried in little mode, I appear exactly that, and have no instinct or even ability to hide the emotion. It's the same if I'm excited or happy. My little's emotions also seem to be bold and simple - I'm gloriously happy because I have my Baby Stella with me, or I'm extremely sad because I'm struggling to clip the poppers on my onesie together.

Can anyone else relate to this? I know obviously we think and feel different things in Little headspace to during our adult time, but I'd say my cognitive process and reactions are way different when I'm regressed, up to the point where I feel like I'm operating a completely different brain to the one I have most of the time!

I know I experience emotions differently. My little side is much more exposed and vulnerable, while my adult side is pretty much a wall, except when it comes to "worry", I worry about things a lot for both my adult and little side, mostly I worry about finances and grades, but being little usually helps it all go away. I don't think my little side has a poker face, but my adult side, I think I don't need a poker face because I don't have much of a face, I feel like I have had to purge a lot of my emotion because It was a vulnerability that my Parents and a previous girl friend were able to take advantage of.

I know I would if I allowed myself to be safe going that far.

I pretty much do experience this feeling.. and honestly more. Lots of times when I'm getting into that specific Little space, I feel like not only am I no longer even internally holding back any emotional reaction.. but I'm no longer holding back much of anything! I crave that feeling of truly being... of turning off all the walls in my brain and reaching that point to where I'm just me.

EDIT: I wanted to um.. clarify that I'm really not the type to separate my kid self and my adult self, I don't really do the "sides" thing. I just.. sometimes you kinda get bogged down with the feeling of being an adult, and all your inhibitions, worries, and all.. and sometimes really just thinking about who I want to be, my inner heart, and just really get in that.. "I'm a little girl inside, a little." kinda help me get in the right mindset and the right stuff. Regressing I guess, but my regressing feels kinda different then some of the stuff I see people talking about. It's just a time where I'm letting all this out and not caring who sees. Well.. because I only do it in private with people I trust anyway.

Last edited:
If I'm home and with just my wife, I find the two can merge. I may act more adult to one thing, and then more like a child to something else, depending how it hits me. If I'm at work, I'm adult in my responses. Same for out in public. Needless to say, I'd rather be home and let what happens, happen.

Most of the time I can keep my feelings separate. It's hard sometimes, but if I'm in public it's very do-able to shove those thoughts away with the reminder that people are around. If I'm alone or with someone I trust though, my thoughts and feelings bounce back and forth pretty sporadically. One thing I'm still not sure about is my reaction of crying about certain things. I hardly ever cry if I get physically hurt, even in a little mindset. However, if I'm trying to talk to someone and I'm nervous, or if someone is angry at me or disappointed in me, I find it very hard to keep tears back. It was that way all throughout high school. If I had to talk to a teacher about make-up work or a test or something, I always ended up crying even when they weren't upset with me and were friendly about it. I don't mean like sobbing, just a waterfall of tears. I'm sure they all thought something was wrong with me. It wasn't even that I was upset about anything, I just couldn't help it. I still have yet to figure out if it's just my little side being nervous and refusing to cooperate or if I really just don't like talking to people that much.

As a DL reading your stories, it seems so foreign to me. Interesting though.

Yep, same here. My adult side hides emotions well. I can be quite depressed yet on the outside put on a happy face and act the part that's needed. However when regressed my emotions are raw and natural and easily show. But I am very guarded as to when and where I let my inner child out to play. But yea, I agree with it being like having to minds (one a toddler and one a adult).

My adult emotions are mostly separated from my little emotions. My adult self shows very little to no emotions at all but my little self show emotions very easily and they are plenty.
The only time where they cross is the emotions I show to my plushies. My adult self and little self show the same love to them.

SirNapsALot said:
Perhaps I'm alone in this, but one thing I've noticed is that my little side experiences emotions in a very different way to how I do as an adult. In my adult life, most of my emotions are quite complex and deep-seated, but they also feel quite measured and I'm generally able to appear level-headed, even if I'm especially excited or even upset about something.

However, as a little, I have absolutely no Poker Face. As Mama Snaps can attest to, if I'm tired or worried in little mode, I appear exactly that, and have no instinct or even ability to hide the emotion. It's the same if I'm excited or happy. My little's emotions also seem to be bold and simple - I'm gloriously happy because I have my Baby Stella with me, or I'm extremely sad because I'm struggling to clip the poppers on my onesie together.

Can anyone else relate to this? I know obviously we think and feel different things in Little headspace to during our adult time, but I'd say my cognitive process and reactions are way different when I'm regressed, up to the point where I feel like I'm operating a completely different brain to the one I have most of the time!

I know exactly what you mean. I've always had a... "mild" (is that the right word?) "little" side since I was er... little.

I never experienced any obviously major "psychological trauma" as a kid, but, for some reason I was always a bit of an anxious outside over-achiever/perfectionist/introverted/worrier...

I never realised at the time, but looking back my parents were quite anxious people. We were a very close, loving family... but no one ever faced up to any negative emotion. We just grinned and... To speak of any negativity was completely taboo. I didn't even realised that the warm, loving, altruistic parents I (still) idolise had, in some way, brought me up to suppress negative emotions.

My therapist introduced me to the concept of psychological "splitting". It's hard to explain in a nutshell, but essentially it's where some thoughts are suppressed and "split" into a black-and-white compartmentalisation of emotion. So, for me (with anxious parents who became distressed if I showed any negative emotions), I realised that I needed to be calm, calculated and very reserved in my behaviour. I split off my repertoire of natural emotions into "acceptable" (adult) and "unacceptable" (childish), and locked the childish ones away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_(psychology)

As a result, I became very "mature" for my age. I was used to talking with adults on their level, and behaving with the same degree of politeness and civility in social situations as they did. When I started school, I would play games with the dinner ladies and teachers at playtime more often than I played with other kids... But if ever we were playing "house", I always wanted to be the baby! :sweatdrop:

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that, from a very early age, I learned not only what was (and wasn't) considered acceptable behaviour (according to my parents), but also what constituted acceptable emotions. I didn't feel like I was permitted to even admit to having negative emotions. I assumed this was just "normal" -- how everyone had to be.

Despite being able to vaguely articulate it, my beliefs about showing (or recognising, or thinking about) emotions are still deeply entrenched in my behaviour. I still feel the need to split the "innocent", lost wholeness of childhood from the illusory façade of the perfectly-in-control adult that I was expected to be (even as a child).

So... I have the ability to be professional; cool, calm and collected (adult) on the outside... But those suppressed emotions have to come out somehow... and maybe being AB/DL is just my way of coping with it. In "little mode", I give myself the permission (which I never had as a child) to put down my guard; to lose my poker-face, and just experience life purely, sincerely and honestly.

Arietta said:
Lots of times when I'm getting into that specific Little space, I feel like not only am I no longer even internally holding back any emotional reaction.. but I'm no longer holding back much of anything! I crave that feeling of truly being... of turning off all the walls in my brain and reaching that point to where I'm just me.

:smile: I so get that! For me, it's the opportunity to tear down the psychological "splitting"; the "Berlin Wall" that divides emotions into "okay" and "not okay in public".

These are some great articles about dissociation... and (interestingly) how splitting is an important and natural part in the development of children's minds as they accumulate new knowledge and have to rebuild their conceptual model of reality to ensure logical coherency.
http://www.hiddenhurt.co.uk/dissociation.html
http://www.acat.me.uk/reformulation.php?issue_id=15&article_id=116

Arietta said:
EDIT: I wanted to um.. clarify that I'm really not the type to separate my kid self and my adult self, I don't really do the "sides" thing. I just.. sometimes you kinda get bogged down with the feeling of being an adult, and all your inhibitions, worries, and all.. and sometimes really just thinking about who I want to be, my inner heart, and just really get in that... [Regression is] just a time where I'm letting all this out and not caring who sees.

I totally get that. I've always been confused as to where I lay on the AB-DL spectrum, as it were, because this is almost entirely an "emotional" thing for me as opposed to a sexual fetish. But, I don't really do the role-playing, dressing up, using-anything-babyish-other-than-a-diaper thing either. My "little side" isn't an alter-ego... I try hard to integrate my childish/emotional/idealist thoughts with my adult/rational/nihilistic ones.

But I don't care about labels, or what my own brand of AB/DL/Littleness is called... In the end, as you rightly say, it's all about finding yourself and recognising your "inner heart" and accepting every emotion spontaneously, without the anticipatory fear that you might be breaking some adult social taboo. (*Tiny breaks into song*: "I am what I aaam, and what I am needs no excuseees!")

If you've read this this far (anyone? seriously? let me shake your hand!), you HAVE to read this wonderful blog on dissociation and regression:
https://handstitchedfamily.wordpress.com/2013/04/28/dissociation-and-regression/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back