P&G venturing into the adult diaper market

Status
Not open for further replies.
binkey said:
Honeywell wrote:

>> ]I remember the original Attends with the micro-pore lining. I thought they were horrible. <<

I agree with you, Honeywell. The micropore liner was exceptionally hot, sweat producing, and when wet they started to feel like I was wearing sandpaper lined diapers!

>> The ones with the three blue tapes on each side were better, but they had that "nursing home" scent, which was far different from Pampers at that time. I like today's Abena's better than I like the old 3-tape on each side Attends. <<

The 3 tape diaper was significantly more comfortable, but they lacked absorbency for IC folks like me. They seemed to be cut generously, and the liner was VERY soft, both great improvements, but lacked enough sucking power.

I wonder if those folks praising the 6 tape diapers are just too young to have ever worn the micropore plastic sheet lined style. Those diapers were much better than either modern Depends or the older sick-green Depends. Some of us here started wearing Curity 21 x 40 cotton diapers and Gerbers Toddler Large pull-on plastic panties over them...

My best to all,

Binkey

I used to wear the Curity 21 x 40 gauze flats, they were good. But they never compared to the gauze twill-weave pre-fold diapers we have today. I see the Curities on EBay going for outlandish prices, and it's hard for me to believe that people pay that much for them. I guess there's a good number of old grandpas who want to bring back memories of "younger days".

And yes, you are so RIGHT about those Attends with the micro-pore lining. In fact, P&G tried a short-lived experiment with their Pampers, using that exact same lining, as per this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyBF7v2xai0 . I once purchased a whole case of Attends that were made like that, but had to toss them out because they were so uncomfortable. If you look 29 seconds into the video, you will see a close-up of what the old Attends lining really looked like. This is what many nursing home residents had to wear back in the day. One would think that if P&G took that feature out of their Pampers in haste, they would do the same with Attends. But the design lived on for at least another two decades before it was finally retired by PaperPak (now Attends Healthcare Products, owned by Domtar).

As for the original 3-tape Attends: Curity made an adult diaper that was far better than those. Better absorbency, far more comfortable, and even thicker than the Attends. Johnson & Johnson also made a line of adult diapers, but I never tried them. I assume that they were also very thick and comfortable, as were other products made in the late 1980's and early 1990's. People know plenty about Attends and Depends, but nothing about other offerings that were far superior than those two brands.

Honeywell6180 said:
As for the original 3-tape Attends: Curity made an adult diaper that was far better than those. Better absorbency, far more comfortable, and even thicker than the Attends. Johnson & Johnson also made a line of adult diapers, but I never tried them. I assume that they were also very thick and comfortable, as were other products made in the late 1980's and early 1990's. People know plenty about Attends and Depends, but nothing about other offerings that were far superior than those two brands.

I wore plenty of diapers back in the 80's. Surecare, Ambeze, Curity and Tranquility diapers were around. I always remember the Attends with the micro pore lining as the two tape version. Yes, it was very uncomfortable. However, by the 90's you could buy the three tape Attends in Pharmacies all over the U.S. I agree they weren't the best diaper, but better than any other diaper you could buy at a brick and mortar store.

Today's adult diapers are so much better in fit, look and absorbency, but you will not find them in the store. For those of us that are IC, store bought diapers are crap and Kimberly-Clark has cornered the market on discreet pull-ups made for dribblers. I somehow doubt P&G will make something better.

You are very much right about the brick and mortar pharmacies. Attends were the best you could get at a drug store, and that's the truth. To get anything better, you had to go to a distributor. And yes, it is true that the only products available at retail stores are for people with very light control issues. Anything more, and it has to be purchased online and delivered.

Never had the chance to try an attend before... I live in Canada, didn't know they existed, eh?

MellowYellow said:
Never had the chance to try an attend before... I live in Canada, didn't know they existed, eh?
These days, they aren't worth the hassle, they are pretty terrible today. The only one that is half decent is their "Extended Wear" brief. They made as expensive as some premium diapers but they don't quite make up for it on performance. They have no leak guards and just like the others they clump up.

If you're like some of us that have to try every diaper that's out there, it's still an adventure to try them out. Just don't expect something good.

Im sure P and G made this announcement in regards to future market trends. With te increase in retirees Im sure they want to carve off a slice for their own. Perhaps theyre looking at growth in the premium adult diaper market and are looking at that route rather than another cheap pull up. At least one can hope-at the very least, look at how Japan has embraced the adult diaper market. Heres hoping we get a better option (the tabbed premium adult diaper) rather than another sub par pull up with underwear markings.

What does that "nursing home smell" even smell like in a diaper? I'm curious.

SnowPrincessLily said:

This made me laugh...I'm guessing its a jokey reference to legendary baby sweet freshness scent. If you're wondrin actually I went on ABUniverse to check the name of afore mentioned scent and they no longer offer it, that's why I may have the name wrong. BMS

P&G make everything

SnowPrincessLily said:

The scent I was describing is that of some chemicals used in the janitorial and institutional cleaning industries. It was definitely NOT the scent they use in today's Luvs, for example. If you could walk into a nursing home back in the mid 1980's, that's similar to what Attends smelled like. It was nothing like Pampers. I am sure there are plenty of older folks who really want to believe differently. It's sad, because the truth can often hurt.

Well if P&G ever make a diaper like the old school Attends, I'll probably keep a couple cases on hand.

Now if we could just get someone to make a diaper that fits me like the current 6 tape Attends, has an absorbent core like Dry 24/7, the plastic cover of a Bambino, and the tape zone of a Tena Slip Maxi...

:cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back