Thread: Bambino Classico Review

Default Bambino Classico Review

The Bambino Classico is perhaps the most storied of printed ABDL disposable diapers available today. Its original release dates back to 2007, and was one of the first widely-available ABDL disposable diapers. Since then it has gone through several revisions and given rise to versions of the same physical diaper but with different prints, the Bianco and the Teddy. The last such changes happened in the second half of 2014, following an incident where a batch of the previous version was manufactured with the print upside down.

I am reviewing the medium size Bambino Classico as shipped in November 2014. The medium size is listed as fitting waists of 32"-44", the large size is listed as fitting 45"-60", and the extra-large size is listed as fitting 59"-65".

Appearance, Size, and Features

The Bambino Classico has a printed front landing zone with a baby block pattern that repeatedly spells the word "BABY", and is otherwise solid white. The pattern is made of 4 pastel colors. I've found that depending on the version over the years, the flatness or brightness of the colors used in Bambino prints has varied quite a bit, and in this version, the color is very bright.

Front and Back of Folded Diaper, Respectively

The Classico is the essentially the same diaper as the Bambino Bianco and Teddy, but with a different print. The Bianco is an all-white version with no print, and the Teddy has a repeated Teddy Bear print.

Old Bambino Teddy, New Bambino Classico, and Old Bambino Bianco

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other and placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 diapers had a height of approximately 9.6 cm (3.2 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 3.2 cm (1.3 in).

3 Diapers Stacked

The Bambino Classico uses the conventional double tape design seen on most adult diapers. The tapes have a blue tip without adhesive to pull on. Bambino advertises their tapes as being refastenable, but I have never had much luck with getting them to stick well on a second try. They are fairly typical tapes for diapers using adhesive tapes on a landing zone.

The Tapes

One of the most notable changes in this batch is the plastic backing. It is noticeably thicker and more rigid than on previous Bambino diapers, and feels very smooth with an oily-like texture. I can immediately tell the difference between this version of the Classico and remaining diapers that I have from prior orders by touch. It crinkles a bit, but is not notably crinkly.

The inside of the diaper is all white, and the padding is arranged in an hourglass shape that is wider in the back than the front. The padding is soft, and seems a bit less fluffy than the previous version. The diaper has standing leak guards and an elastic waistband in the front and back

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

With the diaper outstretched, it measures 69 cm (27.0 in) in length, 64 cm (25.0 in) in width at the wings, 32 cm (12.8 in) in width at the center, and 23 cm (9.0 in) in width between the leak guards.

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this diaper quantitatively, I ran a test to simulate use. I put a diaper on and then repeatedly poured water into the front of it in 100 mL increments and sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the diaper a chance to absorb the liquid, pace the process, and see if it would leak when sitting. After 1200 mL of water, I noticed wetness around the leg cuffs. At 1500 mL of water, the diaper began to leak on my chair, and I ended the test.

I was a bit surprised by this test as I had tested a previous version of the Bambino Teddy last year to hold several hundred more milliliters. My gut impression is that this diaper does not seem to wick as well as previous Bambino diapers that I have used. By the last few increments, I felt like I was sitting in a puddle, and that puddle wasn't changing much as I waited.

The diaper felt like it was swelling about as much as other "premium" diapers that I have tried. After the test, I measured it and it had expanded to roughly 8.8 cm (3.5 in), about 2.5x its original size.

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

To gather qualitative data for this review, I put on a fresh diaper and wore it while going about ordinary activities. The diaper lasted a total of 3.5 hours, during which time I had about 3 large wetting and some minor wettings, but did not flood it. I had more liquid intake than usual during this period – a large coffee and several glasses of water, which I felt contributed to how quickly I used the diaper. I am used to wearing a Bambino diaper for several more hours than this, and I would guess that 5-6 hours has been more typical.

I have a 36" waist which puts me squarely within the size range for the medium, and there is no question that this is the right size for me. I have tried samples of previous versions of large Bambino diapers in the past and concluded that they were too large to get a good seal at the legs. Bambino diapers have always fit a bit shorter on me than other brands, and while this version is similarly shorter, I feel like the top of the diaper seals a bit better than in past versions. I'm not sure if this is from any intentional change or just a function of the more rigid plastic backing.

The tapes stuck okay, and I find there is an improvement over previous versions. Whereas I have typically had problems with tapes on Bambino diapers sliding over time in the past, I have not really noticed that on this version over the past month. Now, these tapes are still more liable to move than those on diapers with tapes that are not designed to be refastened, but the improvement is noticeable and very welcome.

Price and Final Thoughts

I purchased these diapers from at 68.86 USD for a case of 48, including shipping to the US. This comes to $1.43/diaper. This price is in line with other high-end, "premium" adult diapers, and compares favorably to other ABDL-specific diapers.

I've seen mixed opinions in the ABDL community regarding this run of Bambino diapers. Personally, I found that the capacity and wicking may have declined a bit but other features of the diaper, particularly the tapes, improved. I think it's a bit of a wash, though I would consider the loss of capacity or effective capacity to be modestly more important than the other factors.

For an ABDL-specific diaper with the capacity and features of a "premium" diaper adult diaper, it's always been remarkable that the price is not markedly higher than non-ABDL "premium" diapers. Other ABDL brands have not yet achieved this feat. As the options have expanded, there are now ABDL diapers that top the basic Bambino diapers for capacity, realism of print, and other features, but none which can do all of those things and come close in price. With this iteration, the Bambino Classico and its Bianco and Teddy siblings retain their long-held perch as the benchmark ABDL diaper.
    Last edited by Fruitkitty; 22-Mar-2015 at 19:38.

I had a lower tape come completely off the diaper. The other 3 tapes held just fine.