Dependeco Cloth Diaper Velcro

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pulluplover

Just got my first cloth diaper, a My Little Pony Dependeco. No chance to wear yet really, have to wait until no one is around. But what I don't like is the white velcro strips go all across the front, and while the tabs have the same theme on them there was still quite a bit of white strip left, not attractive. I got the right size, so I am sure of that. Anyone try wearing them backwards to avoid the ugly white showing? Just curious, did not have a chance to try yet.

I can't imagine that it would be very easy to put on backwards. If you wear a shirt that is long enough, you will only see the lower end of your cloth diaper. I personally appreciate having that length of velcro just because I know it has plenty of room to adjust, but I can see why it bothers you.

- - - Updated - - -

you might also be able to email dependeco back and ask if you can replace it with a pullup version instead. If you haven't worn the diaper she/Monica will usually take it back. Then you can ask for the pullup style instead. She is a pretty awesome business person.

I've been wearing mine now for a little over two years. When I adjust mine after I've put one on
the gap in the tapes is usually less than a half inch.

If it's any consolation, pretty much all of the hook-and-loop/Velcro-closure AIOs for babies have this "problem." If the tapes don't meet in front (and they often won't), you'll see the band of "loop" stuff. Check out pictures of the infinitely popular Bum Genius and Thirsties AIOs/covers.

There are snap-closure AIOs, of course, but snaps are a bit finicky and fiddly.

Trying out around the house for real now. Once you tighten up the gap does get better, but still there. I assume you want cloth pretty darn tight?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so I tried it on backwards, and certainly the fit is a bit different, but it was not terrible to get tight with the velcro. I am sure tapes would be hell like that! Much cuter without any white velcro showing. Absorbent pad is higher on the front, but when you wear backwards the positioning ends up the exact same as the rear rides higher on your front. I am thinking its workable for a cuter front look. Going to try out more later after a shower. Will have to wait awhile for real testing since I cant pre-wash it now....

One last question, are plastic pants 100% essential when wearing cloth in public? Or is that more a night time need?

Plastic pants just acts as an extra barrier preventing moisture escaping.

You should wash the diaper several times before you do that. They will become more absorbent and fluffy, making a more functional diaper. Remember no bleach out fabric softener.

Pulluplover said:
Trying out around the house for real now. Once you tighten up the gap does get better, but still there. I assume you want cloth pretty darn tight?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so I tried it on backwards, and certainly the fit is a bit different, but it was not terrible to get tight with the velcro. I am sure tapes would be hell like that! Much cuter without any white velcro showing. Absorbent pad is higher on the front, but when you wear backwards the positioning ends up the exact same as the rear rides higher on your front. I am thinking its workable for a cuter front look. Going to try out more later after a shower. Will have to wait awhile for real testing since I cant pre-wash it now....

One last question, are plastic pants 100% essential when wearing cloth in public? Or is that more a night time need?

You can wear plastic or PUL pants with them out in public for leak protection. I find that wearing the booster pads that Monika
sells does a better job for leak protection. I've used mine for over a year for overnight wear with no leaks. You'll find that the
outer cover does get a little damp.

How does a cloth diaper with plastic pants work on a long drive? Have one tomorrow and was thinking of wearing on the drive for the first time. About 6hrs

I think I would go with a disposable diaper on a long drive. Changing would be easier plus you can get rid of it.
Storing a wet cloth diaper in a plastic bag could be a problem if it's longer than a day or two.

oleman72 said:
I think I would go with a disposable diaper on a long drive. Changing would be easier plus you can get rid of it.
Storing a wet cloth diaper in a plastic bag could be a problem if it's longer than a day or two.
Deffo , As it would be eye watering when you take it out the bag

Even for a 3-hr trip from home to my gm’s where we are set up for diaper changes both places cloth diapers are not real convenient. When we get there I am always ready for a change and usually have to do that right away. My tena pull-ups are much easier to deal with and if we stop at a rest area along the way there are always facilities to change and get rid of the used diaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back