Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disposable Diapers or cloth Training Pants?

Default Disposable Diapers or cloth Training Pants?

What would be the more economical option?

Would it be better for me to get a couple of Baby-pants cloth Training Pants or just invest in a case of ATNs?

Those training pants aren't waterproof, do you plan on using them?

Yes. That was the plan. I go through about 1-3 diapers per day.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicZelda View Post
    What would be the more economical option?

Would it be better for me to get a couple of Baby-pants cloth Training Pants or just invest in a case of ATNs?
    Avoid the cloth training pants, they are meant for small dribbles, so that children feel being wet. That's why they are called training pants. They aren't meant to hold anything.

If you want economical, you should try cloth diapers. They are expensive short term but will party for themselves later.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicZelda View Post
    What would be the more economical option? Would it be better for me to get a couple of Baby-pants cloth Training Pants or just invest in a case of ATNs?
    Cloth diapers are often more economical in the long term, but the up-front investment can be pretty steep, depending on how often you're wearing and how often you're willing to do laundry. If you're wearing every day and all day long, I'd suggest you buy 3-4 days worth of diapers and get a diaper pail so that you only have to wash your diapers every 3 days or so. Of course, this many diapers ain't cheap, but then you'll be doing diaper laundry less frequently (= savings on your energy/water bills), and your diapers will be seeing less wear-and-tear (= replacing them less often). You'll need a few pairs of plastic pants, too, because...

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    Those training pants aren't waterproof, do you plan on using them?
    ...what MeTaLMaNN said. They're all cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by FootiePJ View Post
    Avoid the cloth training pants, they are meant for small dribbles, so that children feel being wet. That's why they are called training pants. They aren't meant to hold anything.
    In general that's true, but the Baby Pants "My First" training pants are thick enough and absorbent enough that I'd call them pull-on diapers. In fact, I enjoy wearing mine with plastic pants and using them just as I would my prefolds and other cloth diapers. They work very well. I find that I can get two normal-sized wettings into my XL training pants before I need a change, which is pretty good for such a trim-fitting and comfy cloth diaper (I do feel the urge to waddle a bit when wearing them, but it isn't strictly required. ). The center panel of the My First training pants is most of an inch thick when fully prepped, which is crazy! They take about an hour to dry in my dryer, which is on par with my 10-ply prefolds.

EDIT: But if you're serious about going cloth, you'll want to try a few different diapers before you cut loose with hundreds of $$ to get yourself a full stash. Training pants aren't the most obvious choice, and you may find other styles that you like and that provide better performance. Or that are more convenient. You'll also want to go through scenarios like: What happens if you need to change when you're away from home? Will a pull-on diaper be ok? (Can't really change a pull-on cloth trainer without totally stripping your bottom half -- not always easy to do in a restroom stall!) Are you prepared to carry around a bag with your own urine-soaked diapers until you get home? If not, some half-cloth, half-disposable routine may be a good halfway point between long-term economy and convenience. Lots to think about!

That's another reason why I don't understand the whole pullup trend. They are so inconvenient. You have to completely strip down to bare feet. Just to get the next one on.

BordercollieTrigger

I know now what mean need strip down to get pull ups on now found out actual diapees more convenient.

I may be new to cloth diapers but don't they start to stink if you don't at least wash them within a day after using them? I own 3 dependico AIO's. I only wear when I am home so I don't go through a lot of them but I try to wash them as soon as I have two ready to wash. Knock on wood mine don't leak yet and I don't use a plastic cover for them.