Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox Live and PSN Hacked

Misatoismywaifu

Oh shit, I was not paying attention, I was actually hacked myself today so I did not read this...*ahem*

Ddos is booting someone offline (Not a hack)

Hack is doing critical damage to systems (Or accounts IE: Hack)

In this case, they Ddos all the players of PSN and Xbox so we could not play online games at all, they does not physically mean we were hacked. *sigh* I wish people would know the real definition of a hack, when there is spam on a server, people will automatically say,

"IT'S A HACK!" ...No, it's not.

As others have said, while a DDOS is certainly an attack, and an increasingly common one, it's much lower on the severity rung and requires very little skill to pull off (though building a sizable botnet to knock out a big target does require effort).

The biggest difference as an end user is that nothing has been compromised with regards to personal information or account details. Nothing has been "stolen". The only impact should be that the service is unavailable or slow.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    As others have said, while a DDOS is certainly an attack, and an increasingly common one, it's much lower on the severity rung and requires very little skill to pull off (though building a sizable botnet to knock out a big target does require effort).

The biggest difference as an end user is that nothing has been compromised with regards to personal information or account details. Nothing has been "stolen". The only impact should be that the service is unavailable or slow.
    my older brother is calling it a "hack" when i'm just saying its a DDOS attack. both are attacks against the service but I don't feel DDOS is a "hack".

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    my older brother is calling it a "hack" when i'm just saying its a DDOS attack. both are attacks against the service but I don't feel DDOS is a "hack".
    It's kind of a hard thing to argue either way. The meanings of the word hack and hacker has evolved quite a bit and varies greatly depending on context and who's using it.

Mainstream media tends to think of a hack or hacker as just anything malicious and/or computer related. Hacker culture tends to think of it as being clever or unconventional. Some feel it encompasses malicious and non-malicious hackery, others feel malicious hackery is a violation of the hacker spirit. There was an attempt by some to get people to use the word "cracker" instead of hacker when referring to malicious hacking, but it never caught on. There are still people beating that dead horse (generally the same people trying to get people to mention GNU when refering to Linux) but imo that ship sailed a long time ago. There is also recently some mainstream use of hacker/hack in a non-malicious sense, "life hacks" being a good example.

Basically the terminology around hack/hacker is completely screwed up at this point. Personally I never got too hung up on it, but it's a major sore spot for quite a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Basically the terminology around hack/hacker is completely screwed up at this point. Personally I never got too hung up on it, but it's a major sore spot for quite a few people.
    My own peeve is when ads tell customers to "log on to" their websites (where "visit" would be correct). But, of course, "log on" sounds cooler and geekier, so... And then they exacerbate matters by giving their URL as h-t-t-p-colon-forward slash-forward slash-...etc., as if one even needs to type that stuff anymore. Ugh.

Anyway.

Looks like PSN in finally back up. That said, I've never found "up" and "down" to be all that different with PSN; the service is perpetually flaky. Seemingly half the time I try to connect, I get some sort of error code. Fortunately for me, I haven't really taken a liking to many online titles, but I do have a few mostly-offline titles that insist on a connection anyway, and are utterly unplayable when they can't connect. Perhaps situations like this Christmas's outage will convince developers and Sony that requiring connections is a bad idea. I've always hated stuff that did that.

Yeah but the sad thing is for Xbox Live, servers are a bit glitchy until things are at full efficiency because now sometimes you will automatically get disconnected from Xbox Live and no, it's not my shitty internet because they already announced that everyone (now some) would be at moderate and this issue would still occur.

I was kicked off line when the DDOS attack happened. Does anyone belive that the "Lizard Squad" really did the attack or are they just trying to take credit for it.

It pisses me off when people do attacks like this with no valid reason at all. Like what the hell did the gamers do to deserve that.

One last note as many of you have already pointed out a DDOS is not a hack but an attack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forum Fiend v1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    I was kicked off line when the DDOS attack happened. Does anyone belive that the "Lizard Squad" really did the attack or are they just trying to take credit for it.
    Yeah, lizard squad is responsible for it.