Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astigmatism even worth getting glasses for???

Question Astigmatism even worth getting glasses for???

Okay so I figured it's end of year, I have coverage - I might as well get checked....Especially since I had trouble with the drivers liscence vision tests at the last 3 lines they check with the flip-machine (I wasn't expecting that to come up as an issue at all).

The optometrist (or whatever her title is) said I have a really mild astigmatism...

-0.25 160
    -0.25 030

They found this with 20/20 vision otherwise, but they are more concerned with sending me for tests to see about glaucoma randomly, after she checked my eyes and found enlarged something-or-other. That's for another day, but I was wondering if the .25 (being the smallest I seem to find) is even worth doing? I mean, it's going to cost me 0 zip nada...it's covered. It's through group coverage at work which may lay us off soon for all I know, so it won't increase my costs or go up or anything (and it's company paid anyway so if it did, that's their problem, )...But if it's worth doing (for computer or reading and that), then I kind of can't procrastinate. If it's too small to matter no problem, but if it'd help me at all then I kind of have a small window just in case of a layoff - then coverage goes bye-bye :P lol (not to put it too babyish-like ironically, lol). The other issue seems to be a bigger one, but I won't know that immediately and it won't impact this claim specifically. So I'm just asking opinions - never expected to have anything, was just checking since coverage may be gone soon and I hadn't checked my eyes in years. Kind of quit reading manga because of strain couple years ago, but wonder if it's even related or not... Could have just been my OCD going over the top with too much detail to follow and see for all I know, lol.

I have -.75 in my left eye and -.50 in my right eye... with astigmatism I get migraines when wearing glasses... even with a glare coating.

But meanwhile in reply to your question, I would get glasses as a back up plan if it's covered. Then you go read some mangas lol.

I've been wearing glasses for astigmatism since I was 24, I'm 55 now, and have added a progressive bifocal script to them for the last decade. It is a simple thing, I see well with my glasses and poorly without them, a minor inconvenience for good vision.

Ditto here. I paid the ridiculously high price to get graduated bifocals, tinted and correction for astigmatism. It took me a while to get used to them, but they help me with reading the newspaper, etc. I'm slightly far sighted, so I don't wear glasses other than to read.

as the old saying goes use it or lose it. that is in regards to your medical coverage use all the benefits you can before the company yanks it. I have that too and I can see ok just need the glasses to "focus" the issue . Get er done !

Quote Originally Posted by ceary View Post
    I have -.75 in my left eye and -.50 in my right eye... with astigmatism I get migraines when wearing glasses... even with a glare coating.

But meanwhile in reply to your question, I would get glasses as a back up plan if it's covered. Then you go read some mangas lol.
    You also only have a mild astigmatism? Or is there more to it... Just saying the numbers are only -0.25 for me, that's why I was wondering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xpluswearer View Post
    as the old saying goes use it or lose it. that is in regards to your medical coverage use all the benefits you can before the company yanks it. I have that too and I can see ok just need the glasses to "focus" the issue . Get er done !
    I see, (pun intended )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Ditto here. I paid the ridiculously high price to get graduated bifocals, tinted and correction for astigmatism. It took me a while to get used to them, but they help me with reading the newspaper, etc. I'm slightly far sighted, so I don't wear glasses other than to read.
    For me it is only an astigmatism, and a minor one... But I do genealogy and and look long times at those documents, and reading manga again without the strain would be nice...So maybe for specific situations it would probably help reduce the strain on me... Just wondered if anyone else gets the prescription for astigmatism solely?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    I've been wearing glasses for astigmatism since I was 24, I'm 55 now, and have added a progressive bifocal script to them for the last decade. It is a simple thing, I see well with my glasses and poorly without them, a minor inconvenience for good vision.
    So you were prescribed for only an astigmatism by itself and the bifocals came later? Just never had a prescription before, is all.

I'd get them. It sounds like you have a few vision/eye strain related complaints, and so glasses might help - even if you don't need them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Plushie View Post
    -0.25 160
    -0.25 030

They found this with 20/20 vision otherwise
    It's not that much, yes, and it's natural that they are worried about a glaucoma if you have some signs. So it's a good decision getting that checked.

Anyway, 20/20 vision... so no lens strength at all, then it's your choice as already mentioned; up to 0.5 it's considered normal, just not ideal. Since you have to pay nothing I think it would be a good idea however to test them.

I've got -0.5 130 on my left eye, besides some high lens strength in general. But the Astigmatism is the most annoying thing if I wouldn't even need glasses for reading a book or anything similar. It's a awkward feeling after a while like my right eye is trying to focus much more, probably due to the distortion from the astigmatism in the left one. And otherwise I'm getting a headache after a while. That's the most common symptom, if you're getting a headache or feel like your eyes are burning after reading a while, then you've found the fault now.

Just a small tip, if you feel like it's worse with the glasses, then let your vision get checked again. 160 and 30 as axis are awfully even numbers. It's happening a lot that people have 152 in real, but the doctor is too lazy and fine with 160.
    As anyway not getting a lens strength that's even the slightest bit above of what you need. Otherwise your eyes are getting worse.

And if glasses are something that you cannot stand you can also try out contact lenses. I'm much more satisfied with them... at least as long as I don't want to be perceived as kinda strict. ;)

You also only have a mild astigmatism? Or is there more to it... Just saying the numbers are only -0.25 for me, that's why I was wondering.

- - - Updated - - -.
    Mine is mild though I don't know the numbers. The world looks fairly normal to me without glasses. I can't read smaller print without them, however.

- - - Updated - - -

I see, (pun intended )

- - - Updated - - -

For me it is only an astigmatism, and a minor one... But I do genealogy and and look long times at those documents, and reading manga again without the strain would be nice...So maybe for specific situations it would probably help reduce the strain on me... Just wondered if anyone else gets the prescription for astigmatism solely?

- - - Updated - - -

So you were prescribed for only an astigmatism by itself and the bifocals came later? Just never had a prescription before, is all.
    Yes! I started noticing ghost images around stop signs and street lamps in my mid 20s and the eye doctor put me in my first glasses for astigmatism. Most humans will require glasses for close focus, reading, as they reach their mid 40s, it is a normal part of the ageing process so a progressive bifocal part was added to my script. Astigmatism is a weird thing, you can tell by the reflection of florescent tubes in the lenses and even with the glasses on things go out of focus when working on your side. Progressive bifocals are a mixed blessing too, no lines, easy to tilt your head for perfect focus but tricky depth perception stepping off curbs and the first week I had them I cut off the tip of my left thumb chopping kindling for the stove. It cost $1300.00 to get it sewn back on.