View Poll Results: Which one do you believe in?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Respect is earned, not given

38 65.52%
  • Respect is given until the person proves they don't deserve it

20 34.48%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Respect earned or given

Default Respect earned or given

I hear lot of people are raised under the belief respect is earned first before you receive it but I was raised the opposite.

Maybe it's different kinds of respect. So theres a basic respect for all people even if you don't know them. And then there's respect based on earned authority, even if you don't know them, then the kind of respect that those we know, earn through their goodness.
    I guess I was always taught that respect is earned, but also, a Christian thing I guess, that all people and things should be respected.

Respect is ALWAYS earned. NEVER given.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowBlitz View Post
    Surely it's ok to respect someone you don't know... of course they can lose that respect real quick. I hear what you're saying, and agree....but also you have to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Sure, true genuine respect is earned.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    ...but also you have to give people the benefit of the doubt...
    Not really. You don't really want to just give it like it's free pizza or something. Don't give the opportunity unless you see it...People burn respect away too quickly. My respect only goes to my friends, anyone that I don't truly remark as a friend, I don't give a shit about either because they have hurt me in the past or that they have not done anything to help or even acknowledged me.

Both? Everyone deserves a basal level of respect. Everything beyond that is earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    Not really. You don't really want to just give it like it's free pizza or something. Don't give the opportunity unless you see it...People burn respect away too quickly. My respect only goes to my friends, anyone that I don't truly remark as a friend, I don't give a shit about either because they have hurt me in the past or that they have not done anything to help or even acknowledged me.
    But if you treat everyone like you don't give a shit about them, how would you ever give them a chance to earn your respect. Sure I understand that that people who burn you don't deserve your respect, but to not respect someone just because they haven't had a chance to earn your respect is a bit rude I think. I mean how likely are they to try to earn your respect if you are showing them no respect.
    basically most people are good ... we should at least meet them at that point.

But if you treat everyone like you don't give a shit about them, how would you ever give them a chance to earn your respect. Sure I understand that that people who burn you don't deserve your respect, but to not respect someone just because they haven't had a chance to earn your respect is a bit rude I think. I mean how likely are they to try to earn your respect if you are showing them no respect.
    basically most people are good ... we should at least meet them at that point.
    No most people are not good. Most people are assholes who care little about the people around them. Just wanted to point that out. Otherwise I do agree that people deserve a base amount of respect, but anything beyond being polite to a stranger must be earned in my eyes.

But if you treat everyone like you don't give a shit about them, how would you ever give them a chance to earn your respect.
    Because first off, if you notice someone not giving respect for other people (If you don't even know them) Why should you give respect for them? It's like siding with a bully and nobody likes bullies, it's like being a teacher's pet. Everyone will hate you because the teacher likes you more (Which in this role, favoritism obviously...)

Sure I understand that that people who burn you don't deserve your respect, but to not respect someone just because they haven't had a chance to earn your respect is a bit rude I think. I mean how likely are they to try to earn your respect if you are showing them no respect.
    basically most people are good
    Back to my first comment. It's true you are supposed to give them a chance but you first off find out what kind of person they are. If they are an EX-criminal do they earn my respect? Hell no, they are eventually (might) going to commit another crime sooner or later...If the person has the same interests that I have and has not caused any trouble, I might give them a chance, only give your respect to people who you think earn it, not just because you are supposed to, respect will grow greatly in life with that friend and if you do something or that friend does something, you just lost alot of respect and it will be HARD to recover from it so going back to SnowBlitz's post,

And it is, must be earned, some people are nice enough to give respect, yes, and people are also nice to give out many chances when they have been hurt in the past, for me, you hurt me, f*** off pretty much. I've ran into people that have hurt me and even tried to hurt me. I lost a friend this December and I was upset till I found out he was hurting me and tried to get me to lose all my friends, now is that the kind of respect I want? Always check behind the scenes first, make your decisions, and hold your respect for people you actually care about, don't just give it out to everyone.

we should at least meet them at that point.
    Only on Tuesdays or if you know them better enough...

Oh and P.s. most people today you can't trust because even friends turn their back on you so you don't have much respect for the world. So example, I only have trusted friends in my life, and it's rare to even get on my good side.

No most people are not good. Most people are assholes who care little about the people around them. Just wanted to point that out. Otherwise I do agree that people deserve a base amount of respect, but anything beyond being polite to a stranger must be earned in my eyes.
    haha I suppose I'm naive ... I don't know. Maybe I just wish everyone was nice. I guess I'm just always lookin for the good in people...that could be a fault I guess. I mean I have been burned plenty, and perhaps this is why I don't have many close friends ... I still think that by at least showing some respect to others is a bit like creating good karma