Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite author?

Default Favorite author?

Who is your favorite author and why?

My favorite author is Mitch Albom, he wrote The Five People You Meet in Heaven, For One More Day, and Tuesdays With Morrie. I greatly enjoy his books because they really make you think about your own life and leaves you with a big "Wow..."

Who's your favorite author and why?

Mitch Albom is a wonderful author. While some people may consider his books contrived and over-the-top, I believe the messages in The Five People You Meet In Heaven are undeniably beautiful. While I did not like Tuesdays with Morrie as much as Five People, I thought it had a lot to say and a lot to inspire with.

If you're interested in reading another great Mitch Albom piece, here's one from a few weeks ago. It's extremely touching and hopeful -- exactly what you can expect from Albom.

As for my favorite author, though, I couldn't exactly say -- probably Herman Melville, if I were to go with my overall favorite! Outside of Moby Dick, some of his short stories are absolutely breath-taking. The man piles on great deals of symbolism and allegory, and presents very compelling stories at the same time that, while they are dated, don't feel dated. Directly after him, I'd say that Charles Brockden Brown is probably my second favorite, having been the spiritual predecessor to Poe and even modern horror authors such as Stephen King. Brown wrote several books in a three or four year period that were not only the first pieces of popularized American literature, that dealt with and focused on American locations and scenarios, but were also of a completely different tone than previous American literature, which borrowed highly from English archetypes. Brown's writing was horrific at times, and even brutally violent -- not something you expect for the 1790s.

His epistolary novel, Edgar Huntly: Or, Memoirs of a Sleepwalker is an outstanding piece of mystery and suspense. Being that it's a book written supposedly by Edgar Huntly rather than Brown himself, Brown went so far as to incorporate spelling and grammatical mistakes that a simple farm-hand like Huntly might have made in rewriting his story.

If you can stomach the language, I'd suggest reading it.

I actually have three favorite authors.

Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. The way she writes lines up with the way I write. I can appreciate her style because in essence, it's my style. This is because, well. She's my inspiration. She started writing at thirteen, and I drew my inspiration for my first stories from her. Not so much the plot as the style.

Diane Duane. She goes into some great detail about the way the universe is built, and the way magic would theoretically work, and she does it in a way that makes perfect sense. And she writes it for 11-13 year-olds. She's another inspiration.

Margaret Peterson Haddix. She writes about some crazy stuff, especially for the age group she's writing to. Societies that ban more than one child, and sentence the others to death (told in the viewpoint of the imprisoned children), aging in reverse, twins, etc. She's been one of my favorites almost as long as AAR has.

Dale Jarvis - Because he is an awesome dude, (Have met him in person a few times), and writes about true ghost stories in Newfoundland and Labrador.. plus he is a guide on the haunted hike which rules.

I liked The Five People You Meet in Heaven a lot! I still need to read some of his other books...

In fact there's not many books I've read that have had the same author... And I don't want to give favourite author based on one book by them.

I'll just give Bret Easton Ellis a mention since I've read both Less than Zero and The Rule Of Attraction and have a desire to continue reading his books... He manages to be funny, and a bit disturbing at the same time. And makes me wonder if I should be having more sex/drugs.

I would say, based on the shear amount of his stuff I like, Terry Pratchett. I have read a good amount of the Discworld Series, quite a few of his books for kids, both set on and off the Discworld, and apart from a few of the early Discworld books, I have loved them all. I find him incredibly clever and his comedy, especially in the later Discworld books, is brilliant. He can mix complete absurdism and surrealism with cutting satire that is beautifully barbed. He can and does make very serious points concealed in well crafted jokes.

I don't read as much as I like, and most of what I do read is comedic to some degree. I think I like Terry Pratchett because there is often a deep serious level to his work, but he still has me laughing his head off. I have to be in a very particular mood for just serious, and just comedy often doesn't appeal - there has to be more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Douglas Adams, and Dave Barry writes good stuff too.
    D.N.A. for me, too, as his writing is clear, concise, and has an undercurrent of wit that he allows to break the surface often. I wish I could have met him - or even read his books - when he was still alive. The Salmon of Doubt is very touching, and has spurred me to do something similar for a friend of mine who died in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    I'll just give Bret Easton Ellis a mention since I've read both Less than Zero and The Rule Of Attraction and have a desire to continue reading his books... He manages to be funny, and a bit disturbing at the same time. And makes me wonder if I should be having more sex/drugs.
    Ah. I just know him from American Psycho. As you said, he's funny, disturbing, and paints a vivid picture - usually in blood - in his book(s).

I have two three additions to this list: the first is in-line with who I am and who I appear to be, and the other two may surprise people.
    1. James Burke: His Connections book and subsequent books paint a picture of history that is very compatible with how I view history, and he is fascinating to read. I didn't like his later stuff (Circles) as much, as he's just flaunting the fact that you can connect anything to anything else given enough research. I especially like the wit that sometimes peeks through the text - before I'd seen him on television, I wondered if I was reading too much into the text and finding bits of wit. Turns out that, no, that was intentional.
    2. J. K. Rowling: The Harry Potter books are so simply written, yet convey so much information, that I should learn to write academically like this. Written for a simpleton with detail woven in, there's a lesson here.
    3. E. B. White: Another vote for "ruthless simplicity." Evidenced by Charlotte's Web as well as a book now co-authored with his student, The Elements of Style.

Well, I've always adored Ayn Rand. Atlas Shrugged took months for me to read, but it's the best piece of litterature I've ever read, all categories.