Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury found in HFCS

Default Mercury found in HFCS

BevNET.com: Study finds mercury in HFCS, findings questioned

So, it looks like mercury is in many forms of HFCS found in common household foods. While the objective levels are pretty small it could be a significant source of mercury that was unknown. Considering how harmful even small quantities of mercury are to kids, this could be something the FDA will look in to in the near future.

Another reason not to eat products with HFCS!

...so no one cares that a product which the average American consumed 25Kg of per year might have an extremely toxic element in it? And we haven't heard of this before?

I've always been incredibly opposed to HFCS. I've always thought, "Get all of this chemical crap out of our food!"

Now we have another possible Autism link.

Thats a major stretch. The mercury content of the highest tested HFCS sample was some 300,000 times less then the maximum allowable level in Tuna. The actual amount of Mercury is pretty inconsequential. However, the fact that there is mercury period in HFCS is disturbing simply because we did not know it.

Its rather funny, the corn refiners assn. was just running ads touting HFCS as natural (which is arguable) and it being fine in moderation. Talk about a major PR reclamation job.

Well I'll assume that HFCS is something that's used in "food" with no nutritional value whatsoever, which are foods I don't usually eat (a lot). So I'm not especially worried or surprised.

High Fructose Corn Syrup. Due to high US tariffs and the strength of the corn lobby, much of the sugar used in food production was replaced with High Fructose Corn Syrup in the mid 70s. It is in almost any product that could use sugar.

Everyone, go into your refrigerators and pantries; you'll be surprised as to how many products contain High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    Everyone, go into your refrigerators and pantries; you'll be surprised as to how many products contain High Fructose Corn Syrup.
    I even noticed that Plain Bagels had HFCS!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    ...so no one cares that a product which the average American consumed 25Kg of per year might have an extremely toxic element in it? And we haven't heard of this before?
    “Frankly,” Winter said, “I don't see based on their findings that they've made much of a case that this is something that consumers need to worry about."

your answer is in the link you provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggies1998 View Post
    I even noticed that Plain Bagels had HFCS!
    Exactly. Everywhere sugar once was, HFCS is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    “Frankly,” Winter said, “I don't see based on their findings that they've made much of a case that this is something that consumers need to worry about."

your answer is in the link you provided.
    The amount of mercury may be inconsequential in the long run, but the fact is mercury is in something that is has no reason to be in. It makes one wonder what else we're missing.

also, does anyone know a HFCS free ketchup?

Quote Originally Posted by Huggies1998 View Post
    I've always been incredibly opposed to HFCS. I've always thought, "Get all of this chemical crap out of our food!"

Now we have another possible Autism link.
    Er, I wouldn't call corn syrup "chemical crap". Really, if you eat in the US it is pretty much impossible to not eat it. I do prefer the taste of regular cane sugar in soda and things, though. That's one thing that makes Jones soda taste better.

On the other hand, fish has trace amounts of mercury as well, and sea food in general at that.