Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diaper Training

Default Diaper Training

Hi,

As I am going through the whole diaper training at the moment I would like to get more information on it, so if anybody has any info on it or any links to info on it that be great.

Thanks.

"diaper training" doesn't exist and there's no guide for it. You also can't make yourself incontinence unless you physically damage your body and that falls under self-harm which is a huge no-no to talk about on Adisc. Also no one has ever proven you physically need diapers from just wearing diapers for long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    "diaper training" doesn't exist and there's no guide for it. You also can't make yourself incontinence unless you physically damage your body and that falls under self-harm which is a huge no-no to talk about on Adisc. Also no one has ever proven you physically need diapers from just wearing diapers for long enough.
    Ok sound, just to double check that we are talking about the same thing, I am going through the process of being comfortable wearing and using at the moment and a similar thing was mentioned in another post and just wanted to get more info on it.

Quote Originally Posted by babied View Post
    Ok sound, just to double check that we are talking about the same thing, I am going through the process of being comfortable wearing and using at the moment and a similar thing was mentioned in another post and just wanted to get more info on it.
    The only thing you can do for those is wear diapers, make sure the diaper bulge is minimal or simply not care about if someone notices diaper bulge. And as soon as you feel a urge to go wet or mess. There's no secrect guides on how to wear diapers, you just do whatever your comfortable with and possibly experiment with tape positioning, etc.

The only thing you can do for those is wear diapers, make sure the diaper bulge is minimal or simply not care about if someone notices diaper bulge. And as soon as you feel a urge to go wet or mess. There's no secrect guides on how to wear diapers, you just do whatever your comfortable with and possibly experiment with tape positioning, etc.
    Yeah that is true, only focusing on the wetting part for now as I am still living at home and sharing a room and somehow getting away with it, tape positioning ?

Quote Originally Posted by babied View Post
    Yeah that is true, only focusing on the wetting part for now as I am still living at home and sharing a room and somehow getting away with it, tape positioning ?
    Tape positioning meaning how you tape the diaper on. Taping it too loosely makes it not feel good, too tightly and the tapes will pop or worse yet rip. There's a middle ground to me where you can get the diaper really snug around your waist and thighs and it's incredibly comforting to me. Though I should add I wear Bambino Bellissimo's and what kind of diaper you have will affect fit and how many tapes are even on the diaper to begin with.

I also wouldn't recommend Bellissimo's if you don't want anyone to know. They are really thick and make the classic diaper crinkling sound.

Tape positioning meaning how you tape the diaper on. Taping it too loosely makes it not feel good, too tightly and the tapes will pop or worse yet rip. There's a middle ground to me where you can get the diaper really snug around your waist and thighs and it's incredibly comforting to me. Though I should add I wear Bambino Bellissimo's and what kind of diaper you have will affect fit and how many tapes are even on the diaper to begin with.

I also wouldn't recommend Bellissimo's if you don't want anyone to know. They are really thick and make the classic diaper crinkling sound.
    Thought that's what you meant but wasn't sure, well for the moment I'm only wearing pull-up style diapers such as drynites/goodnites, yeah the drynites are fairly discreet which I did walk around the house while wearing before and to my knowledge no one knew, and they are really comfortable and snug, would adding to my diaper wearing help me feel more comfortable wearing and using ?

Default Diaper Training Guide

This is a working progress, its based on different potty training guides found online.

All About Diaper Training

All About Learning to Use a Diaper

When and how you help your child learn to use a diaper depends on how ready your child is, as well as your own beliefs and values about diaper training. There is not one “right” way or one “right” age to learn. Here are some questions and thoughts to keep in mind as you help your child unlearn how to use the toilet.

Encouraging Diaper Training

• Replace a few of his “big kid pants” with diapers in his underwear drawer. Allow him to inquire about the diapers on his own.
    • Play dress up with him and let him put a diaper on over his other clothes, it makes it a fun activity and a non-stressful way to introduce wearing diapers.
    • Find out the things he loves and tell him he has to wear diapers if he wants to do these activities.
    • Make a note of when he typically uses the potty, then schedule some of the previous activities around those times.

Signs That Children Are Ready for Diaper Training

• Most children develop control over their bowel and bladder by 18 months. Undoing this takes a lot of effort and patience. They didn’t learn to use the potty overnight, so learning to use a diaper can be a long, but worthwhile practice.
    • Your child is ready to learn to use a diaper when he or she:
    • Has an accident at night or after a nap.
    • Expresses an interest whenever he or she sees a diaper such as in a commercial, a tv show or movie, or when someone is wearing one.
    • Having difficulty getting to the potty on time or having to rush quickly to the restroom.

Most importantly, your child wants to use a diaper. He may tell you that he wants to wear diapers or learn to go potty “like a baby does.” He may feel uncomfortable in “big boy” underpants and asks to be changed into a diaper, or ask to let him put a diaper on himself.

Preparing for Diaper Training

There are a number of things you need to have before starting diaper training:

• Child safety lock for the toilet.
    • Diaper changing pad, baby wipes, baby powder, and diaper rash cream.
    • Daytime diapers and night time diapers.
    • Diaper bag (or backpack) for changing when away from the house or in the car.
    • Waterproof mattress protector and pillow protector.
    • Several pairs of plastic pants.
    • Enough plain onesies for each day.
    • Portable diaper caddy.
    • Clothing that fits comfortably over a thick diaper.
    • Diaper disposal unit, dedicated sealed trash can, or scented diaper bags for dirty diapers.

Preparing his room for diaper training:

• Replace all his “big kid pants” with diapers and plastic pants.
    • Put the sheet and pillow protectors on his bed.
    • Have a diaper caddy with two diapers, baby powder, cream, baby wipes, and a changing pad in it on his nightstand/table next to his bed.
    • Remove any clothing that will not fit over his diaper.

Starting Diaper Training

It can be helpful to think of diaper training as a process in which both you and your child have your own “jobs” to do.

It is the parent’s responsibility to create a supportive learning environment. This means you:

• Let your child decide whether to use a diaper or a pull-up each day.
    • Use a child safety lock on the toilet to encourage him or her to use the diaper for its intended purpose.
    • Expect and handle sneaking to use the toilet without anger.
    • Avoid praise as well as too much punishment around toilet use. (This can make children feel bad when they don’t use their diaper but use the potty.)
    • Do not get mad when his diaper leaks, it will make him self-conscious about using his diaper.

It is your child’s responsibility to:

• Decide whether to use a diaper or a pull-up each day.
    • Learn to listen to his body’s signals and to begin to associate the signals with voiding in the diaper.
    • Use the diaper at his own speed.
    • Let parent’s know when he needs his diaper change or he thinks it’s about to leak.

Handling Diaper Training While Away From Home

• Always put a onesie on him, it reduces stress about someone finding out he is diaper training and encourages him to keep his diaper on all day.
    • If he leaks frequently, begin using a diaper booster and/or plastic pants. If he leaks, he won’t feel confident in his diapers. You may also want to try switching to a better brand that handles leaks better or one with better absorbency.
    • Always have a diaper change and change of pants ready or nearby in-case of leaks or an emergency diaper change, a backpack or diaper bag can handle this function well.
    • Try to schedule a lunch time diaper change either back at home or in a private area without much traffic.

What to Avoid When Diaper Training

Do not switch back and forth from “big kid pants” to diapers, it will confuse your child and could stop progress.

Diaper Training Tips

Sometimes when first starting, your child may feel embarrassed or uncomfortable pooping in his diaper. Often times, for the first few days or weeks, helping him keep the diaper on but pull down the back of his diaper to poop in the toilet will start to help him learn that he is in diapers even while pooping. You may try to cut a hole in his diaper when he tells you he needs to go. At some point though, you may have to do tough love and start locking the restroom and have him use suppositories to help him learn to use diapers completely.

Unruly Diaper Wearer Training Tips

Lets face it, sometimes you start off with diaper training and everything seems to be going fine, then you find out he has been pulling down his pants and using the potty behind your back. The fastest and cheapest method to resolve this is to tie wrap through his belt buckle and an open hole in the belt. If he does succeed in taking his pants off to use the potty, he won’t be able to hide it. You may have to make a special mark on the tie wrap if he is crafty enough to find another one to try to trick you. They do make locking plastic pants, but they are a lot more pricey, but are even more effective.

Cheers for that mattyd, and to add to my last post would using a pacifier help me as well ?

Would definitely help you get in the head space if that's what your after.