Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gender Identity...

Default Gender Identity...

I just took the Bem Sex Role Inventory test

This is something that I took under guidance when I was younger and it showed that I had a strong feminine side (that's how it was communicated). Bear in mind that I'm biologically male.

So, having taken the test again, scored 46.5% on the masculine scale, 87.5% on the feminine scale and 72.8% on the Androgen scale

Hmmm. Interesting.

Seems that this has been stable for a long time. Shame that it has taken so long to deal with it. Given that I was a teenager at the time I took it the first time it might have saved a lot of heartache over the years if I had been offered support and guidance as to how to deal with this. Don't get me wrong, I'm male and want to stay that way.

Not that surprised that I did not get any support as I had a strict religious upbringing and i'm sure that my parents would have been shocked with this result and I'm sure that they were told that this is OK and normal.

Too late for me to do much about it now without loosing too much. Sorry if this sounds like I'm down about this, I'm more annoyed that I did not wake up to this earlier. I'll just carry on indulging the Sissy me in private and carry on as normal.

DLE

Maxx, quite agree, nothing that I can do to change the past, it has just taken a while come to terms with who I am and deal with what might have been... this is why ADISC is so great, it really helps. Just thought that sharing the info might help someone else.

BTW, I'm a big Clint Eastwood fan so a very good choice of clip!

Quote Originally Posted by SissyDLE View Post
    I just took the Bem Sex Role Inventory test

This is something that I took under guidance when I was younger and it showed that I had a strong feminine side (that's how it was communicated). Bear in mind that I'm biologically male.

So, having taken the test again, scored 46.5% on the masculine scale, 87.5% on the feminine scale and 72.8% on the Androgen scale

Hmmm. Interesting.

Seems that this has been stable for a long time. Shame that it has taken so long to deal with it. Given that I was a teenager at the time I took it the first time it might have saved a lot of heartache over the years if I had been offered support and guidance as to how to deal with this. Don't get me wrong, I'm male and want to stay that way.

Not that surprised that I did not get any support as I had a strict religious upbringing and i'm sure that my parents would have been shocked with this result and I'm sure that they were told that this is OK and normal.

Too late for me to do much about it now without loosing too much. Sorry if this sounds like I'm down about this, I'm more annoyed that I did not wake up to this earlier. I'll just carry on indulging the Sissy me in private and carry on as normal.

DLE
    My understanding is that gender identity, and masculinity/femininity, are usually pretty stable over time. If you had a lot of feminine traits when you were a teenager, by then your personality is generally pretty fixed, so it's highly unlikely that it'd change (barring a massive life event or trauma of some sort).

I went through a somewhat similar realization when I accepted my AB/LG side when I was about 23-24. By then I'd spent over a decade fighting it, with no lasting success. I managed to go a couple years at one point without wearing any girls' clothing, but the desire was always just below the surface, somewhat repressed. And while I regret spending so much time fighting that side of myself, when I gained self-acceptance, it was like a light going on. There was a whole world that I'd only explored in secret shame before, but could now enjoy fully. It was sort of like a beautiful park or garden that'd always been off-limits, but was now open.

It sounds like you're now pretty happy with this side of yourself, so I guess all I can suggest is enjoy the freedom! Sadly, we can't go back - and I'm with you, I wish I'd gotten support and acceptance as a teenager! It'd have made things so much easier. But now that we know what we know, we can enjoy it fully, and always be thankful that we have not only this unique side, but the newfound freedom to love it. (And hey, you don't have to indulge just in private...you can be yourself on here anytime!)

Thanks Adventurer,

I'm really still getting through all this. It has been an epiphany.

You might like to check my blog to see where it has all lead recently (and some of the complications I may have to face at some point).

Still, I'm feeling better in my self at the moment. Just not all that sure what the future holds at the moment. Stay as I am or follow this through with all the consequences that will result?

To say that I am a bundle of conflicting thoughts and emotions at the moment would be an understatement.

DLE

I scored 65.833 out of 100 masculine points, 67.5 out of 100 feminine points, and 62.5 out of 100 androgynous (neutral) points. I'm always cautious with these sort of tests. A lot of your personality is developed out of necessity- most males cannot act very feminine without serious social consequences. So how can I answer if I am feminine on a self-report test, if I can never express that part of my personality? Anyway, as I scored on this test, I usually end up with moderately strong masculine and feminine tenancies. People are complex- how they align to the stereotypes does not necessarily coincide with how they feel about themselves.

I think gender is hard wired in the brain- the influence of testosterone on a fetus' developing brain tissue. To complicate matters, plenty of biological females have masculine interests or personalities, and plenty of biological males have feminine interests or personalities, and it usually has nothing to do with gender identity. No test can tell you that, oh, if you like all these girly things, then you must be transgendered. Only you can answer that. Your brain knows. I believe/know I am transgendered because of my instincts, how I feel about my body, and how I wish to be seen. I'm a very weird person, though, and my thought patterns, interests, and personality won't go toward showing whether I'm rightfully male or female- they just show that I'm weird.

In short, don't place too much importance on those tests. Only you can answer the important questions about yourself.

If anyone's interested in the biological side of gender, and "brain gender", the BBC website has an interesting test which purports to show how strongly masculine or feminine your brain is by testing how well you score in areas that men or women score differently in. One caveat, though: If you have a high IQ, you'll just score well in all the areas. The results are more reliable with people of exactly average intelligence. Still, it's fun. http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...add_user.shtml

Took it just to kinda get a feel for how it is. It's not bad.

You scored 18.421 out of 100 masculine points 94.167 out of 100 feminine points, and 74.167 out of 100 androgynous points.

I hope you continue to accept who you are SissyDLE. There is nothing wrong with being feminine, masculine, or anything in between. You shouldn't have to hide. I'm sorry that the world sometimes forces you to.

There's a few of these tests out there unfortunately, the bbc-uk one didn't work for me...

You scored 54.167 out of 100 masculine points, 77.5 out of 100 feminine points, and 57.5 out of 100 androgynous (neutral) points.

Your score for masculinity was 93.
    Your score for femininity was 114.
    The graphic was broken...so I don't know what it would have been.

After continued research into androgyny, Bem developed a cognitive schema theory of sex role behavior (Cook, E. P. 1985). Androgyny is a particular way of processing information. Androgynous individuals do not use sex-role related schemas to guide their information processing. Gender schematic individuals divide the world into masculine and feminine. They use traditional sex-role standards in their processing of information. Gender schema theory does not emphasize the degree to which an individual is masculine or feminine, but rather the extent to which they process new information along in terms of sex roles (Hargreaves, D. J. & Colley, A. M., 1987).
    -Marka

imaguyandlikespink

Hey guys I'm new. ( yes I now this isn't the form for newbies) I just posted y introduction. It was under the for called hello everyone posted by toy fun. It was the top one under normal forms. Or just look for my username.

http://garote.bdmonkeys.net/bsri.html 50 masculine 84.167 femininity 74.167 androgynous

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...add_user.shtml doesn't work for me

personality-testing.info/tests/OSRI/
    Your score for masculinity was 94.
    Your score for femininity was 117.
    my graph was broken as well