Wellness Superio Review

KatelynG

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
The Wellness Superio is the allegedly premium version of Wellness-brand diapers. They are the fabled "astronaut diapers" - marketed as using the same material as NASA's MAGs.

This is a review of the medium size, purchased October 2014. These are designed to fit people with waist size 24-36 inches and are rated to hold approximately 739mL. The other available sizes are Large (36-46", 798mL) and X-Large (46-67", 858mL).

Appearance, Size, and Features

The Wellness Superio is plain white with a blue wetness indicator running up and down the diaper. It is plastic-backed with a thicker plastic layer at the landing area for the tapes.

261-1-FrontFolded.png

261-2-BackFolded.png

Front and Back of Folded Diaper

Three of the diapers were stacked, pressed down with a heavy object (a PS3), and measured to give an average height. The stack was measured at approximately 6.3 cm, giving an average thickness of about 2.1 cm.

261-3-stacked.png

3 Diapers Stacked

The Wellness Superio has two adhesive tapes on each side which stick to the plastic surface of the diaper. These are not refastenable and do not have a two-part tape system, although they can be removed and replaced if done carefully. The adhesive on the tapes is very strong and unlikely to accidentally come off.

261-4-tapes.png

The Tapes

I laid out the diaper and measured its dimensions. These are organized below for simplicity:

Length: 75 cm
Width at center: 19.0 cm between the elastics, 30.3 cm from edge-to-edge
Width at wings (both sides): 66 cm

261-5-outside.png

261-6-inside.png

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

Performance and Fit

In order to measure the capacity of the diaper, I wore it and poured water down the front 100 mL at a time followed by 30 seconds of sitting accompanying each pour, recording any observations I made and repeating. I concluded the test when the diaper leaked.

Throughout the test, the wetness indicator smeared, but did not disappear or change color. At 800mL, there was a very slight leak from the back cuffs. I could not determine if this was due to improper water pouring or an actual leak, so I kept going. I poured extremely slowly for the remainder of the test. A very significant leak occurred at 1000mL and I concluded the test.

At capacity, the Wellness Superio was fairly thick but not difficult to move in. Its squishiness rivaled that of baby diapers - this diaper is largely SAP.

I find it reasonable to believe that the effective capacity of these diapers is similar to the advertised capacity of 739mL due to the slight leak at 800mL. Although I was able to get the diaper to hold more water, it absorbed the water slowly enough that it would be impractical to expect that capacity in daily use.

When refolded and measured, the diaper had swollen to 6.8cm, around 3.24 times the dry size - a fairly large swollen size for an adult diaper.

261-7-wetdry.png

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

My waist size is around 28 inches - in the low-middle end of the Wellness Superio's advertised size range. It fit a lot like a baby diaper fits a baby - it rose to my belly button and covered more of my body than most adult diapers. The plastic was soft but very thin.

To test the diaper out in a real-life scenario, I wore it for a day starting at around 6 PM and ending at around 9 AM the next day. As I always do and advise others to do, I wet the diaper often and in small quantities. The diaper was fairly close to capacity when it was taken off, although it probably could have lasted a tiny bit longer. These felt extremely soft and only felt softer as they became more wet, and were probably the softest-feeling diapers I've used.

The diaper was distinctly not discreet, but it was very thin when dry as well as easy to move around in. The most notably non-discreet part of the diaper was the tapes. I once had to remove the diaper to use the restroom rather than mess and the tapes were audible throughout the house according to my (possibly over-sensitive) roommate. In addition, the removal of the tapes actually ripped part of the plastic covering of the diaper, exposing the fluff and SAP underneath. I was forced to apply packing tape to prevent further issues with ripping.

Price and Final Thoughts

I obtained these diapers for review purposes from NorthShore Care Supply, where they are available in a pack of 18 for $29.50 ($1.64/diaper) or a case of 54 for $79.97 ($1.48/diaper). These should be available at most diaper resellers as they are a fairly mainstream product.

These are honestly probably the closest thing to plastic-backed baby diapers available in adult sizes. I would definitely not recommend using these as a daytime, out-and-about diaper. I'd also be wary of the thin and fragile plastic backing - maybe put a bit of packing tape around the landing zone just in case. They don't hold a ridiculous amount, but they're cheap enough to not need to. These would probably be a decent AB diaper if they didn't look so generic. - I'd suggest making your own tapes/adding patterned duct tape if you're using these because they fit/squish like baby diapers.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: MegaLugia and Jorelaxed
I'd also be wary of the thin and fragile plastic backing

This. I ordered a sample of both this and the original Wellness brief from the manufacturer's website and found that, while capacity, fit, and feel were all pretty good, BOTH diapers' plastic backing ripped open near the seat area. I wasn't moving in any kind of unusual way and they weren't taped on excessively tightly or anything. I did notice a lot of SAP crystals sort of melted in with the plastic backing creating weirdly sharp surface texture, so this may have been a contributing factor to the product failure. I already thought that they were too expensive for what you get, but if the plastic backing is unreliable, none of the other features really matter in my view.

I tried this diaper and it is not to good for some one who works a lot and bending down a lot I have had them spilt open in the back and leak as well fall a part

good review and clever use of a PlayStation :smile1:

I ordered case of the original ones that are plastic back. every diaper in the case split down the middle of the but. I called wellness they said they was not made for active people they was made for bed ridden people. I said You mean astronauts cant space walk in them. They kina made me mad because I purchased a case and they refused to give back my money and no place I read on the package or their site said for bed ridden non ambulatory patients only. I was not impressed.

Reactions: Monster3579
I have never had the problem of Wellness Original diapers splitting in the back while I am active and wet. I wear them with confidence to work all the time without an embarrassing incident. I like the soft blue plastic. I think I just talked myself into wearing one for work today after I change my current wet and messy InControl Essential diaper. For a little more security and absorbency I am going to use a diaper booster.

KatelynG said:
The Wellness Superio is the allegedly premium version of Wellness-brand diapers. They are the fabled "astronaut diapers" - marketed as using the same material as NASA's MAGs.

This is a review of the medium size, purchased October 2014. These are designed to fit people with waist size 24-36 inches and are rated to hold approximately 739mL. The other available sizes are Large (36-46", 798mL) and X-Large (46-67", 858mL).

Appearance, Size, and Features

The Wellness Superio is plain white with a blue wetness indicator running up and down the diaper. It is plastic-backed with a thicker plastic layer at the landing area for the tapes.

261-1-FrontFolded.png

261-2-BackFolded.png

Front and Back of Folded Diaper

Three of the diapers were stacked, pressed down with a heavy object (a PS3), and measured to give an average height. The stack was measured at approximately 6.3 cm, giving an average thickness of about 2.1 cm.

261-3-stacked.png

3 Diapers Stacked

The Wellness Superio has two adhesive tapes on each side which stick to the plastic surface of the diaper. These are not refastenable and do not have a two-part tape system, although they can be removed and replaced if done carefully. The adhesive on the tapes is very strong and unlikely to accidentally come off.

261-4-tapes.png

The Tapes

I laid out the diaper and measured its dimensions. These are organized below for simplicity:

Length: 75 cm
Width at center: 19.0 cm between the elastics, 30.3 cm from edge-to-edge
Width at wings (both sides): 66 cm

261-5-outside.png

261-6-inside.png

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

Performance and Fit

In order to measure the capacity of the diaper, I wore it and poured water down the front 100 mL at a time followed by 30 seconds of sitting accompanying each pour, recording any observations I made and repeating. I concluded the test when the diaper leaked.

Throughout the test, the wetness indicator smeared, but did not disappear or change color. At 800mL, there was a very slight leak from the back cuffs. I could not determine if this was due to improper water pouring or an actual leak, so I kept going. I poured extremely slowly for the remainder of the test. A very significant leak occurred at 1000mL and I concluded the test.

At capacity, the Wellness Superio was fairly thick but not difficult to move in. Its squishiness rivaled that of baby diapers - this diaper is largely SAP.

I find it reasonable to believe that the effective capacity of these diapers is similar to the advertised capacity of 739mL due to the slight leak at 800mL. Although I was able to get the diaper to hold more water, it absorbed the water slowly enough that it would be impractical to expect that capacity in daily use.

When refolded and measured, the diaper had swollen to 6.8cm, around 3.24 times the dry size - a fairly large swollen size for an adult diaper.

261-7-wetdry.png

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

My waist size is around 28 inches - in the low-middle end of the Wellness Superio's advertised size range. It fit a lot like a baby diaper fits a baby - it rose to my belly button and covered more of my body than most adult diapers. The plastic was soft but very thin.

To test the diaper out in a real-life scenario, I wore it for a day starting at around 6 PM and ending at around 9 AM the next day. As I always do and advise others to do, I wet the diaper often and in small quantities. The diaper was fairly close to capacity when it was taken off, although it probably could have lasted a tiny bit longer. These felt extremely soft and only felt softer as they became more wet, and were probably the softest-feeling diapers I've used.

The diaper was distinctly not discreet, but it was very thin when dry as well as easy to move around in. The most notably non-discreet part of the diaper was the tapes. I once had to remove the diaper to use the restroom rather than mess and the tapes were audible throughout the house according to my (possibly over-sensitive) roommate. In addition, the removal of the tapes actually ripped part of the plastic covering of the diaper, exposing the fluff and SAP underneath. I was forced to apply packing tape to prevent further issues with ripping.

Price and Final Thoughts

I obtained these diapers for review purposes from NorthShore Care Supply, where they are available in a pack of 18 for $29.50 ($1.64/diaper) or a case of 54 for $79.97 ($1.48/diaper). These should be available at most diaper resellers as they are a fairly mainstream product.

These are honestly probably the closest thing to plastic-backed baby diapers available in adult sizes. I would definitely not recommend using these as a daytime, out-and-about diaper. I'd also be wary of the thin and fragile plastic backing - maybe put a bit of packing tape around the landing zone just in case. They don't hold a ridiculous amount, but they're cheap enough to not need to. These would probably be a decent AB diaper if they didn't look so generic. - I'd suggest making your own tapes/adding patterned duct tape if you're using these because they fit/squish like baby diapers.
This is nice to see side by side with the air supreme it really helps provide a grasp on what’s going on.

Diaperman95 said:
I ordered case of the original ones that are plastic back. every diaper in the case split down the middle of the but. I called wellness they said they was not made for active people they was made for bed ridden people. I said You mean astronauts cant space walk in them. They kina made me mad because I purchased a case and they refused to give back my money and no place I read on the package or their site said for bed ridden non ambulatory patients only. I was not impressed.
That is ridiculous for them to claim they are for bed ridden people when it is really just a poor quality backsheet. I had the exact same splitting problem several years ago with my second case. I sent Wellness an email, but didn't get a response. A short time later, I got a promo email from them that they made improvements and they had free samples. I requested a sample and they denied it saying I already got free samples (initial versions that I bought cases of). I then decided to never purchase from them again.

Reactions: furry121 and Monster3579
lampkins said:
That is ridiculous for them to claim they are for bed ridden people when it is really just a poor quality backsheet. I had the exact same splitting problem several years ago with my second case. I sent Wellness an email, but didn't get a response. A short time later, I got a promo email from them that they made improvements and they had free samples. I requested a sample and they denied it saying I already got free samples (initial versions that I bought cases of). I then decided to never purchase from them again.
I can not say I blame you at all. I had tried them once before that too and the plastic backing felt like it had grains of plastic in it. This last batch that I mentioned split was the same. I know in manufacturing a lot of plastics come in a little pellet and are melted. It is almost like the plastic did not all melt together right on the back sheet. Real weird either way not a fan

Reactions: Monster3579 and BeTrue
As I posted on September 28, I have never had problems with Wellness Original diapers. I have so much confidence in them that I wear and wet them while at work.

Reactions: Monster3579
Frungie said:
As I posted on September 28, I have never had problems with Wellness Original diapers. I have so much confidence in them that I wear and wet them while at work.
Glad they work for you. Maybe I had a bad batch, but after they told me the plastic back ones was more for nonablitory people to use their cloth back instead i gave up on them

Reactions: Cutiedan83
I have been in a Wellness Original diaper with a booster for over 8 hours. I am very wet, but no diaper leaks or failure. I wear many different diapers, and Wellness Original diapers are good daytime diaper for discretion and reasonable absorbency. I don't think my wife knew that I have been diapered all day. I also like the blue color; I find it pleasing.

Reactions: Monster3579, WarriorPrincess and Diaperman95
Around 2011, I tried the "Unique Wellness" briefs, they were bluish in color, and the plastic backing felt rough, like the plastic had tiny bumps all over it. I did not enjoy this diaper. It didn't fit well, and leaked on only my second wetting.

But the Superio is noticeably different, so I would give it a try.

BeTrue said:
Around 2011, I tried the "Unique Wellness" briefs, they were bluish in color, and the plastic backing felt rough, like the plastic had tiny bumps all over it. I did not enjoy this diaper. It didn't fit well, and leaked on only my second wetting.

But the Superio is noticeably different, so I would give it a try.
I had the exact same issue. Except the plastic liner would split and wet jell got all over my pants and was falling out my pant legs. No thank you. I gave them a second try several years later and the same thing. There will not be a 3rd time.

Reactions: BeTrue
I just received the superio. I wanted a thinner diaper for hiking. The last 2 I wore split down the middle. I haven't taken them hiking yet. They simply split from sitting in them. I guess when they mean bedridden, they mean no sitting either.

They lost my confidence years ago!! I'm IC, and the backing kept allowing moisture to leak through as if there were small pores in the backing. I also had a tearing problem and terrible customer service from them.
The wicking through left me embarrassed a few times!! The CS rep admitted that was a problem and to change much more often! An Astronaut diaper??? Hell no!! Even if they are supposedly improved I would not ever waste my time or money with them again.

Reactions: Jonnythepony
These diapers suck. If astronauts had to count on them they would of never finished the space station or Hubble. Wellness has plaid that claim into the ground. Abena is a way better diaper and it is far from the perfect diaper. The company will not stand behind their product either. Lots of better options.

Reactions: Otterbox, Jonnythepony and BeTrue
I tried them they seemed un even on both sides one side fit loose and the other side tight I readjusted several times with the same out come the tapes don't match up both versions leak they was good 10 years ago or whenever they started but they are junk

i have wore them for years love them and the cost is not bad

Back