NorthShore Premium Youth Review

KatelynG

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
The NorthShore Premium Youth Brief is NorthShore's attempt at creating a single-taped youth-sized diaper for transition between toddler and adult diapers.

This is a review of the only size, purchased in October 2014. These are designed to fit an enormously wide range of 18 to 33 inches and are rated to hold approximately 650 mL.

Appearance, Size, and Features

The NorthShore Premium Youth Brief is plain white with no color or noticeable outside features. It has elastic leg cuffs but does not have any leak guards.

260-1-FrontFolded.png

260-2-BackFolded.png

Front and Back of Folded Diaper

Three of the diapers were stacked, pressed down with a heavy object (a PS3), and measured to give an average height. The stack was measured at approximately 5.8 cm, giving an average thickness of about 1.9 cm.

260-3-stacked.png

3 Diapers Stacked

The NorthShore Youth has one refastenable tape, similar to most cloth-backed diapers except in quantity. During earlier tests, the tapes broke two out of two times, but the order I received for this test did not exhibit this problem.

260-4-tapes.png

The Tapes

I laid out the diaper and measured its dimensions. These are organized below for simplicity:

Length: 63 cm
Width at center: 17.6 cm between the elastics, 22.2 cm from edge-to-edge
Width at wings (both sides): 50 cm

260-5-outside.png

260-6-inside.png

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

Performance and Fit

In order to measure the capacity of the diaper, I wore it and poured water down the front 100 mL at a time followed by 30 seconds of sitting accompanying each pour, recording any observations I made and repeating. I concluded the test when the diaper leaked.

At around 700 mL, I noticed water pooling in the diaper before being absorbed as well as a very tiny leak. At 800 mL, there was an extremely large leak from both sides and the test was concluded.

When the diaper was removed, there were visible SAP crystals loose in the diaper. This only happened once - during the capacity test. It's possible that SAP coming through to the inside of the diaper could be a problem near capacity.

At capacity, the diaper was easy to move around in and there was little to no noticeable squish.

I find it reasonable to believe that the capacity of the Premium Youth briefs is approximately 650 mL as advertised, as there was a small leak after pouring 700 mL in.

When refolded and measured, the diaper had swollen to 5.0 cm, around 2.6 times the dry thickness of the Premium Youth. This is slightly less than your average diaper.

260-7-wetdry.png

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

My waist size is around 28 inches, towards the upper end but still well within the advertised 18 to 33 inch range. It did not fit very well, riding lower than any diaper should yet not quite threatening to fall off due to poor fit. The diaper was of fairly average softness - nothing too interesting on that front.

To test the diaper out in a real life scenario, I wore it for a few hours from 8pm to 11:30pm. As I always do and advise others to do, I wet the diaper often and in small quantities. The diaper was near capacity when I changed out of it. I believe this diaper could possibly last a bit longer, but I needed to pee quite a bit more than normal during this specific test.

The diaper was discreet and not visible or audible, likely due to it not fitting quite right. It was easy to move around in and seemed to contain smells fine. I did not need to adjust the tapes after putting it on, but they seemed to be easily refastenable.

Price and Final Thoughts

I obtained these diapers for review from NorthShore Care Supply, where they are available in a pack of 12 for $9.65 ($0.80/diaper) or a case of 96 for $69.95 ($0.73/diaper). These are not available anywhere else as they are a proprietary NorthShore product.

I would not advise these to anyone unless they are near the lower end of the size range. Despite advertising that they fit up to a 33 inch waist, they did not fit me in a satisfactory way. These are cheap, but perform less well and fit less well than high-end baby diapers, which are cheaper. They do only have a single tape, but partly as a result they cannot fit the higher end of their size range. They aren't bad diapers; they're just bad adult diapers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back