MoliCare Soft Super Review

KatelynG

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
The MoliCare Soft Super is one of the highest capacity cloth-backed diapers available from MoliCare. This diaper is part of MoliCare's Soft line, a series of cloth-backed diapers made for dealing with heavy incontinence.

This is a review of the small size, purchased in October 2014. These are designed to fit people with a waist measurement from 24-35 inches and are rated to hold approximately 887 mL (30 oz.). The other available sizes are medium (35-47") and large (47-59"), both rated at the same capacity.

Appearance, Size, and Features

The MoliCare Soft Super is white with purple lines and text running up and down it. There is a blue dashed line - a wetness indicator - running parallel to these which disappears when wet. There are no patterns or designs on the diaper aside from these.

258-1-FrontFolded.png

258-2-BackFolded.png

Front and Back of Folded Diaper

Three of the diapers were stacked, pressed down with a heavy object (a few magazines and a PS3), and measured to give an average height. The stack was measured at approximately 5.0 cm, giving an average thickness of about 1.7 cm.

258-3-stacked.png

3 Diapers Stacked

The MoliCare Soft Super has two refastenable tapes, similar to those found on most cloth-backed diapers. These do not become weaker as they are used, meaning that the diaper can easily be removed and replaced or adjusted after initial changing without fear of it becoming loose.

258-4-tapes.png

The Tapes

I laid out the diaper and measured its dimensions. These are organized below for simplicity:

Length: 65 cm
Width at center: 18 cm between the elastics + 3.4 cm of extra material on each side of the elastics
Width at wings (both sides): 50 cm

258-5-outside.png

258-6-inside.png

Front and Back of Unfolded Diaper

Performance and Fit

In order to measure the capacity of the diaper, I wore it and poured water down the front 100 mL at a time followed by 30 seconds of sitting accompanying each pour, recording any observations I made and repeating. I concluded the test when the diaper leaked.

Throughout most of the test, the area around the leg cuffs felt wet, including well before the diaper was near leaking. At about 500 mL, the wetness indicator had completely disappeared from the front of the diaper. At 900 mL, there was a small amount of wetness on the chair, but I did not determine it to be sufficient to conclude the test. I also distinctly felt wetness pooling in the diaper when sitting at the 900 mL mark. At 1000 mL, there was surprisingly no wetness on the chair. At 1100 mL, a fairly significant amount of water leaked from both sides of the diaper, enough to be visible through clothing had I been wearing something over the diaper, so I ended the test.

At capacity, the diaper very slightly impeded movement, but not anything that would prevent a normal walk - just a bit annoying. The padding was fairly squishy - not as much as a baby diaper might have been, but distinctly more than thicker adult diapers of similar capacity.

I find it reasonable to believe that the diaper can hold approximately the amount specified by the manufacturer (887 mL) due to the small amount of leaking at 900 mL.

When refolded and measured, the diaper had swollen to around 5cm, exactly three times the size when dry. Note that this was an average obtained by evening out the wet material's height - it is likely that some parts of the diaper would swell to a larger degree and some slightly less outside of controlled conditions.

A quick note must be made about the Soft Super's wicking: the diaper was distinctly wet throughout the entire absorbent area, suggesting that moisture was distributed throughout very well.

258-7-wetdry.png

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

My waist size is about 28 inches, around the middle of the Soft Super's advertised size range. It fit better than any diaper I've tried before - it came up about as high as I'd expect underwear to do without feeling like it was falling off. My roommate (who has a 31 inch waist) tried one on and reported that it felt a bit small on him, so I'm not sure how this would fit anyone much larger. The Soft Super felt extremely soft the entire time, both wet and dry.

To test the diaper out in a real-life scenario, I wore it for a day starting at around 1 PM and ending at around 11 PM. As I always do and advise others to do, I wet the diaper often and in small quantities. When I took it off, the diaper was not as swollen as it had been in the capacity test, so I likely could have worn it for a bit longer.

The diaper was extremely discreet and easy to move around in, aside from a bit of extra padding in the back. There was no discernible smell. I also did not notice any clumping or problems with the tapes. I had to remove the diaper partway through to use the bathroom as I was not in a good place to test the diaper's mess-holding capabilities, and was able to reattach the tapes without any problems.

Price and Final Thoughts

I obtained these diapers for review purposes from NorthShore Care Supply, where they are available in a pack of 30 for $32.75 ($1.09/diaper) and a case of 90 for $88.75 ($0.99/diaper). I do not know of any other sites from which to obtain these that are well-known in the AB/DL community.

These are a great diaper for discreetness and daytime use, being fairly cheap as well as extremely comfortable. I can't imagine anyone having problems with sagging or falling off due to the amazing tapes, and you can definitely easily tell when you need a change, so there shouldn't be any risk of leaking. These might not be as good of an AB diaper, as they aren't all that cute or thick, but they swell quite a bit and you can always add your own custom diaper tapes! I'd definitely recommend these for anyone of similar size - they're the only diaper I've really been excited about thus far in my AB/DL life.

Last edited by a moderator:
positively scientific. love the approach!

Great work, you did a really good job on this one. That is interesting about the sizing. I'm wondering now being 33" whether they might be a little small on me, or, if being at the bottom of the medium size bracket might be too loose and bulky. Anything to report about wetting in them while sleeping?

- - - Updated - - -

Just for kicks I measured one of my remaining Molicare Super Plus with the plastic back, size M.
end to end length: 75cm
width between legs: 17cm
width across wings: 50cm

I'm a 33" waist, 180 lbs, and they are very comfortable, if not a little bulky. They never leak while sleeping which is of huge importance IMO.

Back