Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How severe burns helped me feel like a little

Default How severe burns helped me feel like a little

Last week, I burned both my hands in a kitchen grease fire. (The left hand, particularly the thumb) is REALLY scorched. Possible nerve damage even.) The net result is that both my hands are heavily bandaged. So today, my mom had to wipe my butt after I pooped.

Now, I claim that my play age is between three and five, so perhaps I should have enjoyed this on some level. But all I could think of is that line from Mitch Albom's book Tuesday's With Morrie, where Morrie tells Ted Koppel that he dreaded the day that someone would be wiping his ass.

I've also started practicing writing right-handed. Just in case my thumb has to go bye-bye. And being a Little, I naturally did so in Crayon. LOL

As for the prognosis, the ER docs seem to think there's a chance Thumkin can be saved. Best case scenario, though, is that I'm likely to have a gnarly looking hand for life. Oh well, it will make for a teaching moment when the kids I volunteer with ask why it looks that way. (or perhaps why the thumb's gone.)

thumb's can be replaced.

they take a big toe and transplant it to the hand. lol

Quote Originally Posted by anned View Post
    thumb's can be replaced.

they take a big toe and transplant it to the hand. lol
    I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, but damn would that look weird. Be an excellent conversation piece tho =P

Also, Illinoise, hope your hand gets better. Sounds really painful and not fun at all. Might I ask how the fire started? I cook a lot (especially with oil) and I'm always afraid of grease fires D:

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoise View Post
    Last week, I burned both my hands in a kitchen grease fire. (The left hand, particularly the thumb) is REALLY scorched. Possible nerve damage even.) The net result is that both my hands are heavily bandaged. So today, my mom had to wipe my butt after I pooped.

Now, I claim that my play age is between three and five, so perhaps I should have enjoyed this on some level. But all I could think of is that line from Mitch Albom's book Tuesday's With Morrie, where Morrie tells Ted Koppel that he dreaded the day that someone would be wiping his ass.

I've also started practicing writing right-handed. Just in case my thumb has to go bye-bye. And being a Little, I naturally did so in Crayon. LOL

As for the prognosis, the ER docs seem to think there's a chance Thumkin can be saved. Best case scenario, though, is that I'm likely to have a gnarly looking hand for life. Oh well, it will make for a teaching moment when the kids I volunteer with ask why it looks that way. (or perhaps why the thumb's gone.)
    Wow, I admire your ability to cope.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooky View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but how did you type this?
    OP will probably have a better answer, but given their ability to hold a crayon with their right hand (as well as implied ability to hold a pencil normally, just choosing not to), I'd assume their right hand isn't completely incapacitated :3 still cant get it wet, which means no getting it dirty, both because you cant wash it and dirty leads to infection, so obv no wiping with either hand, just in case. plus i wouldnt wanna wipe with just one hand D:

Illinoise,

So sorry to hear about the accident. Hope that you recover quickly.

You might want to think about voice recognition. Dragon NaturallySpeaking is very good. - http://www.nuance.co.uk/dragon/index.htm

I've been using it on and off for 3 years.

DLE

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I know all about wound care, as my wife is diabetic and recently had her right leg amputated below the knee. She is making out well, now taking a few steps in physical therapy with her prosthetic leg. Hang in there and try to save the thumb, but if they can't, they have amazing alternatives. I've heard of hand transplants and even arm transplants, the nerves eventually regrowing. One day we will grow our own replacement parts from our own stem cells. Hang in there, and by the way, you have a loving mother!

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTyrant View Post
    Wow, I admire your ability to cope.
    I'm just playing the hand the hand I've been dealt. (no pun intended.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mawile View Post
    OP will probably have a better answer, but given their ability to hold a crayon with their right hand (as well as implied ability to hold a pencil normally, just choosing not to), I'd assume their right hand isn't completely incapacitated
    There are just a few tiny burns my right hand, so I've got nearly full use of that hand. And the way we've got my left hand wrapped, only my thumb is out of order.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Hang in there, and by the way, you have a loving mother!
    I sure do.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoise View Post
    There are just a few tiny burns my right hand, so I've got nearly full use of that hand. And the way we've got my left hand wrapped, only my thumb is out of order
    Figured =P still gotta keep it clean and dry tho hope it gets better!