Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want audio input for my car -cheaply

Default I want audio input for my car -cheaply

Up till now I've been getting by with a Gigaware FM transmitter that plugs into my cigarette lighter. It gets the job done, but whatever station I tune it to (even one of the few "empty" stations) it starts getting fuzzy (losing FM lock) after 10 seconds. My car is a 2005 Malibu LS with the stock system in it and I want to find a [rather inexpensive] solution that's better than what I have. The head unit is just a cd player/radio with no other external input. I read that the unit should be XM ready, though I never checked.

What I'm asking is if there is a way I can add auxiliary audio input to my car without too much investment in money. Primary reason for wanting to go this route is that I'm uncertain how long I will have this car before I decide to get a newer one (at least 1.5 years, but I just might drive the car till it quits).

Thanks everyone.

I can't think of anything besides getting a better FM transmitter dealie.

Unless the radio has other inputs that just arn't being used (look up the specific model, but it's unlikely), that's pretty much your only real option.

I'm in the same situation, I have an RCA jack, but my RCA plugs on the deck are an output from the deck. I'm going to look some what it take to tap into the speaker inputs. (It's going to take some schematic work, and some soldering.) But I'll let you know if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeybravo View Post
    I'm in the same situation, I have an RCA jack, but my RCA plugs on the deck are an output from the deck. I'm going to look some what it take to tap into the speaker inputs. (It's going to take some schematic work, and some soldering.) But I'll let you know if it works.
    um as a Mechanic im going to say VERY BAD IDEA. unless you have an entire wiring Schematic of the Unit don't go fooling around inside with a Soldering gun.

seriously just go down to an audio shop ask for a Digital Media Reciver can probbly get it for like $40. wires in easily can Do USB, Aux, RCA input, Ipod, AM, FM, and has a Subwoofer Output. because they have No CD hardware in them they run pretty cheap

I added bluetooth capability to my stock system with these parts: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/GM.html, and http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492t...udio+receivers. The most difficult part was finding a +12V source to power the bluetooth receiver. I am absolutely delighted with the result!

Clever, within the limitations of the caveats. I could have used that before I swiped the radio/cd player out of Juniors old Town Car (it was on the way to Demo Derby). Its got an input jack, so I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Clever, within the limitations of the caveats. I could have used that before I swiped the radio/cd player out of Juniors old Town Car (it was on the way to Demo Derby). Its got an input jack, so I'm good to go.
    Depends on the flavor of Town Car. The 1995-2002 (and possibly others) had the terrible design in which the actual guts were in the trunk, while the head unit in the passenger compartment was effectively a large remote control only. I learned this after buying Mr. Aurkarm a replacement stereo for his '97 and learning I'd have to rewire the whole car to make it work. 1996-2007 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable stereos are similarly stupid. Part of it was Ford trying to free up dash real estate while offering customers large and easy to use buttons. Part of it was Ford trying to capture money formerly going to the aftermarket for premium stereo systems. All of it was absolutely painful if you wanted to do anything with your own system!

Anyways, a friend of mine did something similar to what Fire2box posted, but a bit more cleverly. He got a factory CD changer that would work with his car from the junk yard. He scavenged the antenna connection, connected it into the stereo, and made the CD changer end into a mini-pin connection. He ran that through the dash and left it available to plug an iPod directly. He used it for about eight years before he finally sold the car with 260,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    Depends on the flavor of Town Car. The 1995-2002 (and possibly others) had the terrible design in which the actual guts were in the trunk, while the head unit in the passenger compartment was effectively a large remote control only.
    Town Car was an '88, stereo an aftermarket unit that he didn't need in his new vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Entity View Post
    Up till now I've been getting by with a Gigaware FM transmitter that plugs into my cigarette lighter. It gets the job done, but whatever station I tune it to (even one of the few "empty" stations) it starts getting fuzzy (losing FM lock) after 10 seconds. My car is a 2005 Malibu LS with the stock system in it and I want to find a [rather inexpensive] solution that's better than what I have. The head unit is just a cd player/radio with no other external input. I read that the unit should be XM ready, though I never checked.

What I'm asking is if there is a way I can add auxiliary audio input to my car without too much investment in money. Primary reason for wanting to go this route is that I'm uncertain how long I will have this car before I decide to get a newer one (at least 1.5 years, but I just might drive the car till it quits).

Thanks everyone.
    If I were you, I would simply have an after market stereo installed. You would be pretty much be paying the same price. Not only that but you will be able to have better sound and depending on the model you choose you can have some other features as well. All FM transmitters are terrible.

I'm somewhat of a penny pincher, and I'm also an audiophile. This it's a great investment if you care about the sound quality. My recommendation is to find a good deal for a car stereo online. Crutchfield.com offers great customer service and they have some good deals. They also get all the necessary parts for your vehicle as well at a discount. They will make sure you have everything you need for your car. You can simply have the radio installed in to your next car.