Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CIA using diapers as torture devices?!?

Default CIA using diapers as torture devices?!?

At my grandparents and this was on the news. Thoughts? http://www.businessinsider.com/the-s...report-2014-12

Ok now im pissed wtf is the government thinking at this point

It's good that this is coming to light.

I think much like the revelations about NSA spying, most people assumed horrible torture was going on, but now that specifics have leaked, it's a lot harder to generalize and dismiss it. Specific points are always better than general assumptions in an argument, and hopefully public outrage will actually lead to some kind of action.

Government is a bit strange, yep. But they do whatever is possibly to thrive any information out of individuals that can save our lives from any bad crimes from outfar. IE: Terrorist bomb, Kamikaze, etc... Torture has been well known for awhile, i'm not saying it's good, but it's what keeps us safe...maybe not the large ones but we are well informed later on in life.
    Last edited by Snivy; 11-Dec-2014 at 15:30. Reason: Grammar, removed wrong info

I just thought it was kinda funny about the diapers since most of us fantasize about that exact thing

Quote Originally Posted by monkeegurl_90 View Post
    I just thought it was kinda funny about the diapers since most of us fantasize about that exact thing
    I personally ignored the diaper part and focused more on the torture devices the government is using. Nothing that the government does surprises me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    Torture is well known for awhile i'm not saying it's good, but it's what keeps us safe and we get informed on the events...maybe not the large ones but we are well informed later on in life.
    Major citation needed on that one.

The whole point of this report, and hell most reports on torture in general, is that it is completely ineffective in the long term. Most terrorist organizations are structured such that no one really knows anything outside of their cell, and as soon as someone is captured anything they might have known about is changed. They don't have long term secret bases or long term coordinated plans, they move around and make short term moves. The only people who probably knew about 9/11 were the ones orchestrating it. If you'd captured any of them, they probably would have changed or cancelled the plan altogether.

The only time torture is generally effective is short term immediate information. You capture a scout and torture him until he tells you where the others are or what they are doing in the area. That's about all he is going to know that's useful to you, and it's only useful for a short window.

Maybe there is some big example case where torturing people for months after initial capture prevented some big plot, but based on available information it seems to be useless. At best it keeps guantanamo in the minds of everyone as a really scary place.

Quote Originally Posted by Business Insider
    CIA forced detainees to wear diapers "to cause humiliation" and "induce a sense of helplessness." Learned helplessness is used to coerce the prisoner's cooperation in terms of confessions, many of which later turn out to be false.
    Who is surprised? I'm not surprised. People enjoy abusing and humiliating other people that they hate - if you give them a licence to do it, and don't give them anything worthwhile to do instead this kind of thing is the result. I've no doubt that the "Enhanced Interrogation" got some useful information out of prisoners - but was that any more information than could have been extracted by skilled officers using less brutalising techniques? We can't know, but we can suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Business Insider
    Full details of the report are below, but here are some of the most shocking findings:

Bush was not briefed during the first four years of the program, but Vice President Dick Cheney was.
    There was a reason people called it the Cheney-Bush administration.

In other torture related news: Brazil's truth commission has reported - the Brazilian military were apparently very impressed by techniques they learned in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Major citation needed on that one.
    Citation? This is my own words. Please Explain?

The whole point of this report, and hell most reports on torture in general, is that it is completely ineffective in the long term. Most terrorist organizations are structured such that no one really knows anything outside of their cell, and as soon as someone is captured anything they might have known about is changed. They don't have long term secret bases or long term coordinated plans, they move around and make short term moves. The only people who probably knew about 9/11 were the ones orchestrating it. If you'd captured any of them, they probably would have changed or cancelled the plan altogether.
    True, but they do have secret groups and terrorists don't give in to demands, nor are they known for cancelling deadly tasks. 9/11 was definitely a ticking time-bomb waiting to happen. If their plan was exposed, all they could have done was tell all airliners to ground their planes.Losing money of course but saving lives...sad that 9/11 had to happen.

The only time torture is generally effective is short term immediate information. You capture a scout and torture him until he tells you where the others are or what they are doing in the area. That's about all he is going to know that's useful to you, and it's only useful for a short window.

Maybe there is some big example case where torturing people for months after initial capture prevented some big plot, but based on available information it seems to be useless. At best it keeps guantanamo in the minds of everyone as a really scary place.
    Definitely! Leaders don't crack under pressure while small guinea pigs well do. It's better to get small information rather than getting none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeegurl_90 View Post
    Yeah the difference is: I fantasise about having a loving partner do it to me, in a warm comfy place where I can safe-word out of the situation any time. I don't fantasise about soldiers yelling at me in a language I don't understand, and tying me up in a concrete cell and leaving me there in tropical heat. It's all about the context.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I hear about something like this I find it kills my interest in my fetish for the rest of the day. It's the same when I hear about sex-crimes in the news: that kills my libido for hours after as well. I hate seeing something I enjoy be a form of torture.