Thread: How thick should a diaper be? (By the Numbers)

Default How thick should a diaper be? (By the Numbers)

I got curious about thickness and started taking some measurements to determine exactly how thick a diaper needs to be to achieve maximum realism, as to what a 3 year old baby today would be wearing.

Average 3 year old boy's leg length = 425mm

Modern Diaper Measurements, all numbers rounded up.

Folded thickness = 21mm, 5% of leg length

Folded length from top to crotch = 235mm, 55% of leg length

Folded Width = 121mm, 29% of leg length

That would translate to...

Average length of 21 year old male's leg = 900mm

Requiring a diaper that is...

Folded thickness = 45mm (1.8 inches) (7.2 inches in quad fold like a lot of diapers come)

Folded length from top to crotch = 495mm (19.5 inches)

Folded width = 261mm (10.3 inches)

It would also need to have a front unfolded width of 23.7 inches, with stretch to 41.2 inches, a rear unfolded width of 27.6 inches.

Also, 4 inch single tapes located 1 inch from the top of the diaper.
    Last edited by PaciPilot; 10-Dec-2014 at 01:54.

Yeah, I've often thought about things this way. Unfortunately, the diaper makers don't. People always talk about how single-tape adult diapers suck, but I'm convinced they'd be totally awesome -- IF somebody would make them like the baby kind, scaled up properly. There really don't seem to be any serious efforts afoot, though. Even the latest ABDL diapers are a basic, already-existing adult design that's been superficially baby-ized. Boo!

Thickness is all relative these days. Back in the 70's and 80's baby diapers were much thicker. Today the use of SAP and inner leak guards in diapers means they don't have to be as thick to be pretty absorbent. And, I'm talking about disposables here. Cloth diapers are thicker by their very nature. I like a thick diaper primarily for the increased absorbency and secondarily because they make me feel more babyish.

Quote Originally Posted by PaciAlone View Post
    I got curious about thickness and started taking some measurements to determine exactly how thick a diaper needs to be to achieve maximum realism, as to what a 3 year old baby today would be wearing.

Average 3 year old boy's leg length = 425mm

Modern Diaper Measurements, all numbers rounded up.

Folded thickness = 21mm, 5% of leg length

Folded length from top to crotch = 235mm, 55% of leg length

Folded Width = 121mm, 29% of leg length

That would translate to...

Average length of 21 year old male's leg = 900mm

Requiring a diaper that is...

Folded thickness = 45mm (1.8 inches) (7.2 inches in quad fold like a lot of diapers come)

Folded length from top to crotch = 495mm (19.5 inches)

Folded width = 261mm (10.3 inches)

It would also need to have a front unfolded width of 23.7 inches, with stretch to 41.2 inches, a rear unfolded width of 27.6 inches.

Also, 4 inch single tapes located 1 inch from the top of the diaper.
    Sounds about right.

I've done this exact same thing (seven times, in fact), and I've come up with similar measurements.

The one thing that's off is the width of the center panel. Excluding the wings, it should be closer to at least 15-17 inches for a 32-in waist person, with back wings each measuring 3-7 inches wide.

Part of this is to account for extra width needed for sewing on elastic in the legs. However, most of it really is just to be wider for comfort's sake. 10 inches of width works for the filling/stuffing, but doesn't work for the outer panel because (from what I've observed obsessing over fit/feel) there is usually some sag/poofiness (1-2 inches each side, adding 2-4 inches extra width) that needs to be added in there.

Granted, the width does eventually sag and add that poofiness...but the last time I did 12 inches I felt like I was wearing a bikini (see #3 here).

Oh, and yes, 1 inch of thickness makes some sense for fresh linen poofed up a bit...when you get it compressed, it is probably closer to 1/2-3/4 in. thick. Sooooo....might be a bit on the thick side. Honestly, though, I've found the width and material stiffness matters more than anything else. A diaper can be thick, but if it's not wide enough it feels like a hard towel stuck uncomfortably between your cheeks. If it feels right, it feels like a pillow across the cheeks...

I've used some felt-like material (Zorb) in my most recent diapers, and I can make it three layers thick comfortably...about 3/4 inches thick...and because it is relatively stiff yet soft it feels and looks very nice. For the record, Zorb is pretty absorbent for floods too...not much better for press-out than any other cloth material (and it never will be as good as SAP), but very good for what I've tried so far. Oh...and save yourself the pain of getting 2-inch wide velcro loop material and having to improvise to make a good landing panel--you can get 54" wide loop material by the yard on Wazoodle.

Conclusion: All you measurements look okay, but add an extra 2-4 inches to your width, and remember to account for that additional width in your wings. Oh, and remember seam bias.
    Last edited by Kif; 10-Dec-2014 at 06:36.

If only they were made like the baby ones all scaled put or adult lengths :/