Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Tape diapers. . . *sigh*

Default 4 Tape diapers. . . *sigh*

Has anyone noticed. . . most adult diapers that have the 4 tapes, the tapes suck, really bad, you can't adjust them more than once before the tapes just go bad and don't stick anymore? Even on 'readjustable tape' diapers. . . the tapes are just horrible. . .

I'm just curious if anyone else is troubled by this? I mean I get you're not meant to be taking the diaper off and on, but after a while diapers can come lose as the sides stretch and require readjustment. When one goes to do the adjustment they discover, uh-oh, the tapes are useless now because they wont stick, and these diapers I just spend $$$$$$ on are now useless.

I'm just curious as to why no diaper company that makes adult diapers has thought "Well instead of using different tapes, lets use the velcro stuff that baby diapers use"

Thoughts?

The velcro probably wouldn't be as strong supporting adults as it is to babies. I also have found annoyance on this before on one of my M4's for example and the last tape would not stick because of a small error. The glue tapes are stronger on adults than velcro for plastic (like velcro for adults are more suited on cloth, I think) Some tapes on diapers are good and other tapes on other diapers are bad, yet you hear different stuff about tapes from different people.

I will also shoot for that it's cheaper to make glue tapes rather than velcro tapes as they would get disposed and more money is wasted. In order to make money, you have to spend money, so in this case, if M4 had velcro tapes, the diaper's price would go up because it costs more to make. I guess diaper companies don't want that...why I can't answer that because I don't know. As for the tape issues, I would say it's maybe experience...not the tapes themselves? People, for example, say the dry 247 tapes pop off too much (probably true because this is a new one I keep hearing) but I also have heard is regular sized diapers on a dry 247 are supposedly good.

I do understand what your saying, you spend money and you want to get your money's worth instead of a damaged product and have money wasted but honestly, most diapers are like that nowadays and all we can do is measure how big we are, hope we get it right, and hope we nail the perfect tape fit the first time. It does take time to get that perfect fit and not worry about lack of stickness. I would also say the tapes aren't useless if they don't stick, you could possibly try to repair the tape yourself and try to make it stick because for a perfect fit, you would need all four your tapes (I think 2 for some) so if one fails, just repair it, might work, might not work.

You also should focus for some diapers that DO allow re-adjustable tapes like pop off and re-tape for a better adjust on the diaper itself so you don't have to worry about damaged tapes but whatever diaper you fall in love in is that one you should get.

I can't say I'm troubled by it. It's an intrinsic part of a diaper to me. It's occasionally a problem but it's part of the overall experience. I also shy away from diapers with consistently bad tapes.

As to your question about Velcro tabs, Provider's Choice had a diaper that was essentially a Dry 24/7 but with Velcro tabs and landing zone. As a cloth-like cover hater, it was an unholy marriage of plastic and faux cloth to me. If you want fidelity to baby diapers, there are an increasing number of options in the cloth-like covers.
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-Dec-2014 at 07:49. Reason: misremembered the diaper in question.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    or just get the tapes right on the first try
    Ha ha -- yeah, that's just what I've had to learn do over the years. :-/

I remember some great "Harmony Power" (or something) diapers that had a 10 or 15cm wide "belt" that stuck onto large Velcro-like panels on the front. They worked amazingly -- you could re-fasten them as much as you liked and they stayed firmly in place. They were as absorbent as a Tena Maxi and even more discreet.

I only got one pack, and then I never came across them again. Sigh... diapers of yesteryear... :-)

I find that the tapes on Tenas are very good and can be used several times.

BordercollieTrigger

I use Tena super briefs and they are good as long as you keep two on the bottom and only refasten the top ones. They work good just the cloth seems to wear off after several applying but they disposable who will complain not made to last.

Getting the tapes right the first time is easy, but if you're like me and you have family around because you still live at home, you'll have to occasionally take the diaper off. And for me, that sucks because for Bambino's for example, which is the diaper I'm having this problem with, great diaper, works amazingly, but the tapes are just horrible if you have to take the diaper off for something. . .

While not really adjustable the Molicare super pluses can be reset within ~30 seconds without issue. After that it's pretty much melded with the plastic though XD

Also I'll take bad tapes over good pullups, they seem to perform better even if you misplace a tape or two.

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post
    Has anyone noticed. . . most adult diapers that have the 4 tapes, the tapes suck, really bad, you can't adjust them more than once before the tapes just go bad and don't stick anymore? Even on 'readjustable tape' diapers. . . the tapes are just horrible. . .
    Yes I have that same problem actually. I just thought it was just me because I am 6'6" tall and happen to still be active. You see when I move I put a huge amount of stress on my diaper just by throwing my weight around. I just thought that was a problem that simply could not be worked on because of my unusual size.

I'm just curious if anyone else is troubled by this? I mean I get you're not meant to be taking the diaper off and on, but after a while diapers can come lose as the sides stretch and require readjustment. When one goes to do the adjustment they discover, uh-oh, the tapes are useless now because they wont stick, and these diapers I just spend $$$$$$ on are now useless.
    yes I am troubled by this actually. Except it's most likely more troubling for me because I have to wear diapers more for medical use then for recreation making this even more troubling.

I'm just curious as to why no diaper company that makes adult diapers has thought "Well instead of using different tapes, lets use the velcro stuff that baby diapers use"
    Well the answer to that is it costs more money to produce such a diaper because the tapes would make the diaper more expensive. As a result it's impossible for a company to be competitive unless your dealing with cloth diapers that are not going into the trash anytime soon.

Thoughts?
    invent a new type of adhesive to replace the tapes on most diapers that's cost effective? Obviously this is easier said then done of course.