Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Plushies Have Feelings?

Default Do Plushies Have Feelings?

I'm a believer that in some way, plushies have feelings. Call me crazy if you will, but I think that the feelings we have for our plushies can extend to the point of them gaining their own individual personalities, feelings, and characteristics. Any opinions, ideas or thoughts?

You're crazy. :P

I don't think they do, but what I think most experience when they look into their plushies eyes or hug them is a reflection of themselves reflecting back at them and giving the illusion that they are alive.

Trying telling that to my teddy bears that clearly have personalities of their own. LOL. I wish you could see what I'm talking about Note.

I second Note. Seriously Crinkles were talking about fabric. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my teddy....literally .... Yeah I know it's whacko .... But actual personality ...., nah dude. Transference is what we are talking about. We project our deep emotional desires onto inanimate things that represent for us our deepest yearnings.

Plushies are awesomely wonderful cuddly imitations .... Oh btw did I mention how much I adore my teddy

Here's an interesting fact. B.B. King has a guitar named Lucille. Playing up and down the road for years, pouring his emotions into what he plays, and experiencing the passion of what he plays with others, makes the guitar he plays gain a personality. That's the way it is with my bears. Going through things I've been through and having my bears there, helped them gain their personalities. I never said plushies were "alive".

WearingClouds

I believe that plushies have feelings. Energy is all around us. Who's to say some of that energy hasn't been transferred to "inanimate" objects.

Then again, maybe not. Anyways, I believe they have feelings... ^__^
    Last edited by WearingClouds; 08-Dec-2014 at 18:10.

I believe that we can create a bond with our plushies, and I certainly see mine as close friends (at least the ones I've had for a while). I guess they can have 'personalities' in a non-sentient way. For example, my Manhattan Toy Snuggle Bug has the appearance of being bashful, whilst Big Panda has looked cheerful for the last 23 years (quite an achievement when he has to put up with me!).

However, no, they don't have feelings. It's nice to think that they want cuddles and enjoy being snuggled or climbing under the covers, but it's purely a case of us projecting our own feelings and personalities onto them. That said, I certainly treat my plushies with care, and not just because buying a replacement would cost money. They're often companions who I love a lot, and whose company I truly enjoy - and I'm okay with the fact they don't have feelings about me.

This one does! Hehehe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    I second Note. Seriously Crinkles were talking about fabric. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my teddy....literally .... Yeah I know it's whacko .... But actual personality ...., nah dude. Transference is what we are talking about. We project our deep emotional desires onto inanimate things that represent for us our deepest yearnings.

Plushies are awesomely wonderful cuddly imitations .... Oh btw did I mention how much I adore my teddy
    I agree...Great imitations - you see the personality you've assigned it from yourself... It's all created by you...I love my bears to death, but they are just an emotional help to me - they don't take on a personality unless I assign one. It's me creating the story - they don't have their own... But maybe you're closer to your plushies than I am! :P

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 08-Dec-2014 at 18:20. Reason: removing quote of edited out section of post

In that they are bits of cloth, fake fur, and padding, I don't think they have feelings. Having said that as rational guy, that doesn't stop me from treating them as if they do have feelings most of the time. I suppose it's similar to how we often carry on one-sided conversations with pets.

Obviously, animals do have feelings and perception of their own that can be surprisingly sophisticated but to expect that they understand the detail of such things is ridiculous. I think these are just fascinating ways in which we commonly do things that on analysis are a little crazy but are also completely normal and human.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I think they are inanimate objects but at the same time I think you can bond with them pretty tightly and end up with a little fuzzy creature that can inspire feelings of warmth, love and comfort when you cuddle them.

But also in keeping with how children think and the fact that when we regress we kind of enter that state and way of thinking, kids are very good at creating imaginary friends and often times they will turn their stuffed animals into a type of an imaginary friend.

So I don't think they are real with their own feelings and all that but we are quite good at projecting that image on them, and there's nothing wrong with that at all